“Lovely place” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Stockton-on-Tees, England
“Lovely place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Gorgeous hotel, staff were very helpful! Rooms were very clean and had lots of little goodies for you to enjoy! Very quiet on a night and beds are very comfy! I wasnt greatly keen on breakfast but partner loved it! Spa is fab and bar is lovely! Cant wait for dec to go again!!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

We spent a birthday weekend here, and we could not have been happier. The location of the hotel is perfect, just off Princes Street, but quiet none the less. Two minutes to Waverley Station, buses at the door and everything else within walking distance.
On entering, the hotel is very stylish and clean. The staff are lovely, all really friendly and helpful. They were aware of our special occasion and added some lovely little touches, which was really thoughtful, and very much appreciated.
We had lunch in the bar, which was delicious and huge! The bar staff are great, really friendly and chatty and make you feel very welcome. The cocktails are fabulous!
The spa and pool area are very luxurious, we didn't do any treatments but had a relaxing dip and used the sauna and steam room - the perfect start to the day.
The room service menu looked very reasonably priced to me with a varied selection, we didn't use this, but we did have breakfast in our room to finish, which was most enjoyable.
I am so glad I booked this hotel and hope to be back again soon.

1 Thank G_K68
uttoxeter
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

My husband and i stayed for two nights and must say what a pleasant experiance,the staff were very nice and helpful the room was very spacious with everything you could want. The breakfast was good and served with a pleasant smile and helpfullness,the only downside to the hotel was the bar staff which were very slow and did not have all the ingredients for quite a few of the cocktails.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

My husband and I spent the first four days/three nights of our honeymoon at the Apex Waterloo and had a lovely experience! When we arrived the staff was very friendly and helpful, and they had upgraded our room (I believe to a Superior) at no cost. The room was spacious, our wonderful view looked out on Princes Street, the bed was very comfy, and we had complimentary snacks and water--a rarity in most hotels. The location was perfect---we were just off the main drag so it was quiet but easy walking distance to many attractions (Calton Hill, the Royal Mile, Edinburgh Castle, shopping on Princes St), and just a short walk to and from the train station where we arrived and left from.

I can't even think of any "cons" to list, I have nothing but good things to say about our stay. I hope that we will be able to return some time and stay again!

Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

The Apex Waterloo Place Hotel is situated in a very central location in the heart of Edinburgh, It is close to Calton Hill and a short walk from the drop off point for the airport bus and Waverley Station.

When we arrived at the hotel around 11:00 hours we were greeted immediately by the reception staff who were extremely pleasant and welcoming. Our room was ready for us which was a pleasant surprise as we had not expected it to be at that hour of the day. We were shown to Room 914 which faced out towards Calton Hill. We had requested a quiet room and this proved to be the case so it was good to see that our requirements had been taken into consideration.

The room, which was a standard double, was extremely comfortable and equipped with everything that you could need. There was a good supply of teas, coffees and biscuits and an electric kettle. An ironing board and iron, a safe and a hairdryer were also provided. I was delighted to see that the hairdryer was not attached to anything and that the switch operated without having to be held down persistently! That is something which is a real pain with some hotel hairdryers!

The bed was extremely comfortable with really lovely pillows and you could lie in bed and watch the large flat-screen TV (probably 42 inch). The heating/air-conditioning was set at a comfortable level and could be easily controlled within the room.

The bathroom was very clean with lots of towels and good quality toiletries as well as good mirrors. We were impressed by the fact that there was a bath as well as a large walk-in shower and everything in the room functioned well.

We decided not to have breakfast in the hotel as it was rather expensive at £15 a head. Instead we ate at an Italian cafe a short distance from the hotel on the same block. They had a good choice of English and continental breakfasts at a more reasonable price and they did good coffee as well.

The hotel has a restaurant but we didn't eat there so I cannot comment on the food. Howie's restaurant is just a few doors up and we ate there one night. It was very good and is very popular. There are a lot of restaurants within walking distance so there is no difficulty in finding somewhere to eat to suit most tastes.

We didn't use the pool or spa but did look in at the pool which didn't seem particularly large.

The hotel is in a great location close to Princes Street, restaurants, shops, bars, many of the main attractions and public transport. If you want somewhere really comfortable with pleasant, unintrusive and efficient staff this is the place to choose. It is a very well run hotel and we had a really good night's sleep on the two nights that we stayed there. This is an ideal place to stay in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Room 914 is a quiet room and has a view of Calton Hill.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anrosh
Buckingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We had stayed the previous night at the Hilton Grosvenor and what a difference! Rooms are spacious, comfortable and have a luxurious feel (though I was disappointed to find the coffee table and dressing table chipped). Lovely Elemis toiletries and fluffy towels. We used the gym which was well-equipped but was not properly air conditioned and got very warm trying to run on the treadmill. The pool is a nice area and has a boutique feel and despite it being Easter weekend was empty. Though I would have liked a robe to return from the pool area but you only get these in certain rooms. They don’t cost that much and would save walking back to your room in sweaty/wet clothes. The steam room wasn’t working properly and I think this has been mentioned on here before. We didn’t have much interaction with the staff (other than in the restaurant) but when we did it was very polite and our requests met. We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant. Unfortunately the service was dreadful. Took ages for the drinks to arrive, swiftly followed by bread and almost immediately the main course. The waiting on staff would congregate around the reception area chatting whilst we were waiting for drinks/bread etc and there was only a handful of customers dining. The food (a simple steak) was very tasty however the ‘meal deal’ (steak frites and a glass of wine) could have been extended to a beer instead of wine but this was not allowed – really?? So I had my partners wine and he paid extra for the beer. The cafe down the road did good croissants and coffee for a few quid rather than the £15 breakfast in the hotel. The hotel is a short walk to the airport bus and centrally located particularly for the shops.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

My one-night stay was arranged by work who booked this hotel because it is so close to the station and I had an early train. The rooms were very nice, the bar great and the staff all helpful and polite.

However this was somewhat undermined by a bad experience at breakfast. I thought that allowing half an hour for breakfast before I had to leave was plenty. I was rather surprised to see a long queue to the breakfast room, and even more surprised that it took something close to 15 minutes to get seated. I could have understood if the room was full but there were many empty tabled neatly set that I could have been sat at, and that many of the people behind me could have taken.

My coffee and toast order was taken, and I watched as it was brought out of the kitchen, taken round the room, back into the kitchen, round the room again and finally back in to the kitchen never to be seen again despite my trying to attract is attention as it passed.

My cooked breakfast order was taken with only ten of my thirty minutes remaining. I asked if there was time and, to give credit where credit is due, a very nice cooked breakfast appeared very quickly. My coffee, which I'd chased up, finally came with 2 minutes to go so I got a gulp at least. My toast was never heard from again.

There seemed to be lots of activity but little coordination to the staff. The room, although busy, wasn't full and much of the waiting seemed to be disorganisation rather than operating at full capacity. The queue when I left was even longer than when I arrived.

I'm not normally one to linger on a single problem to the exclusion of lots of positives (the very friendly lady on checkout included) but in this case the quick get away, and the breakfast-inclusive room was the single reason for booking and on that basis I couldn't recommend a stay here for business purposes. Perhaps it would not have bothered me quite so much if it had been a relaxing leisure trip.

• Stayed May 2014