“Lovely Hotel, Lovely Staff”

Apex Waterloo Place Hotel
Ranked #34 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel, Lovely Staff”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

From the Minute I arrived until the day of departure I felt all the staff I meet were very professional and very happy and always willing to help you. Check in was very fast, and we had left our luggage in the morning and when we went to check -in our luggage had be taken up to our room for us.
It was a little walk to our room, from the lift and up stairs, (not much signs to tell you your going right direction), but it was worth it, our room was huge (king sized bed with loads cushions, and very comfy pillows), big bath and a separate shower. toweling robes provided and big fluffy towels. The room and bathroom was very clean.
The was complimentary water in the fridge, and espresso machine.
We ate in the hotels restaurant for dinner on the fixed menu (but they also do a la carte) and it was lovely meal, very well presented and very tasty and staff were very efficient.
Breakfast I felt little rushed, and the smoked bacon wasn't too my taste, but my friend had egg benedict and said they were lovely.
The Spa is lovely for a big hotel it was very peaceful and relaxing (pool small ), but it was nice to chill and relax with the steam room and sauna.
This has to be one of the best hotels I have stayed in for a while - with the friendly staff, the small finishing touches about the hotel and in the room, comfy bed and excellent food.
Apex Waterloo is a great place to stay for location too, short stroll from bus station and train station, close to North Bridge for access to Royal Mile, and also minute from Princess Street.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JenPower
AlanHarbisher, General Manager at Apex Waterloo Place Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear JenPower
Thanks for such a wonderful review. It is great to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and following on from our emails and voicemails its great that you already have plans to return.
The Suite you stayed in is a great room and well worth the climb up the stairs!
It is really fantastic to be ranked as one of the best Hotels you have stayed in and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
All the best.
Alan Harbisher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (724)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

Booked a three night stay here over the (English) August Bank Holiday weekend for the Fringe Festival. The hotel is situated in the heart of town, making it very convenient to get around. With bars and restaurants nearby, we didn't use the hotel's, so cannot comment. We drove and parked nearby. Parking can be a bit of a problem, but the hotel offers a discount at a nearby multi-storey car park. If you are coming in my train, the hotel also has an entrance near the station. It's hard to spot though and you need to be "buzzed" in. The facilities are great. Armed with a spa and a pool, it provided a relief from the bustle of the city. Turning to the room (and at the risk of sounding a bit flash), we booked the best room in the place. It was fantastic. Over two floors, a lounge and cloakroom at one level with a huge bedroom and bathroom above. The room was probably one of the best city centre rooms that I have ever used. It is very difficult to find fault in the hotel. The facilities , accommodation and staff are simply first class. Will return.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GregoryWBridges
Dear GregoryWBridges
Thanks so much for the positive review. Sounds like you enjoyed your stay in one of our Duplex Suites and it is great to hear it described as "Probably one of the best city centre rooms that I have ever used"
Discounted parking at the QPark at the Omni Centre is convenient as is our slightly hidden entrance from Calton Road, ideal for Waverley Station also.
I hope you enjoyed some shows during the Festival and that we can hopefully welcome you back in the future.
All the best.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed in Edinburgh for a long holiday weekend and was very happy with my stay at the Apex. The location is perfect and is within easy walking distance of the city center and all of the sights you want to see. Yet through all of the activity during the Fringe festival, there was no street noise so it was perfect for a good night sleep. I also thought the bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever had in a hotel. The wifi worked sporadically in the room but I did find there was a better signal in the lobby and lounge. The staff was very friendly and helpful. After a long day of walking throughout the city, I enjoyed having a drink the the lobby lounge/bar area and thought the room was gorgeous. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Dear wittgrad22
Great review, really pleased that you enjoyed your stay during August. I hope you managed to take in some shows and soak up the Festival atmosphere.
Sorry to hear of the WiFi problems. Our external provider is usually very quick to fix faults, apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Thanks for the positive mention for the team. Always nice to hear, especially during a busy month.
Lets hope we can welcome you back in the future.
Warmest regards
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 August 2014

LOOKING BACK ON IT, the Apex Waterloo Place Hotel was a good, comfortable, ultra-clean resting place while in Edinburgh, and good value. Hotels in Edinburgh during the Festival fill us fast. Get working on your hotel reservation very early (very, very early, gentle reader). Preparing for our Scottish holiday, I researched several hotels online, weighing different elements, and then reached out in e-mail to our short list of favorites—and came up with Apex as our best choice.

Let me be clear: ultimately I chose this Edinburgh hotel over the others because, after researching online, they were the ones who answered my e-mail queries again and again, with the most friendly & generous conscientiousness. The attitude of the entire staff was like that, too, when we got there—unstintingly friendly and generous.

The Alex had good location for us: being a little east on the part of Princes Street called Waterloo Place put us close enough to the Royal Mile to walk home from the Edinburgh Military Tattoo, yet just a little beyond the worst of the traffic & the chaotic Festival sidewalk crowds. The Apex has a deal with a nearby car-park; so, this potentially expensive facet of vacationing was reasonably addressed.

THE APEX WATERLOO PLACE HOTEL is a complete and seamless ultra-modern renovation fitted into a stately older building; so, whatever else you visit, you know you are coming home at night to good comfort—even a great bathroom with an enormous walk-in shower and good water jets. We were in 2 rooms and both were beautiful. My 2 greatest concerns--that I have strong AC and my friend have not too far to walk—were wonderfully fulfilled: one room was right around the corner from the elevator & I tell you, I burst out laughing to find mine was absolutely chilly (Thanks, Nicole!) when I walked in the door. So, the Apex reservation team was very responsive to my personal requests.

Like in equivalent hotels in the U.S., there was an iron & ironing board; but this is England! –so, there was also an electric tea pot & biscuits each day. And rather than needing to make covert kamikaze strikes on the supply cart, the Apex will gladly give you an extra towel or shampoo. It was even a lark to watch the BCC on the good-sized flat-screen TV.

A nagging question for me as a traveler--even though everybody has a laptop--is whether there would be a functional Business Office with computers & paper stocked in the printer, so I can be confident that I’ll be able to print our return flight boarding passes. Well, the Apex gave good boarding pass.

PLEASE NOTE 2 THINGS: there are some rooms on every floor which are reached by a few more stairs down, obviously something to do with parts of the older building yoked together. If this is a concern, ask not to be put in those rooms. Thankfully, I’d read about this on Trip Advisor, and I was fine with carrying hand-baggage down a few stairs--and for that inconvenience, I had a great view out the front looking into the beautiful Calton park. Let me also tell you that the really splendid views I’d seen online looking the other way, across the city hills, are only visible from upper floors where the windows are smaller and dorm-type.

We enjoyed both the restaurant every morning and the bar, which features light-dining. Breakfast was an excellent, generous buffet and during exciting Edinburgh Festival days, it was pleasant to have a leisurely start to the busy day to enjoy its fresh food over newspapers and family conversation. One day, we also took late afternoon luncheon in the light, spacious bar area, and delighted to watch the handsome bartender make one amazingly colorful drink after another while we enjoyed pasta. We were, in fact, offered a discount for that meal because I had booked online. They gave us a significant discount as well for paying in advance. Additionally, it was also a comfort to be in a big hotel with a swimming pool, jacuzzi and spa services. I will re-book as soon as we have dates to return.

Room Tip: Please note: there are some rooms on every floor which are reached by a few more stairs down, obviou...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Hawick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Well have stayed at this hotel many times it is bay far the best in that price range .friendly staff very comfortable beds .clean convenient close to shops theatre and attractions there is parking just round the corner Would recommend .

Room Tip: If posable get room on Waterloo place
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jfalla2014
Dear Jfalla2014
Great to hear you had a brilliant weekend and that you are a regular guest here at Waterloo Place.
We look forward to seeing you again.
Regards
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Just could not fault any of the main things you want out of a hotel. We had a suite and thought for the location it was extremely good value for money. The hotel location is perect. 2 mins from Calton Hill for the best view in Edinburgh, 3 mins from the East side of Princes Street and Waverley station, 2 mins from North Bridge the best way to get to the Royal Mile. Great breakfast. Spacious suite with nice little touches. Especially the bathroom. Nice little spa. Great friendly service.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank StuartfromRugby
Dear StuartfromRugby
Thanks for taking the time to post your positive review. As many reviewers have commented, out location is without doubt one of the best in Edinburgh being so convenient to transport links, attractions and shopping.
Great to hear you enjoyed your stay and hopefully we'll see you returning in the future.
Many thanks
South Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Enjoyed our stay at Apex Waterloo. The location is perfect. Walking distance to old town and other attractions. The room was a little small for three of us but nice. The restaurant for breakfast was good but we found simpler and cheaper alternatives close by after our first morning. Wifi was mostly not working throughout our stay. Shower never got quite hot. AC seems to have a max that doesn't really do the job if you like it on the cool side. The service was very friendly throughout especially the bar and front desk.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear RafarbGeep
Thanks for the positive review despite having had a few issues during your stay. Really sorry to hear of the WiFi problems. Our external provider is usually very quick to resolve any problem. I am sorry that this was not the case on this occasion.
Our AC goes down to 19 degrees Celsius which is normally cool enough for Edinburgh.
It's great that our location suited your needs.
Many thanks for the positive comments re the front desk and bar teams.
I hope we can welcome back should you be visiting Edinburgh again.
Regards