“Best Hotel In Edinburgh?”

Apex Waterloo Place Hotel
Ranked #33 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 30 June 2009

We were so impressed with this hotel that we stayed an extra night. I have attached a letter I worte to the General Manager for everyone to see how happy I was.....

Dear Sirs,
I just want to pass some comments on to you about my visit to your hotel on the 18th, 19th and 20th April 2009. My partner and I have both worked in the leisure industry for many years, we are both GMs of restaurants in Manchester city centre, and I have previously worked as a hotel manager. I tell you this, because I am sure you will appreciate that we will possibly be more critical than many other guests!

From the moment we checked in to the hotel (two hours before the official check in time), I knew we were going to have a pleasant stay. The receptionists (especially Matt) were only too happy to allow us to check in early. The room we were in (835) was exceptionally clean, fresh and very well presented.

I will not go on and on, but I would like to inform you that over the course of our stay we were made to feel especially welcome by all the staff, however I need to tell you about one in particular, that being Jimmy the night porter. Jimmy went the extra mile to ensure that we were looked after, he provided intelligent conversation, and was very attentive to our needs. He did not do any one thing that was majorly impressive, everything he did was impressive. He is a true credit to you and the hotel, and an ambassador for Edinburgh itself.

May I also take this time to thank your domestic staff for finding my mobile telephone (which I left in my room), and ensuring that it was posted to my home address for me. It has arrived safely.

I hope to enjoy many more pleasant stays at your hotel whenever we visit Edinburgh. I have already recommended you to many of my friends, and guests at my restaurant. I do hope that my friends, will also come and enjoy your facilities.

Please pass my comments on to ALL your staff, Matt and the person who found my phone, but especially to Jimmy.

I thank you very much for a most enjoyable weekend break in your fabulous city.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,814)

Reviewed 23 June 2009

I stayed only one night in transit to St. Andrews. My friends were staying at the Balmoral and the Scotsman Hotels - and when I found out their cost I decided to keep looking. This hotel is across the street and a half block down from the Balmoral, and then just across the bridge from the Scotsman. I had a comfortable. pleasant room with a view over rooftops of the clock on the Balmoral Hotel's tower.
I'd stay there again without question -- but I'd skip their breakfast. It's not included, not very quick or tasty, and not a value.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank drivemecrazy
Reviewed 21 June 2009

The hotel is about a 5 minute walk from Waverly Train Station, which is also a major bus stop - and it is just a short walk from the hotel over the bridge to the Royal Mile in Old Town or to George Street in New Town. From that perspective, the hotel was perfect. The hotel had opened earlier in the year so everything was pretty new, which was nice. The rooms were "roomy", and there is a pool and spa area. I would advise that the spa is co-ed, which was not comfortable for me, so I did not take advantage of those facilities. A minor drawback was it took forever for someone at the front desk to answer when we called down from our room on those few occasions, but a bigger drawback, not within the hotel's control, was the construction outside our side of the hotel (of a nearby building), which began before 7am and did in fact serve as an unwelcome wake-up call.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank gmp01
Reviewed 21 June 2009

We stayed one night at the Apex Waterloo Place Hotel. This was probably the best hotel we stayed at during a two-weeks trip in the UK. The room was very attractive, modern and comfortable, quiet, everything worked. Good value for the money, great location near the train station, the New Town and not far from the Old Town.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2009

We stayed at this hotel in June 2009 for 4 nights. We got a great deal from e-bookers, at £50 per night for the room (city double). The hotel has a great location, only a few minutes walk from the train station and ideal for shopping on Princes Street. The old part of the city is only about a 10 minute walk. Check in was easy with no complications. We arrived at 1pm and were given our room straight away. The room was clean and we had the best nights sleep ever, you just sink into the mattress. Good size TV with free view. Nice complimentary tea and biscuits. We did not notice until the last day that our room also had a fridge (the description on the hotel’s website does not state that city doubles have one) it was hidden within the wardrobe, it contained complimentary water which was another nice touch, so look out for that if you book a city double. We did not have breakfast at the hotel (£10) instead we went to the Lloyds bar around the corner near the Playhouse theatre and only paid £3. A good saving as we were there for 4 days. Overall I cannot find anything bad to say about this hotel and would definitely make a return visit if the price was right.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lolteeside
Reviewed 18 June 2009

I stayed here on business and when I first arrived they could not locate my reservation, not really what I wanted to hear after a long day of travelling - however the staff at reception were fantastic, they sat me in the bar and gave me a complimentary drink whilst they sorted out my reservation.

The staff in the restaurant were very attentive and the food was nice, although I would have eaten out elsewhere in town if it hadn't been so late on in the evening as it is quite pricey.

The room was very modern with a great flat screen tv, the view was out to the back of the hotel but then I was only there for one night and so it didn't matter much. I am a very light sleeper but had no problems with noise and the bed was really comfortable.

I needed to check in for my flight home the next day, but the hotels business centre was not yet open so the staff at reception let me use their printer and computer, which I think shows how willing the staff are to make sure you are happy with your stay.

I would have no doubts about staying at this hotel again, it was easy to reach from the airport on the bus, in a good central location and the staff can't do enough for you.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 June 2009

we stayed at this hotel for our wedding anniversary as we decided to take a short break to Edinburgh. we were told the hotel had completed rennovation but on arrival, it was clear that it wasn't as there were still contractors all over the place & a strong smell of paint & plaster. the room we were in was ok, but very basic, there was no dvd player as they hadn't been delivered yet, room service was poor, the bathroom had not been finished off, and the staff were slow. the hotel itself was very quiet & there was no atmosphere. it was more like a B&B. The hotel itself is small, they only have 1 lounge which is really Elliott's bar. We were given complimentary breakfast after we complained to the hotel deputy manager - it was awful!
Personally we would not stay here again, i'm sure there are far better places in the city.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple