“Excellent hotel at a reasonable price”

Apex Waterloo Place Hotel
Ranked #32 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Geneva ,Switzerland
“Excellent hotel at a reasonable price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2009

My wife and I,with our two teenage sons, stayed here for two nights, left for two days and returned for three nights, having left most of our luggage in the hotel's care. The location is brilliant, much better than the apartment hotels which are so popular in this city and is very near to the major shopping streets and historical sights. Check-in and service throughout our stay were very good. Our rooms were of a reasonable size and had very good bathrooms with excellent showers. We had prepaid for breakfast because of the appetites of our teenage sons and this proved to be the correct choice; a full range of cooked breakfasts is on offer and the food is good. Our sons also used the gym and pool which like the rest of the hotel are new and of high quality.My only slight niggle is that the hotel does not have its own garage, so you either park on a meter on the street or park in an NCP car park about ten minutes walk away.As one who has lived in Edinburgh and knows the city well, I recommend the Apex to anyone wanting a comfortable modern hotel in the centre of the city at a reasonable price.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2009

Very pleased with this hotel, and appreciated the reviews written here, so will add to them. The location is lovely, just off the main area, so was nice and quiet, yet we walked everywhere. It's a five minute walk to the train station, and also to the airport bus drop off/pick up location.
Staff very friendly and we found the hotel immaculate. Did not eat breakfast there as the price sounded too high, so enjoyed either food in our room which we kept in the fridge, or had a nice b/fast at various nice places in town. Some good restaurants in the city, so it's worthwhile reading up on them ahead of time, including casual-type places perfect for b/fast.
Room was small looking at first, as it was very narrow, but liked the modern and sleek look. We liked the decent quality laminate that was in part of the room, and nice large bathroom, though the open concept shower seemed to have a problem with the slope of the floor; slope wasn't quite right, so the water ran into the main part of the bathroom! Business centre with free internet was a very nice touch. Would stay with this small chain again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Reading, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2009

Checkin and out were very smooth with friendly staff. Location was excellent. In the middle of Edinburgh short walk to everywhere. Room was excellent. Modern and with huge shower. Car park (15 quid overnight) is round the corner and could be an issue if you have a lot of baggage.

Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2009

Wonderful location, great value for money and wonderfully friendly staff - What more could you want!! This combinationof georgian architecture and uber modern interior makes for a fusion made in hotel heaven. The service was personal and attentive, food 5star and the rooms out of this world. Go....Go now!!!!!

Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2009

There is no doubt that the Apex is gorgeous. From the moment you enter the front door, you are greeted with trendy decor and the rooms are nothing but chic. It is a little pricey, but within 5 minutes walk to the Royal Mile. Save your money, and do not eat at Elliot's, the in-house resteraunt, nor order drinks from their bar. There are plenty of pubs on Rose Street, about a mile away.

Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2009

This hotel is a clever fusion of a Georgian facade and a 1970s office block! Dont let that put you off. Its in a great location, near to many of Edinburghs city centre attractions, and is now the best value hotel in this central location. Many of the citys high priced hotels are nearby. Not sure what their rates are, but I was on a package for business and it cost £99 B&B! Thats a bargain.
The rooms are bang up to date and similar to other APEX hotels I have stayed in. Staff were helpful and the public areas in the old building are very well designed.
The only potential downside is the breakfast area. It didn't happen when I was there, but there must only be tables for around 100 people and I think there are around 200 rooms, so it could lead to queues in the morning.
If the management are reading this, please sort out the wifi. It worked well in my room on level 3 but not anywhere else in the hotel including the meeting rooms. Needs to be reliable to maintain business clients.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone for business or pleasure, and at the rate I got it was one of the best deals for Edinburgh so far.

Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2009

We were so impressed with this hotel that we stayed an extra night. I have attached a letter I worte to the General Manager for everyone to see how happy I was.....

Dear Sirs,
I just want to pass some comments on to you about my visit to your hotel on the 18th, 19th and 20th April 2009. My partner and I have both worked in the leisure industry for many years, we are both GMs of restaurants in Manchester city centre, and I have previously worked as a hotel manager. I tell you this, because I am sure you will appreciate that we will possibly be more critical than many other guests!

From the moment we checked in to the hotel (two hours before the official check in time), I knew we were going to have a pleasant stay. The receptionists (especially Matt) were only too happy to allow us to check in early. The room we were in (835) was exceptionally clean, fresh and very well presented.

I will not go on and on, but I would like to inform you that over the course of our stay we were made to feel especially welcome by all the staff, however I need to tell you about one in particular, that being Jimmy the night porter. Jimmy went the extra mile to ensure that we were looked after, he provided intelligent conversation, and was very attentive to our needs. He did not do any one thing that was majorly impressive, everything he did was impressive. He is a true credit to you and the hotel, and an ambassador for Edinburgh itself.

May I also take this time to thank your domestic staff for finding my mobile telephone (which I left in my room), and ensuring that it was posted to my home address for me. It has arrived safely.

I hope to enjoy many more pleasant stays at your hotel whenever we visit Edinburgh. I have already recommended you to many of my friends, and guests at my restaurant. I do hope that my friends, will also come and enjoy your facilities.

Please pass my comments on to ALL your staff, Matt and the person who found my phone, but especially to Jimmy.

I thank you very much for a most enjoyable weekend break in your fabulous city.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple