“Apex Waterloo Hotel vs. Balmoral Hotel”

Apex Waterloo Place Hotel
Ranked #35 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Athens, Greece
“Apex Waterloo Hotel vs. Balmoral Hotel”
Reviewed 11 August 2009

Just came back from a 15-day trip to Edinburgh. I had originally booked a City Double room with Apex Waterloo for £133 a day (room only). When I arrived at the hotel (1 hour after normal check-in time) my room was not ready, so I had to wait at the bar for more than an hour (drinks were on the house). When I checked in, I was surprised that my room (quite small) was on the ground floor (I had specifically requested a room on a higher floor during my on-line reservation), at the back of the hotel, with just one window overlooking the back alley on the street (anyone could just open the window and visit me at any time). Upon complaining to the concierge, they claimed that they are not obligated to follow customers’ preferences given at time of booking and that they didn’t have any available rooms, but would try to fix that next day. So they did. And what a room it was! They had upgraded my room with a deluxe one and it had great view. All well after all. Apex Waterloo is a nice hotel, one minute from Princess Street and close to everything. I didn’t eat at the restaurant but had a light bite at the bar which was great.

The last 3 days I booked an executive room at the Balmoral hotel for £175 per day (room only). Great room, great hotel, everything was great, but so were the prices. They charged me £1,5 for a telephone call from my room even though I used by own calling card. Didn’t try anything else but had a few drinks at the bar (great bar, with a piano player after 18:00) and the mini-bar in the room (extravagant prices).

Conclusion: If I ever go back to Edinburgh I would definitely book a room at Apex Waterloo Hotel (after all I’m just a bank employee with less than average pay). But if I ever win the lottery, I would definitely go back to the Balmoral Hotel!!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Rena7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (728)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Newcastle
Reviewed 8 August 2009

I have stayed a number of hotel in Edinburgh, but this hotel was perfect. Modern rooms, great location, reasonably priced and lovely staff. I'll be staying here everything I head to this amazing city

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LoriNewcastle
Ireland
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Stayed in the Apex Waterloo Edinburgh for 3 nights lovely hotel really modern bedroom spacious, lovely spa, very central location beside John Lewis shopping centre and Princess Street, ideal location for visiting Edinburgh, recommend the sightseeing bus tour best way to see Edinburgh, food very nice in hotel prices reasonable £9.95 for 2 course lunch with a glass of rose, overall had a really nice stay and would use this hotel again if visiting Edinburgh

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank IrelandMarieB
Sydney, NSW
Reviewed 7 August 2009

I stayed at the Apex Waterloo in July 09 after seeing them advertise in our Scottish paper in Australia ealier in the year. Nice room and very big-great tea and comp water/crisps. Staff all very nice and room was great-nice shower and bath tub to boot. I was on business and simply did not have time to see the spa etc but did take breakfast which was very nice.
My only negatives were noise from the street at night(you hear people coming from the pubs) and it was difficult to get to from Waverley Station-signage is poor and stairs to navigate so if you have lots of luggage best to take a taxi-overall great stay!

Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Vancouver
Reviewed 6 August 2009

We stayed three nights in this hotel and were very pleased. It was quite close to all the attractions and very handy to the rail terminal. The rate was about a third of similar hotels right by the Royal Mile.

The hotel has an older facade but is entirely redone and modern inside. The room was smallish compared to a similar hotel in Canada that I would be used to, but we weren't planning on having any parties. We had breakfast included in our rate which I would encourage people to do. You get to go to the restaurant and have whatever you want off the menu (don't think there are any limitations). They have a great continental buffet and I had the full Scottish cooked breakfast each day which meant I could just get a snack for lunch and still be fine.

One hint if you are coming in or leaving by rail is that there are a bunch of flights of stairs between the rail station and the hotel. If you go down to level zero of the hotel by elevator (lobby is actually level 5) it lets you out right on the same level as the rail station and only a few metres away.

We also say a concert at Edinburgh Castle and it was nice. It rained like crazy for the first while and being outdoors we got soaked. The seats are also too small to sit in for any length of time, especially f you have average to long legs. We dealt with that by having the entire audience standing and dancing to Duran Duran all night.

Some good Edinburgh attractions:
Holyrood House
Edinburgh Castle
Royal Mile walk

The one thing we did that I wasn't terribly impressed was the underground city tour. The company we went with basically took us into a closed off space behind some restaurants and tried to talk over the noise of the music playing in the nightclub on the other side of the wall.... not very scary unless you are frightened of bad hosue bands playing Abba covers poorly as scary.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Provost2
garden grove
Reviewed 5 August 2009

If you like the W hotel, this is the place for you. Super trendy and chic. The hotel lobby is fantastic and the room was ffffabulous. Best bed in europe with full sized plasma and the sweetest bathrooms. Loved this hotel and for some reason we lucked out on the rate. Dont expect this deal though; I think we got the rates because they didnt know if the remodel would be done or not. I dont know, but it was under $100 for the night. If you are paying full price, you should know that some aspects of the room could be considered unacceptable. There was some paint on the carpet and door thresholds, some of the walls had poor patch jobs, the paint around the window was chipping all over and the chair was broken. But this is to be expected I suppose for a brand new hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Daly City, CA
Reviewed 2 August 2009

I took good pictures of our room to boost my very impressive stay here, unfortunately, my professional cam was stolen during my travel to London.
Staff was prompt to respond to my email inquiries and was pleasant during phone conversations as I prepare for my trip while still in US.
The location is GREAT! Located at the city center and a stone throw away from Calton Hill. If you plan a trip to Glasgow which is about a 50-min-train ride, the train station is just a push button away from the elevator. I was delighted to see that button!
The room is clean with complimentary drinks in the small fridge, coffee and tea to brew with cookies to compliment. Flat screen TV, free Wi-Fi, nice staff-- what else could you ask for. The night crew on the desk... I'll give them a thumbs up!! Your warm service will give our family lasting memories of Edinburgh.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family