Just came back from a 15-day trip to Edinburgh. I had originally booked a City Double room with Apex Waterloo for £133 a day (room only). When I arrived at the hotel (1 hour after normal check-in time) my room was not ready, so I had to wait at the bar for more than an hour (drinks were on the house). When I checked in, I was surprised that my room (quite small) was on the ground floor (I had specifically requested a room on a higher floor during my on-line reservation), at the back of the hotel, with just one window overlooking the back alley on the street (anyone could just open the window and visit me at any time). Upon complaining to the concierge, they claimed that they are not obligated to follow customers’ preferences given at time of booking and that they didn’t have any available rooms, but would try to fix that next day. So they did. And what a room it was! They had upgraded my room with a deluxe one and it had great view. All well after all. Apex Waterloo is a nice hotel, one minute from Princess Street and close to everything. I didn’t eat at the restaurant but had a light bite at the bar which was great.
The last 3 days I booked an executive room at the Balmoral hotel for £175 per day (room only). Great room, great hotel, everything was great, but so were the prices. They charged me £1,5 for a telephone call from my room even though I used by own calling card. Didn’t try anything else but had a few drinks at the bar (great bar, with a piano player after 18:00) and the mini-bar in the room (extravagant prices).
Conclusion: If I ever go back to Edinburgh I would definitely book a room at Apex Waterloo Hotel (after all I’m just a bank employee with less than average pay). But if I ever win the lottery, I would definitely go back to the Balmoral Hotel!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in one of Edinburgh’s best spots at the east end of Princes Street, Apex Waterloo Place Hotel is within walking distance of the famous Edinburgh Castle and is just a few minutes’ walk from Calton Hill. George Street and The Royal Mile are also close by in this compact city centre. The classic Georgian architecture complemented by contemporary interiors make this hotel unique. Each bedroom is spacious and includes a 42” TV, complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, bath and/or walk-in shower and Elemis toiletries. As a guest, you’ll also get complimentary use of the leisure facilities. An indoor swimming pool, sauna, steam room and Technogym make the perfect place to relax or escape from the stresses of everyday life. Time for more? Pamper yourself with an Elemis treatment at PURE Spa & Beauty. You can choose from a wide selection of restaurants and bars throughout the city during your stay, many of which are close by in the George Street area. If you’re looking for a traditional Scottish dish and a cosy bar away from the bustle of the town, look no further than Elliot’s Restaurant & Bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Ebookers, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Apex Waterloo Place Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apex Waterloo Place Edinburgh
- Hotel Apex Waterloo Place
- Apex Waterloo Place Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland