“This is an astonishing hotel within walking distance of all Edinburgh ’s sites”

Apex Waterloo Place Hotel
Ranked #34 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Annan
Reviewed 12 October 2010

I have visited this Hotel four times now. We stayed on the 27/09/2010 – 30/09/2010 and it was 1st class. We arrived early Monday morning 10ish and the reception staff were very helpful. They even informed us our room was ready to check in long before the normal 14:30 check in, which was brilliant as we could freshen up before a long day of sightseeing. (This would not always be the case however the Hotel would look after any suitcases/bags etc. until you could check in)

We were on the 9th floor and the room was massive with 6 big windows in the bed room and even 2 large windows in the bathroom, which all had great views of the City and Leith. Comfy King Size bed, 42” LCD TV with DVD player, spacious bathroom with walk in shower and big bath,bath robes and a rubber duck. Room also had complimentary bottles of water, Coffee/Tea making facilities and a safe.

The Sauna, steam room, whirlpool and swimming pool are a welcome rest from all the shopping etc.

We did not eat in the Hotel but the menus looked 1st class and the bar in the reception was well stocked with everything you could ever hope for.

Check out was at 12pm and our train did not leave until 18:00 but the reception staff looked after our bags until we were leaving which was superb.

Overall you can not fault this hotel in anyway possible, luxurious surroundings and outstanding staff.

Highly recommenced and will be returning, no doubts about it

BIG thank you to Karishma

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (717)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Nashville
Reviewed 8 October 2010

The Apex Waterloo is a very nice boutique hotel in a historic building. It's a great location at the end of Princes Street near the North Bridge so it's close to good shopping as well as the Royal Mile. Check in was efficient and I found the staff to be very helpful with directions, taxis, etc. Our rooms were on the small side, which I expect in a city boutique hotel, but with very comfortable beds and nicely decorated. My room was very clean and they had nice touches like a little shortbread to go with the tea makings. Despite being a city hotel, it was pretty quiet at night. Did not try breakfast as we preferred to walk down the street to the little Italian cafe for excellent cappucinos but room service was efficient and the food was good. We really liked the bar area which was more of a "living room" set up with groupings of couches and chairs. It was a great spot to relax after sightseeing all day. Only criticism was that either the bar staff was overwhelmed or new as it was a challenge at times to order a drink. All in all it was a good stay - clean rooms, good water pressure in shower, comfy beds and a great location.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Midlands
Reviewed 8 October 2010

We stayed at this hotel for four nights, including my wife's birthday, and I don't regret the choice of hotel one bit. It's situated well within reach of the train station/bus stands, at the far easterly end of Princes Street. It's less than 10 mins walk to the Royal Mile, and right next to Calton Hill for unparalleled views of the city.

First impressions were of a very modern hotel, with minimalist, sleek design. We got there before 12 noon, and were pleasantly surprised that our room was ready early. We paid a bit extra for a 'superior room', and I'm really glad we did. It's a bit bigger, and we even got a corner room with windows on two sides. The rooms are fantastic - clean, modern and comfortable. The superior rooms have a couch in front of a large 42" flatscreen TV with freeview channels. The bathroom suite was pure luxury, with large tub, walk-in shower, all-over tiles, etc. My only issues with the rooms was that the bathroom was a bit cold, as there was no heating in there (not even a heated towel rail) and very noisy compared to the bedroom - lots of street noise seemed to get through. The only time we noticed any noise at night was on the Monday, when the nightclub across the road to the rear of the hotel had a big night, and the clubbers were continuing their party on the street for a short while. Other than that it was pretty quiet.

A bonus is definitely the free wi-fi in all areas of the hotel, accessible via a card from reception.

What made this hotel was the attentive staff - the team is really large, so we didn't exactly strike up a rapport with any particular staff members even in five days, but every single member of the serving and cleaning team were on hand to fulfil even the smallest request. Breakfast in Elliott's restaurant was great, and again you could deviate from the menu as much as you liked and the staff would accommodate.

The only time the hospitality failed me a bit was when I went for an evening drink in the bar - as a first-time visitor to Edinburgh I was expecting a good selection of malt whisky - unfortunately there was nothing that you wouldn't find in your nearest Threshers, and the barman wasn't at all knowledgeable about whisky. Still, the wine list was pretty good.

As a really nice touch, I called ahead a week before our stay and asked if they could arrange anything for my wife's birthday - they arranged a cake, and a complimentary bottle of wine, which arrived exactly at the arranged time. Very efficient.

My wife used the spa facilities (no treatments as far as we could tell though), and the swimming pool and steam room were very good.

All in all a fantastic stay. It's a testament to this hotel that several people in Edinburgh who asked where we were staying were very impressed when we told them - it has a good reputation even amongst local businesses.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Rajapalayam, India
Reviewed 8 October 2010

I loved this hotel so much and I wish to stay again and again. The rooms are very big that you can play running around. Lot of toilet amenties, towels, etc were given in the hotel. The pool, spa was very good. It is very close to Waverley Train station and so very easy to access. I did not use the restaurant and so not sure about the food.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 7 October 2010

The room I stayed in was smallish and looked run down. I didnt feel it was cleaned properly and although the hotel is fairly new the shower was in a bad state with tiles coming off and mould showing. The walls of the room had 3 different beige/white tones which made the room look run down.
The biggest no go was service. Very young inexperienced staff that were borderline rude. I tried to order room service and had to phone 5 times until someone picked up the phone. After ordering a glass of wine they charged me almoust £3.- service charge to bring the glass to my room (with the kitchen being 10 meters away). What a disgrace!
The location is good but I would not stay here again. A shame. With a bit of help this could be a ncie hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Ardee, Ireland
Reviewed 6 October 2010

We chose the Apex Waterloo Place on the basis of reviews here on Tripadvisor. On arrival first impressions were excellent. The hotel is very ideally located. It's at the end of Prince's Street and within metres of the bus stop. It's also 2 minutes away from Waverley station. I had called ahead to check if it would be ok for an extra early check in as our flight arrived at 7:30 on the day of check in. Sure enough upon arrival we were able to check in however the reception was not aware of my request/query so they were taken a little off guard by our arrival. Check in was swift, courteous and professional. All hotel and area amenities were pointed out to us and we went to our room for some sleep. We booked a superior double room. Size is very acceptable with all the amenities as described. Throughout our stay the room was cleaned daily however there were some things missed by housekeeping e.g. cleaning/replacing glasses in the bathroom although any issues were very minor. The room was facing the street and I had noted that some reviews mentioned street noise. Yes this is noticable as the windows are original to the building which is in excess of 100 years old. The noise is however in no way intrusive or off putting. One final word of note on the room is that it's clear that the hotel received a makeover in the recent past. What was noticable in our room though were that there were still tell tale signs of 'construction' e.g. blue shrink rap plastic on bathroom fittings etc and some of the tiling in the bathroom was in 'could do better' condition. I also noticed the wall coming away from above the A/C unit in the room. Look these are all small niggles and generally out of your eye line but they were noticable to me and also made me wonder how seriously the hotel take their maintenance and upkeep of the rooms. Do not let my description put you off though - the room was nice, modern and otherwise kept well. On our first night we ate in the hotel restaurant. Menu is a mix of Scottish and French cuisine. It's not the cheapest that's for sure but is not overly expensive. The one thing of note from our dining experience was the service. Whilst generally good the waiter got the starter order wrong - he did apologise and swiftly organised a replacement. Unfortunately he also got the order of wine wrong too however this was rectified quickly too. Food was a good quality and well presented. Other amenities we took advantage of during our stay were the gym, pool, sauna, steam room and business centre. All top notch, no issues here. On our last day I asked reception if it would be possible to organise a late check out as our flight was a late departure. I was advised that they were expecting most rooms to be full the following day so it wasn't possible however they did extend our checkout time by an hour as a gesture at no charge so in fairness they met us half way. True to their word, the hotel was indeed packed the following morning. The hotel took charge of our luggage for the rest of the day until we returned to head for the airport. All in all to sum up our stay it was good with some could do better aspects but nothing to put me off staying here again. I would recommend and if any of the above appears to bother you when you check in, I doubt the hotel would have any issues stepping up to the plate and sorting it for you.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Grantham UK
Reviewed 6 October 2010

This place has an excellent location if you arrive by train. It's just off the east end of Princes Street and both old and new towns are a ten minute stroll away.

All facilities in the hotel were fine, the room decor was modern and to a good standard. The bathroom was superb with a really big walk-in shower.
Breakfast was excellent on both days. On the second, there was a large conference in the hotel so we had to wait 5 minutes for a table. Not bad in exceptional circumstances I'd say. On both mornings the hot food arrived very fast, before I'd finished the yoghurt and fruit, but it would be harsh to criticse that.

Dinner in Elliots was OK but a bit odd. Portions were small but the food interesting and I certainly left the table feeling I'd had a good meal. I wouldn't rush back for dinner but I'd be happy to eat there again. The dinner on the second evening at Howies just up the road was far better though.
Service was patchy throughout. Some of the staff were excellent , remembering us from one day to the next, whilst others were slapdash. I had to point out that a bottle of wine hadn't been charged to my dinner bill for instance.
As we were on a leisure visit, the absence of any local information in the room and the fact that there were none of the usual leaflets in reception was a bit of a disappointment. The hotel does seem pretty geared to the business and conference trade.

I'd certainly stay there again and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple