“Perfect Stay”

Ranked #33 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Chorley
“Perfect Stay”
Reviewed 18 November 2010

We stayed at the Apex Waterloo for my birthday weekend and had a wonderful time. The location was excellent, only 5 minutes from Waverley Station and the Airport buses. Check in was friendly and efficient and we were quickly directed to our room on the 8th floor. We had booked into a standard city room through Airmiles, but my boyfriend had secretly upgraded us to a Master Suite!

The room was beautiful, with a large seperate living area, huge bed and lovely bathroom with stand alone bath and power shower. We even had a view of Authur's Seat out of the main living room window. Whilst I was marvelling at how nice the room was, my boyfriend got down on one knee and proposed!

Needless to say, we had a wonderful weekend! Breakfast was lovely, lots of choice on both the cold buffet (delicious croissants!) and off the menu for the hot food options. We didn't eat in the restaurant at night as we prefered to eat out - I would definetly recommend Wildfire on Rose Street for a lovely dinner.

All the staff we polite and helpful, ordering us taxis in the evening and sorting out late check out for us when we were leaving. I would definetely return to this hotel and would recommend it to anyone wanting a quality hotel in an excellent location.

Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (714)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Yorkshire
Reviewed 14 November 2010

My wife and I were looking for a central hotel for a two day trip to Edinburgh which would allow us to be conveniently located for all the major shops etc, yet not expensive because we weren't planning on spending any significant time in the hotel (apart from sleeping). Added to that, a desire for quiet comfort, clean and not 'tired'....and I think we came up trumps with the Apex Waterloo Place.
Right from the really helpful telesales assistant (who clearly knew the details of our chosen hotel), to the quiet, unobtrusive, yet helpful reception staff, we couldn't have been happier.
The room was clean and quiet, with a large new walk-in shower separate from the bath, a big TV (sadly no Sky Sports, but we weren't in the room long enough to worry). The reception staff offered to help at every stage - to look after luggage after check-out, order us a taxi (took 3 mins to arrive!) and anything else we wanted. Great!
We didn't see or use the spa or pool so can't comment.
We also popped 4 doors down Waterloo Place to a lovely Italian cafe for a lighter breakfast bacon roll and superb coffee, rather than use the hotel breakfast served in their 'Elliot's Restaurant'.
I will definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
scotland
Reviewed 8 November 2010

This hotel is a gem in Edinburgh and a must choice for any guest business or leisure wanting a quality classy hotel in a wonderful location .
Combining the great old charm of Edinburgh with an elegant modern twist.

Location is perfect - minutes from the main railway station and in the heart of the city.

Rooms are spacious very very clean with all the modcons that you would expect. The beds and bedding are top quality for the perfect nights sleep. If you can afford to upgrade to a deluxe room it is well worth it.

Pool and Spa area are lovely. The pool is small, but it is an ideal place to relacx and unwind after a hectic day shopping and the sauna/steam room are an added bonus.

Restaurant and bar is the place to be seen in Edinburgh. The bar has an elegant atmosphere and a great selection of drinks and snacks. The restaurant has a great seasonal menu and the food is awesome.

Staff and service - well all I can say is everybody has a smile and nothing ever seems to be a problem.

In summary in my opinion this is the perfect all round quality hotel in central Edinburgh and I have already booked my next visit to the hotel and I can't wait

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank future6150
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2010

Found this hotel via Tripadvisor and was not disappointed. Location is perfect to walk everywhere and the room was clean, spacious and very nicely decorated. Didn't eat in the restaurant but the menu and food looked good. There is a good (and reasonably priced) eating place for breakfasts/snacks just outside the hotel. Turn right and on the corner. Would have no hesitation recomending this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010
London, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,108 helpful votes
Reviewed 6 November 2010

I didn't have great expectations of this hotel as, having stayed in Edinburgh on business a number of times before, I'd found the hotels average and the staff generally unhelpful. But the Apex proved me wrong; it's a lovely hotel for a couple of days, in a fabulous location for exploring the city on foot and with friendly staff.

We were there on business during the Festival and even so it was a peaceful haven with nicely furnished rooms, lovely bathrooms (love the bath duck they leave for you!) and a modern, yet unflustered air. Breakfast was a bit average but it was during Festival and to be fair the basics were well covered. And best of all it isn't too expensive. Most hotels during Festival charge crazy money but this was a good hotel at a good price and for that alone Apex deserve a 'well done'.

I'd certainly stay again on business, although when I go up with the family, I may want somewhere that feels a little more suited to that market.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank NBLondon
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 3 November 2010

Unfortunately my first impression of the Apex wasn't good as the receptionist looked as if the world was coming to an end & certainly didn't give a warm welcome. I put it down to a bad day but it was the same the next morning when I went to report a blown lightbulb in my room. I just stayed here for 5 nights and the bed clothes were NEVER changed and eventhough I had booked a double room I got two seperately made up single beds pushed together.

While the location is good there are LOTS of hotels in the area for the same price or cheaper so I'd recommend you try one of them before the Apex. While the staff are polite I can't say they are friendly with the exception of a small blond Scottish lady at reception who is lovely. Good points for the hotel are the leisure centre is nice though it's a pity it doesn't have a jacuzzi and every day the maid left lovely shortcake biscuits in the room.

I'm conscious that I'm going against the trend on reviews for this hotel and seem like a very fussy guest but I'm being honest as Trip Adviosr is a great place for giving advice.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank figurecollectors
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2010

Stayed at this hotel recently and was amazed to have found such a excellent hotel in the heart of Edinburgh. The hotel is in an amazing location right beside princess street. The room we got was spacious, clean and modern. The bed was so comfortable and bathroom was spotlessly clean. Staff were very friendly and very helpful. All in all we have a fab stay and will definitely be returning.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple