“Everthing was fine until.....”

Apex Waterloo Place Hotel
Ranked #33 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 26 November 2010

We liked this hotel. It was very close to the train, easy to get to the airport, and generally well situated in the city on Princes St. The bed was comfortable, free internet access when it worked, sink and shower drains that drained quickly. I would stay here again but with a caveat. Bring your own alarm clock if you have a need to awake in the early morning. We had arranged for a 6:00am wake up call but as a precaution had our personal alarm set to 6:15am. My wife awoke at 6:00am and proceeded to get ready to leave while I waited to answer the wake up call. It never came. As we checked out, we asked about it and rec'd an almost sincere "Sorry."

Reviewed 22 November 2010

I have just returned from a long weekend break to Edinburgh with my wife and stayed at this hotel. It is conveniently located within walking distance from most of the tourist places. We upgraded our room to a delux double but having stayed in a number of hotels I wouldn't really say it was a deluxe room - more of a standard room with a big flatscreen TV although it was nicely decorated and tidy. We didn't pay extra for breakfast as there was a nice cafe next door that did a nice breakfast for half the price. The one downside to our break was the fire alarm going off early on Saturday morning which was a nuisance as we were hoping for a few more hours sleep. When this has happened in a hotel in the past a simple letter of apology was posted under the door from the manager which went a long way. Here however we stood out in the cold, when it was ok to go back in, the staff simply walked inside and we just followed without being told anything which I was rather annoyed about. All in all it is a nice hotel and is very clean and I would return again, I was just disappointed with the fire alarm and no explanation or apology for the inconvenience.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 22 November 2010

I stayed here on Saturday 20th November for my 21st birthday with my boyfriend for a weekend away. I was very impressed with the location and look of the hotel, and the staff were exceptionally friendly. I had booked a City Double and was very pleased to discover that we had been upgraded to the Superior Double and we had been given a bottle of wine as a gift for my birthday. The rooms were huge, extremely clean and comfortable. The food was excellent. I would defiantly stay in this hotel again.

Reviewed 20 November 2010

Beautiful stay in edinburgh. Arrived on a sunday for 2 night stay for my birthday. location is brilliant 5 min walk to station. Checkin was a breeze although the checkin girl could have tried to force a smile she seemed a little stiff. We decide to upgrade to the deluxe rooms for 35 pounds per night.
Our room was on the 9th floor. The room overlooked the front of the hotel. The room was beautifully appointed. Extremely comfortable bed. Had the best night sleep in long while on our first night. Second night not as good but bed was extremely comfortable. As others have mentioned the building is an old building so the windows are not double glazzed so you do hear everything but it was quite at night toward the front of the building not so much during the day but like us you would be out exploring all day. Huge flat screen tv, nice shower and bath and elemis toiletries topped it.

We did not have breakfast included in our rate but could ask for it to be added at 10 per person for full breakfast. On our first morning we went to the italian restaurant a few buildings up from the hotel. They did a good cheap breakfast for about 6. On the second day we decided to book the hotel breakfast for 10. It was quite good, cereal, juices, yogurt , breads , full scottish breakfast.
We also had a drink in the bar which was nice and relaxing.
We didnt use the spa or swimming pool. The hotel is about 15mins walk to the castle. I recommend also visiting the camera obscure and if ur brave climb the scotts memorial monument (290 steps).
Upon checkout we left our bags at the hotel to go shopping before our train back to london. Princess street is just 5 mins away. We notice on our final bill somebody had charged a drink to our room. This was quickly dealt with and the charge was taken off.
I would recommend this hotel for a nice relaxing stay in edinburgh with everything a shortish walk away.

Reviewed 19 November 2010

Stayed one night but will definitely stay again. The hotel staff from checking in were friendly, polite and very helpful, as were all hotel staff. The room was very well furnished and spotlessly clean. i loved all the little touches epecially the Apex duck in the bathroom which you can take home with you. The bathroom also had tub and seperate shower, quality toiletries and big, fluffy towels. Everything in the room was good quality and well thought out.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 18 November 2010

We stayed at the Apex Waterloo for my birthday weekend and had a wonderful time. The location was excellent, only 5 minutes from Waverley Station and the Airport buses. Check in was friendly and efficient and we were quickly directed to our room on the 8th floor. We had booked into a standard city room through Airmiles, but my boyfriend had secretly upgraded us to a Master Suite!

The room was beautiful, with a large seperate living area, huge bed and lovely bathroom with stand alone bath and power shower. We even had a view of Authur's Seat out of the main living room window. Whilst I was marvelling at how nice the room was, my boyfriend got down on one knee and proposed!

Needless to say, we had a wonderful weekend! Breakfast was lovely, lots of choice on both the cold buffet (delicious croissants!) and off the menu for the hot food options. We didn't eat in the restaurant at night as we prefered to eat out - I would definetly recommend Wildfire on Rose Street for a lovely dinner.

All the staff we polite and helpful, ordering us taxis in the evening and sorting out late check out for us when we were leaving. I would definetely return to this hotel and would recommend it to anyone wanting a quality hotel in an excellent location.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2010

My wife and I were looking for a central hotel for a two day trip to Edinburgh which would allow us to be conveniently located for all the major shops etc, yet not expensive because we weren't planning on spending any significant time in the hotel (apart from sleeping). Added to that, a desire for quiet comfort, clean and not 'tired'....and I think we came up trumps with the Apex Waterloo Place.
Right from the really helpful telesales assistant (who clearly knew the details of our chosen hotel), to the quiet, unobtrusive, yet helpful reception staff, we couldn't have been happier.
The room was clean and quiet, with a large new walk-in shower separate from the bath, a big TV (sadly no Sky Sports, but we weren't in the room long enough to worry). The reception staff offered to help at every stage - to look after luggage after check-out, order us a taxi (took 3 mins to arrive!) and anything else we wanted. Great!
We didn't see or use the spa or pool so can't comment.
We also popped 4 doors down Waterloo Place to a lovely Italian cafe for a lighter breakfast bacon roll and superb coffee, rather than use the hotel breakfast served in their 'Elliot's Restaurant'.
I will definitely use this hotel again.