“Great value for money”

Ranked #33 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
surrey
“Great value for money”
Reviewed 8 March 2011

A really good hotel - pleasantly surprised! All you would expect from a 4* - with a nice bar and dining area and small pool ideal for an early evening swim. We had a good sized family room with bath and walk in shower, sofa bed for daughter and plenty of space.
Bar was nice and drinks reasonably priced. We stayed for £100 per night for all 3 of us including breakfast, which thought was good value for money. Had great service for 3 mornings at breakfast, although the last day things seemed to go wrong when they had a new menu and had to wait a while. All in all a good hotel and would recommend.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank caba_7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (714)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2011

Stayed at the Apex Waterloo Place hotel on a Saturday night and I have to say was well impressed. Stayed in a City Room which had a huge king size bed with a large bathroom. Hotel was immaculate, room was very clean and roomy. You can even get access to the hotel from the station which is much easier. Breakfast is served to you at your table.

Loved the idea of a little duck that is left on the side of the bath for you.

would definately recommend this hotel to anybody that would like a little bit of luxury in a lovely city bustling with shoppers.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed 6 March 2011

My husband and I stayed over the Saturday before Christmas and did all our gift buying in one day. We relaxed by having a swim in the pool and chilling out in the steam room and sauna. The hotel is ideally placed for shopping and sight seeing. We definitely plan to do the same this year! I have friends coming from France this weekend who are staying a couple of days in Edinburgh before meeting up, I have recommended this hotel for them. Most city centres with old buildings don't have parking so I wasn't phased by this. There is a car park next to the Omni Centre, NCP I think which is about 4 minutes walk. The hotel staff scan your ticket to give you a discount, I think I paid £20 for overnight parking which I factored into the cost of the trip. Plenty of restaurants and bars to walk to. The Omni Centre has bars, restaurant, cinema and comedy club if you don't want to travel far from the hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Berwick-upon-Tweed, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2011

A nice, simple review - I thought the Apex was excellent in every respect. Very attractive ambience; excellent location; friendly & efficient staff; proper, freshly-cooked breakfast. I'll certainly use the Apex if I have to stay overnight in Edinburgh again. Even the room air-conditioning worked well.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2011

I was in the area for an interview so i only stayed one night (£85 for double room). I really loved the room (10th floor, room 16). The bed is huge. The bathroom is fantastic and all very clean. Large flatscreen TV, iron, kettle, mini-fridge, free and quick wi-fi, air conditioning etc. I wouldnt change anything about the room, It was lovely. We had free access to the sauna/swimming pool etc but unfortunately we were simply too tired and didnt have clothes to change into so we didnt use them.

We didnt eat in the hotel but i liked that we could have ordered food/wine to our room at any time and it wasnt as overpriced as I would've expected. We ate in the pizza place close to the hotel in princes street direction, it was nice! The staff were friendly and kept our bags for us for a few hours after we checked out.

Perfect location. This hotel is just off the top of princes street, a 5-minute walk from waverley station and the buses, we took the bus to and from the airport so I wanted to be close to waverley station. There were no issues about noise or anything when I stayed in the hotel, we had a good sleep. It seems like a good area.

The only thing that might be an annoyance for some is there was no hairdryer, perhaps you need to ask for one? but this didnt bother me as I hate hotel hairdryers and would bring my own if im staying longer. but i really cant find any faults with the hotel. I would definitely stay there again I absolutely loved the room and bathroom.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Boston, MA
Reviewed 2 March 2011

Spiffy new interior with confortable rooms, a nice bar and restaurant, friendly staff, and convenient location. There were a couple of rough edges here and there (e.g., room service trays left in the stairwells for long periods of time) and the new wing had low ceilings and doors (I'm a shade under 6'7" and couldn't clear the room door frame) but overall a very positive experience.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
West Midlands
Reviewed 28 February 2011

If you are considering staying at this hotel, do it!! I stayed here over Hogmanay a year ago, and everything about the trip was great. Edinburgh is a lovely place and this hotel is in a central location, only a 5 minute walk from train station. There are a few bars very near to hotel; One is a gorgeous cocktail bar but I can't remember the name! It's somewhere on the cobbled backstreets off the street that runs behind the hotel. It had a really cool vibe with decadent decor and the cocktails were super. Even when going to bars further into the centre of town I didn't need to get a taxi because of the great location of hotel and so saved money.

Rooms are decorated lovely and modern and are very clean. Absolutely no complaints!

Staff were lovely. One evening my partner wanted a quick night-cap after a night out. It was late and no one else was in hotel bar, so they were closing up for night. As soon as they saw my partner he was served a drink, was not rushed, and to top it off it was on the house!! That was the second drink we were given free: we got a complimentary drink when we checked in because we had to wait for our room to be ready, which I thought was a really nice touch.

Breakfast was superb. Really good choices on offer but the 'Scottish breakfast'- complete with haggis- was always what we chose! Delicious and presented with care and style!

Such an enjoyable stay, I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple