“Basic accommodation”
Review of Masson House

Masson House
Ranked #122 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This Hotel is a Hotel/Student Accommodation in partnership with another hotel which is a large old mansion house. Masson House visually is the ugly cousin.

The Hotel is located in the university grounds. It is about a 15 minute walk from South Bridge and 20ish minutes from the Royal Mile. It's approx a 8 pound taxi ride.

The rooms are basic ours was quite small, couldn't pull the chair our from the desk as it ran into the bed. The rooms are clean you get tea making facilities and tv, the rooms are warm. The bathroom is a wet room. Personally I'm not a fan of the wet room as despite best efforts the whole bathroom got quite wet with every shower.

Breakfast has a wide variety and is located in Masson house. The staff were lovely all very helpful and pleasant they were the best part of the hotel.

Masson house isn't much to look at but it does provide you with everything you need.

As my partner and I stayed over Hogmanay and booked late it was very expensive more so than the hotel should be but I do not believe that to be the average cost of a room here.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hannahkt90

Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

I was a bit nervous going to this "hotel" when soon after booking I noticed an incorrect higher amount had been taken from my account. I had never experienced this with any other hotel booking. When I phoned back I was spoken to like a child and asked to email a copy of my bank statement to prove it. When I asked if they had no record of how much they took, the woman on the phone said she was a receptionist and not in the finance department.

It was a couple of days before my course was due to start at the nearby John McIntyre Conference Centre - a stone's throw from Masson House - and I was busy at work so decided to sort it out when I arrived. Fortunately the next day an email came through with an apology and a refund.

It is basic student accommodation with a communal kitchen. My single room was warm, bedding was clean except for a long strand of blond hair on the ironed pillow-case, but the bed was comfortable enough and I slept well both nights. There was free wifi too and a desk. The ensuite wet room with water closet and sink all fitted quite ingeniously into a very tiny space. Unfortunately steam took a while to clear and I could not use the bathroom mirror.

For breakfast one could have both traditional and continental. I noticed the few other guests having this combination although the traditional was quite enough for me. The food was average, service friendly.

There is no provision for supper, and without a car, the prospect of getting the bus into town at that time was not good for a solo female guest and the advice given at the reception to walk to a nearby pub did not seem appropriate. Anyway I used the Just Eat app on my phone to order a take-away, and all was solved.

Overall just ok, but would try somewhere else if I go back that way.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Intrepidbirdlady
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Given one key for 2 people which was useless as you needed a fob to get to your room there for we had to stay together for everything. The walls were paper thin felt like those in the corridor and next room were in our room. Breakfast had a good selection and the breakfast times were great as it started early and finished late. Beds were comfy however very noisy. Staff were friendly. WAAAY overpriced.

1  Thank Chloe H
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed 2 nights in this hotel for the Hogmanay celebrations.
we were greeted by friendly efficient polite staff. There was no problem with parking in the drop off bay outside the front door while we checked in and unloaded our bags.
The room was clean and tidy,not luxury but fair for the price I paid at this time of year.
Access to the city centre is so easy with a bus stop right outside the gate and busses every few minutes.The journey takes around 5 minutes,or on new years day we walked home,it took around 25 minutes at a leisurely stroll.
The breakfast was a great experience.Greated by a very friendly informative member of staff who escorted us to a table.The spread of fruit juices,cereals,fruits,cold meats and cheeses that greated us was very impressive.The hot breakfast was delicious and served quickly and efficiently,any items that were close to running out were replaced immediately.All the staff were pleasant and polite.
The chamber maid was friendly and chatty unlike so many places where all you get is a grunt when you try to strike up a conversation or they only speak limited English.
The only criticism I have is poor signposting for drivers when you are trying to find each building.In fact there is no signposting for drivers it is all for pedestrians.However that is a minor problem.Overall this hotel made my experience of Edinurgh a great one.I would definately stay there again.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I always leave an unbiased review, and although we had a bad experience, I'll start with the positives. It is clean, the rooms are small but adequate and though a little rough around the edges, it was a good location if you paid between 50 - 70GBP per night. We didn't, double that, and you'll find the price this hotel charges for a nights stay. Oh it has free parking though, but the breakfast is not all that. There's variety, but that's about it.

So, on that note. I'll start with the bad. For 120+GBP a night, a hotel room shouldn't be:
1. So noisy that you can vividly hear neighbours snoring, hear their conversations word for word. Throughout the night.
2. Next to a slamming door. The door to get into the corridor block shouldn't SLAM every time someone comes into their room. Lots of guests = lots of door slamming.
3. There is no separation from the rest of the guests. Fine, if the price of stay was cheaper. But you feel like you're on a short break with everyone else on the floor, privy to all their overheard conversations through the paper thin walls et al.
4. Key entry, was fiddly too because the key kept getting stuck.

So, good location and room, just too bad about the noise. It is so important, for me anyway. We ended up driving back home instead of staying an extra night, the rooms were full and so we couldn't be moved. If you do book, remember to bring your earplugs. I wish I had.

P.S Room number 101, don't do it. Seriously.

Room Tip: Do not choose room number 101. If they give this to you, walk out get another hotel.
1  Thank Minnz
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I stayed again at the Masson House and overall it was I expected. I am still pleased with the cost and experience. However unlike last year when I gave it top ratings, this year I did not. The leg on the bedside table was falling off and the room didn't feel as clean as my experience last year. I had particular concerns about the carpet since if someone had vacuumed recently they would have discovered the broken table leg. Time to check the rooms and make sure everything is in good working shape.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2013

If you're looking for a decent budget hotel then you cannot go wrong with Masson House. As others have stated, yes, it's part of the university campus, but do not let that put you off! The rooms are small, basic but clean and have everything you'd need - bed, en-suite shower room, complimentary toiletries, tea & coffee facilities and a hearty breakfast thrown in too! I didn't experience any of the noise disruption others have mentioned, and because of the location, there are a plethora of affordable bars and restaurants right on the doorstep. Only 15-20 minute walk to the Royal Mile if you want to dine somewhere less studenty. Edinburgh is notoriously expensive (in fact I've paid more on previous trips to stay in bunk beds at a hostel!) and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple