“Hidden Gem”

Ranked #154 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, New York
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Number 45 is a nice bed and breakfast on Gilmour Road. My single room was small but it is just perfect if all you need is a nice, clean and quiet place to sleep. I had to go down the hall to the bathroom, but the bathrooms are individualy assigned. I did not get to try the breakfast, because I was always out early to start my photography. Right across the street is a bowling club. Just around the corner is Craigmillar Park, a major street with several bus routes, so it is very easy to get to various places around the city. I'm hoping to go back to Edinburgh in 2012, and I'll look for a room here first.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank CiderRich

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2011

The family room was excellent, and Mr Bill and Mrs Helene were warm, friendly an very helpful. We had booked through Scottish Accomodation and they were not only kind enough to point out that we had been overcharged but also went out of the way to get us our refund. The location is excellent and the breakfast outstanding. We will def be back

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank ntalathi
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 May 2011

No 45 is a great B&B, the location is excellent with a short walk to the buses which run every few minutes. You would be silly to try and get around Edinburgh any other way. 3.20 GBP for all day travel. The room was very comfortable and well furnished. The only complaint would be the size of the bathroom, it was decidedly cosy. The wide stair case made accessing the room very easy. Irene was an excellent host and was very obliging. The breakfast at No. 45 was excellent. I would have no problems staying there again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rossco90
barrhead
Reviewed 9 September 2010

Purpose of our visit was to drop my son off at Uni and tried to get B & B near his campus but no-one would book us in for just the one night. Tried No 45 and it was no problem. We booked in at 12 which gave us the day in Edinburgh to enjoy the Duathlon in Holyrood Park which was the other reason for our visit. No 45 is on the main bus route into Edinburgh which meant it was easy to get to Holyrood and in and out of the city for dinner etc. Mrs Cheape was lovely, very chatty - breakfast was great, definitely enough to keep you going throughout the day. Room was immaculate and very comfortable.

We would definitely return and recommend.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank barrhead16
London
Reviewed 4 February 2010

My family and I enjoyed a fantastic break at this hotel Mrs Helene and Mr Bill were great and even tought the weather were pretty much cold they provided extra heating to keep my room warm enough to my kid.
Food were great I really enjoyed Full Scothish Breakfeast
Room very clean and organised, bathroom really small but not a problem at all.
I'm looking forward for my next break and definetely I recommend this extraordinary B&B.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank dcatar
Scotland
Reviewed 13 January 2010

This is a well-run bed and breakfast with friendly owners and personal service who will adapt breakfast to suit (both in terms of time and contents- they will even do vegan!). I have tried a couple of places in this area in the similar price bracket and this is my favourite. Note some of the other ones are on the main roads- so this is a nice quiet choice. I dont go into town, but at least during the day there are regular buses and taxi from the station is 7 pounds. The kitchen table is communal but this isnt unusual in b&bs in scotland. there are some restaurants about 10 minutes walk from the b&b.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Devon
Reviewed 14 December 2009

The room was comfortable, spacious, and clean. The breakfast was great - in fact, I miss it a lot :) A choice of cereals, fruit followed by a cooked breakfast and toast. I highly recommend poached egg, bacon, tomato and toast. I loved the communal table in the dining room and met a few interesting people during my stay who I am still in contact with. A very friendly atmosphere. The owners are very helpful with recommendations of where to go in the city and for other places to visit. A short walk to the main road gives access to bus services into the city - approx 10/15 min journey if I recall correctly.

• Stayed September 2009