See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

We attempted to stay at this God Forsaken place. We paid the £198 to Diane at the front desk and proceed to walk up the stairs which were filthy, poorly fitted and basically a trip hazard. Upon entering the room on the top floor, we were greeted by a wet stale smoke smell. The wall paper was peeling off because of the damp inside this room.
I went downstairs to get Diane, who said this was impossible, I invited her to see for herself, which she then agreed the room was in no state to rent out. She called the manager who refused to talk to me and give me a refund.
The next part, I was in the wrong, I raised my voice in the lobby and attempted to refund myself on their card machine. This would not work. In the end I walked out and found a nice Travelodge sometime later.
Many phone calls to and fro from Imran the manager concluded that he isn't a manager, he has no managerial responsibility and can't process the refund. After about the millionth phone call (slight exaggeration), I offered to meet him at the "hotel" but this perseived as a threat, so I offered to meet him somewhere else for a coffee, this was also a threat.... We both had raised voices and anger, I had a promise that I wouldn't get a refund as the ratings say the "hotel" is acceptable, the phone call ended with me calling him a See You Next Tuesday.
Admittedly, I was in the wrong on two occasions and accept the backlash from what I have done. But please be aware this "hotel" is a complete hellhole. I wouldn't put my worst enemy here for 30 minutes let alone a night or two.
Note to Imran or the owner, I will change this rating and review if you decide to do the right thing and offer me a refund. I'd even take a partial refund to pay for my brilliant Travelodge.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

This hotel seemed very dated at the reception but it just got worse the further up we went. Our room had very spongy floors that you really thought were about to fall to the rooms below when you walked on them (in places). The room was extremely dirty and dusty, there was a small black shaggy rug on the floor that looked like it had never seen a hoover it even had a large toe nail on it when we arrived. The beds did look like they were the saving grace as they did look clean and were comfortable, on arrival they even had a chocolate placed on them.The bathroom had cracked floor tiles no bathmat and was stinking dirty, pubes around the toilet and a grimy shower.in all the room was very tired and lacking anything modern or stylish , it was water stained all around and dusty and dirty everywhere.This guest house feels very unloved and in need of a vast makeover.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 June 2018 via mobile

The quality of this accomodation is poor: dirty, unfinished and poorly maintained throughout. I could see work had been done more recently, but it has not been kept up and therefore the overall finish is not satisfactory.

We were greeted by a friendly and welcoming member of staff who allowed us to park at the property early. It's worth noting there are only three spaces.

Our room, number 13, was in the basement of the accomodation. Frustratingly the window is sealed so we couldn't get any fresh air. It was fairly quiet despite being on a main road and internally we didn't hear anyone.

The first thing we noticed was the dust - everywhere. The cups and glasses, the bedside cabinets and the surfaces in the bathroom. It clearly hadn't been cleaned properly in a while and definitely not since the guests before as we were greeted with long hairs all over the bathroom.

The mattress and bed linen was a positive leading to us having a comfortable sleep. It was also a nice touch having a chocolate put on the bed.

The location of this accommodation is about a 30 minute walk from the centre. It's a nice walk with lots of cafes, restaurants and pubs along the way.

Overall the property is a little grubby and heading towards being labelled 'run down'.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank jonesl1012
Reviewed 4 May 2018

I spent 3 nights in City Guest House with my brother. The room was quite big, but a bit cold (had to turn the thermometre up; I wonder how it would feel like in wintertime). Also, our room was situated in the "basement", and through my window I would see dirty basement stairs, which made me feel a little bit anxious (because it would have been so easy for someone to just break the window and come in; so if you're a person who worries easily like me, ask for a room upstairs at least!). The beds were mediocre, the mattresses weren't exactly hard, but somehow so uneaven that I would constantly flip on the other edge of the mattress. But when you staid still on one edge, it was fine. The bathroom was ok, the only thing was that it was really cold cause there was no radiator, and the air conditioning system would go on every time you turned on the bathroom lights. Also, there was only one half used toilet roll left for us in the bathroom (for 3 nights), which clearly was not enough. Maybe you could have more if you asked, but we ended up buying some more ourselves.

The staff that we met on our check in was very friendly and helpful, though that was the only time we saw them. The location of the guest house was quite alright, it took some 30 minutes to get into the city centre on foot, but the neighborhood seemed calm and peaceful (and beautiful) and there were a lot of different shops and restaurants and cafes along the way to the centre. And also a bus stop right in front of the guest house.

All in all, it was a decent place and an ok stay, but I probably wouldn't go there again, but rather choose a "real" hotel a little bit closer to the city centre.

Stayed: May 2018
Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

I stayed at the City Guest House recently with my young family. The location is great, very easy to get out and about to explore the beautiful city of Edinburgh. The staff were very friendly, attentive and it felt like a cosy home away from home.

Would definitely recommend!