“great place to stay”

Ranked #338 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“great place to stay”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Where do i start with the guards hotel , great location 10 mins walk to princes street. Excellent value for money (better savings if booked directly with hotel) large room , lots of hot water, clean , lovely cooked breakfast.
Staff very friendly as well.My room was on the first floor and i can't complain..very spacious , clean and bed was very comfortable !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2013

For Edinburgh, The Guards Hotel offers good value for money and a warm, welcoming stay. It is very well located, just opposite Haymarket Station. You can walk to Princes St and Rose St in ten minutes. The Hotel boasts an adjoining Social Club which is a brilliant place to have a sociable drink. I have stayed here many times, sometimes solo, but never felt alone. I have occupied different rooms and all were clean & more than acceptable. If you are looking for luxury, spend more elsewhere. If you want an enjoyable stay, friendly staff and value for money, this place is right up your street. Cheers! Keith

Room Tip: I have stayed in 3 or 4 different rooms and all were decent, with everything you'd need.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Derbyshire, UK
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I'll keep it simple, but the pictures speak volumes.
The room I was booked into was "Birdcage Walk".

I was advised that there was no door to the en-suite, but a curtain had been mounted in its place.

I was not, I repeat, WAS NOT advised about the poor state of the floor.
The naff curtains that couldn't block out any light.
The hairs on my pillow that were certainly not mine (I'm a grade 3 and the wrong colour).
The disgusting and disgraceful state of the extraction fan in the so called en-suite.
The horrible dusty spare mattress under the bed.
The rather botched attempt at DIY to cover up whatever damage was behind the headboard.
And, by far and away the worst thing I've found in my room in the 8 years I've been staying away.
The rodent poison trap under the bed.

Room Tip: Unless it's been renovated, I'd steer well clear of the room on top floor call "Birdcag...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank goatiegadget

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Northern Ireland
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and was very pleasantly surprised by the warm welcome and great location. The man who opened the door to me turned out to be the cook. He couldnt have been nicer and not only provided a lovely breakfast each morning, was full of knowledge throughout my stay e.g. train times, etc. The room was warm and very clean, and well equipped for all my needs. The good weather was an added bonus to an already pleasant stay in the capital. A very enjoyable holiday.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Reading all the reviews I did not have a lot of high expectations from this hotel, but after my 3 nights stay in a twin room (alone) I can tell I was more than pleased and happy with my choice!

The room has all the facilities you need (en-suite bathroom with toilet, flat screen TV, coffee-tea, towels, shower gels, free wifi, etc.) Continental breakfast is included (the breakfast is only some cereals and toast, but you can ask for a full english aswell). The price is surprisingly reasonable, at least for a twin/single room. The receptionists were soo friendly and helpful, one of the nicest staff members I've ever met during my trips.

The location is wonderful, 15 minutes walk from the beautiful city centre of Edinburgh. Although the hotel is located at a very busy main street, the rooms are quiet. The train station and bus stops are only 20 metres away. If I will visit Edinburgh again, I would like to book a room there again, definitely!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 February 2013

On arrival, I would have asked for a different room had I not been feeling ill and exhausted that day. We had pre-booked a "superior" room for one night, it was Room 1 on the ground floor. Entrance to hotel very shabby but with friendly staff. Room was depressing - very small and it stank of smelly feet covered up with perfume- type stuff?! There was a large bathroom good for disabled access but not so good for us (very low sink). When I put the bedside light on, before bed, it lit up the floor which was covered in bits and hair!! Ugh, disgusting, it hadn't been vacuumed. Also there was something sticky on the bedside shelf - yuk. Bed was clean and comfortable and shower was good in the morning. Didn't want to stay for breakfast.
Really regret that I didn't ask for a better room but as I said I had fallen ill and couldn't be bothered! Was fine by following morning and couldn't wait to get out. Told staff of problems as I left, was told the manager would get back to me later. Very disappointed.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Sarahravendew
Dublin
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Where do i start with the guards hotel , great location 15-20 mins walk to princes street. Excellent value for money (better savings if booked directly with hotel) large room , lots of hot water, clean , lovely cooked breakfast.

Myself and my partner stayed here for valentines for 4 nights, we were a bit sceptical because of other reviews but we really had nothing to worry about . The staff couldn't be more than helpful making sure everything was perfect for us , the man who served us breakfast every morning was just wonderful and always asked if everything was okay , what we would like for breakfast and how we would like it served.

Bus links to the city centre and airport , taxi ranks , train station all right outside your door . Convince shops also just around the corner.

Okay there is no elevator up to the top floor but the staff do help with bags and for the money i cant see why people complain about this hotel , i cannot credit it enough. The walls are full of interesting and wonderful memorabilia from the scotts guards. We really didn't want to leave & will definitely be returning again . A little Gem in an amazing city.

Room Tip: Caught a small glimpse of the windsor castle room on the second floor looks amazing . We stayed in...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple