“Great welcome every visit”

Emerald Guest House
Ranked #136 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I drive around 15,000 miles per year in my job and stay in all sorts of hotels but have to say the friendly welcome I receive every time I stay at the Emerald Guest House is first-class. The rooms are individually and beautifully designed and the breakfasts first-class. And, best of all as a Scot who is now domiciled in England, very reasonably priced (even during the Edinburgh Festival).
Thank you Ann for being such a wonderful host.

Room Tip: I have stayed on 4 occasions in different rooms and they were all good.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Dorothy186356

Reviewed 3 August 2012

We were a family of 6 adults travelling through Scotland. Edinburgh was our last stop. We chose this B and B because it was close to the ring road and so easy to get in and out of the city. Indeed, the bus stop was directly across the street and it was a quick 20 minute ride into the city centre. But that same bus stop made the room quite noisy since the house is so close to the street. The room itself could have used a good cleaning, especially in the bathroom area. The wood floor in the room was sticky. Some ordinary expectations (Kleenex in the room, a toilet roll holder in the bathroom) were missing. It seemed like the B and B was being run on a shoestring (towels and bathmat were frayed and needed replacing). But the breakfast was very good and plentiful. Overall, this hotel was the most expensive of the trip but delivered the least.

Room Tip: Try to get one at the back of the house to minimize road noise.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Meredith S
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Overall cleanliness and comfort was lacking. Location not ideal in terms of both the quality of neighbourhood and distance to downtown. Since parking is available, I would recommend to take the city bus. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank J S
Reviewed 6 May 2012

having booked my single room for 4 nights at short notice, as my partner was in the nearby royal infirmary I felt I had to take what I could get , but after arriving at the emerald I could not have had warmer welcome. Ann the owner was very pleasant ,and my room was so cosy and clean, with the added bonus of an en suite bathroom.the next morning i could nt believe the choice of breakfast , I opted for the full breakfast the first morning and OMG it looked fantastic and cooked to perfection, also its perfectly situated for visiting the nearby royal infirmary ,all this at a very reasonable rate.Many thanks again Ann for your hospitality.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank carolc740
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We are newlyweds, that decided to honeymoon in Scotland. We opted to do a B&B tour. Every B&B was wonderful, until we arrived at our final B&B, this one. Since we were traveling from Isle of Skye to Edinburgh, We made many stops to take in the amazing countryside and History of Scotland. We Arrived to the Emerald Guest House at 8:00pm, to the rudely spoken response "didn't think you were coming, we gave your room away" take in mind that I booked and paid for this room 2 months in advance. She said that she did have a room open if we didn't mind a twin bed. Where else are we going to go at 8:00 at night in a place we know nothing of? So we spend our last night of our honeymoon in separate beds. We were not offered any type of refund, discount or even given an apology. I would never recommend this B&B to anyone!

• Stayed: September 2011
4  Thank M&TSlaughter
Reviewed 18 September 2011

agreat place to stay,we found this place quite by chance as we were looking for some where with secure parking for our harley motorcycle, this place had it. the room was lovely,the beds were very confortable, breakfast choises were execellent and the fry was to die for.Ann made us feel so welcome and we felt at home right away.I would recomend this B&B with out hesitation.

Room Tip: book early,allrooms are great.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We booked the double room through Scotish Accomodation's web site where the rooms look just fine. The lady (very unpleasant) gave us, I don't know how to describe, maybe once it was a storage room for food or clothes...It had a tiny little window, so it felt like there is no air, it was sooo smal we couldn't move also the bed was to smal for two people to sleep on. There was a shared bathroom an it costed 85 gbp per night!!! You could hear all the people in the house talking, walking, also using their wc during the night....
We've been to at least 8 B&B's all over Scotland and they were all very beautifull and the ovners very kind, but this one you should better avoid!!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank dianadianadianadiana
anniepatEddinburgh, Owner at Emerald Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2011

In response to the above review ,this booking had already been cancelled by the above clients and then turned up. not the rm ., they had booked but a small standard rm ,which i give them ,as they already cancelled i think i did ok for them ,and said they could move on ,if not happy ,At no time was i unpleasent ,we do not sell store rms ,Thank you