“Great style”

Ranked #63 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
Oxfordshire
“Great style”
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Wonderful staff and one of the best breakfasts ever. Interesting location and close to the recently revamped National Museum of Scotland. Room was small (no bedside table on my side) and hot despite air con but good sized bath and great shower. Stylish modern hotel and we did feel well looked after.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Polish first
Strathaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We stayed at the Hotel du Vin the night before our Anniversary, and I really couldn’t recommend it highly enough.

On arrival, I took a while to find the NCP car park where you get special rates, but once the car was there, it didn’t need shifted. The hotel is perfectly located in the old town, a short walk from most attractions. We ended up not leaving the hotel though!

We stayed in the Krug superiod room, and it was simply amazing. I’ve stayed in loads of hotels around the world, but the overall quality, space and ambience were beyond my expectations. The room featured a massive and very comfy bed, small balcony, separate room with roll top bath, TV and generous toiletries, plus an additional room with a huge walk in shower. Couldn’t fault the room at all.

We chose to have dinner in the Bistro, with a few rounds of cockatails with friends in the bar beforehand. The service was friendly if a little slow, and the drinks great.

Off to the restaurant where we had one of the best meals I’ve had in a long time. The restaurant was fairly quiet in terms of diners, but this didn’t make for a stale atmosphere. It’s a relaxed restaurant, and serve was exemplary. The waiter explained dishes for us, and the in house sommelier recommended wines at a budget we chose – she even recommended another wine because the one we had chosen just wasn’t quite cool enough.

Highlights of the meal were the Isle of Mull Souffle – just order it, sublime; and the Onglet Steak (a new cut to me), quite like a bavette. After desert (including a very simple and indulgent chocolate mousse), we finished off with a couple of Ports’, lightly chilled and very pleasant.

The hotel is quite a quirky place, with an unusual layout, and that really adds to the character. There are lots of areas to chill out, and enjoy a secluded night. If you’re after a hotel for a special night away, I really would recommend this. The highlight was the personal service that’s often lacking so much from larger hotels.

Good work team HDV!

Room Tip: superior rooms are amazing
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Our recent stay was made extra special by the wonderful staff. They made our anniversary a memorable one. Their attention to detail and professionalism was outstanding. We would strongly recommend this hotel as it's location was perfect. Our room was beautiful and the hotel was extremely clean. We simply cannot compliment the staff enough and we hope to back again!

Mr & Mrs Houston

london
Reviewed 23 July 2011

My husband and I stayed here on our wedding night and unfortunately it was a disappointment. We had been to take a look at the hotel a few times and there is no doubt it is a lovely and stylish place. In fact on the night of our wedding we had people back to the whisky snug which was a great little space.

However the overall stay was let down by the service for us. My husband had frequently discussed arrangements by phone and also in person with the staff, both for the wedding guests to come back to the whisky snug and also for the room bookings. It was very clear at all times that this was for our wedding night. However when I turned up to drop off my luggage prior to going to get my hair done on the day I was told they had no record of my husband and no room booked. They finally found the reservation, his name had been misspelt pretty seriously. They had also made one mistake in the block booking for other guests, having failed to cancel a room that we had told them was no longer needed. No apologies, no welcome for me as the bride (it was a pretty stressful moment). I accept there is no obligation to put any little touches in the room for us but it would have been nice to feel that we were being taken care of as newly weds - there was nothing of that sort. In fact we discovered that night that we had only been given one towel in the room and one dressing gown so clearly it hadn't sunk in that more than one person would be staying in the room!

We had wanted to arrange for some of our wedding guests to come over for coffee and brunch the next morning but this seemed to be a bit of a sticking point, they wanted to know exact numbers and we were told that each guest would need to pay £10 even if they just had a croissant and coffee. In the end we went to a cafe bar in the West End which was far less convenient but way more accommodating.

All in all we were pretty unimpressed. Luckily we were booked into Prestonfield House the next night which more than made up for the wedding night. I think all it would have taken for us to enjoy this experience would have been a bit more communication between staff, some more attention to detail, and some sense that they appreciated us choosing Hotel du Vin for our wedding night. Sadly this was not the case.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank annam04
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 July 2011

My 5 month old and I travelled with my husband on business and stayed here for 2 nights. The staff were professional, friendly and informative. We were checked in quickly and I was immediately assisted with all my baby paraphernalia. The room clean and comfy with every mod con you would expect. The shower head was AMAZING (its the small things that count) and the mattress was extremely comfortable and soft.

The hotel itself had so much character - the rooms have names rather than numbers (we stayed in Mac Forbes) and there were plenty of nooks and crannies to explore, no corridor neglected. Fantastic little courtyard out the back and lounges and libraries inside. Modern, but far from your average boring decor.

We ate at the bistro one night and - WOW! Food was absolutely incredible and the ambience was bustling yet peaceful. We travelled many cities in Europe for 5 weeks and ate at many restaurants, but this was easily our favourite meal. I had special dietary needs and was closely attended to by our waitress, who was knoweldgable about the ingredients of dishes on the menu and who was also able to offer me alternatives if a certain dish didnt meat my needs.

The location of the hotel and bistro was very central and within walking distance to main attractions. The only negative thing I can say about our stay here is the trouble you may have parking and/or dropping off and picking up luggage. The hotel is located on a busy road and although there is a small driveway (I'm not sure if it is meant to be used by patrons or not) it had a car parked in it the whole time we were there and was unuseable. I had read about this before we arrived and knew that the parking station was nearby - which it IS - but it is very hard to find, especially at night! The map they give you is really difficult to read and not to scale which is confusing. My hubby dropped me off with my son and the bags and it took him a long time to find the parking station and return. The following day, even armed with the map, I tried to walk to the car and had to ask local shops where the parking station was - even they didnt know! When we were leaving, hubby drove the car to the hotel to collect us and our bags and was forced to put the hazard lights on and park in the street as there was no other option. I feel this is dangerous - loading my son into the car on a busy road was nerve wracking and I was almost hit. Perhaps the hotel could ensure that staff (??) havent blocked the tiny driveway that is available. I also think that a 'google maps' map would be a clearer guide to the parking station.

Having said all that, it did not effect our stay. This hotel was exceptional! We had an amazing stay and I would not stay anywhere else in Edinburgh.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2011

During our roundtrip through the UK i' ve stayed in almost every time in a du vin or malmaison hotel. They are excellent! very clean, modern rooms and spacious! I can definitely recommend these hotels.

Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2011

My wife took me here for our anniversary and it surpassed all my expectations. We were given the Veuve Clicquot suite and it lived up to the champagne it was named after. The surroundings were tasteful and sumptuous throughout the hotel. The staff were friendly and couldn't have been more helpful. The building was seemingly an old assylum but there were no lunatics about when they turned them into this hotel. Superbly modernised..

Room Tip: If all the rooms are as good as the Veuve Clicquot room, you won't be disappointed.