“Cosy, elegant place for a special occasion...”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #52 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I booked a night at the Edinburgh HDV for my boyfriend's birthday and we were very pleased with everything. The rate included double room, dinner, breakfast and even a bottle of champagne - I think I got a good deal since it was low season. I made a point that it was a special occasion and they gave us an upgrade to a more spacious room and left a birthday card for my boyfriend. Nice touches made the hotel feel more luxe, such as high quality toiletries, proper bed linen, heated floors, thick curtains. All the food we had was lovely too, although the service was quite slow on occasion (we didn't mind too much as we were having a nice chilled time). I didn't want to check out!

Room Tip: We stayed in 'Saintsbury' - there was a fancy roll top bath in the room for added luxury. th...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel du Vin & Bistro

Reviewed 9 January 2012

Firstly, I want to apologise to the Hotel for this slightly tardy review - as I stayed several times throughout the 2011 Edinburgh Festival (in August) - and enjoyed the accommodation on each occasion.

I have stayed at various Edinburgh Hotels over the years, but by far, the Hotel du Vin wins hands down - when taking in to consideration quality of room, (and room size), location and the front desk staff. It was my first visit to this actual Hotel and it proved perfect in terms of getting to see Festival shows at the Pleasance, Gilded Ballon or Assembly venues... which were all very close. The Hotel is in the Old Town part of the city and right beside the newly revamped National Museum - and a very short walk to the Royal Mile.
The front desk staff and the manager, were all incredibly friendly and helpful and breakfast was ample (a good slection buffet or hot menu) and came with a huge steaming pot of coffee. When I needed to have an early morning meeting in the small 'snug' area, the staff went ahead and reserved seating for it and kept us supplied with teas and coffees. A great touch.

There a few points I would flag : Certainly when I was there, the Hotel didn't have a porter per se. The front desk staff carried cases to rooms if people needed assistance (I felt quite bad about this as my case was really heavy - so choose to take it myself). This might have since changed, but I would say they need it, especially during busy periods and especially as some of the rooms are along parts of the Hotel which have steps (even after you exit the lift), due to the historical nature of the building. I would ask for 'accessible' rooms if you need such, just to ensure your room is not allocated in an area with steps.
Bristow Place is very lively during the Festival period (as is Edinburgh altogether) so I would also recommend asking for a courtyard facing room (as long as you do not mind not having a street view) or one off Bristow Place, if you are a light sleeper at all.

I really enjoyed staying at the Hotel and the service was wonderful (and very cheerful). I've already booked ahead for next August/Festival!

Room Tip: per my review - I would ask for courtyard facing rooms if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We stayed at the hotel for two nights from January 1st 2011 and enjoyed our stay.
We opted for a Superior room upgrade and were allocated the Taittinger room ( monsoon shower and free standing bath within the room ).
Having stayed at this hotel previously we found the room on the small side for a superior room .
The staff were very helpful and although we didn't dine in the bistro in the evening enjoyed the breakfast service.
On checkout we were initially charged £26 for items we hadn't had from the minibar however this was quickly rectified by the very friendly reception staff .
If visiting Edinburgh again we would have no hesitation in staying at HDV again

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 27 December 2011

We have stayed in many Du Vin hotels and the entire occasion is always a pleasure especially their excellent restaurants.
Devilled Liver with Parsnip puree was truly delicious and Onglet steak frites – nom, nom, nom!
Always a vast wine selection at relatively modest prices.
They never fail to impress.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2011

Visited on 15th December, a Christmas Fayre evening. Welcoming friendly staff, mulled wine, christmas pies, interesting stalls to view, with the added sound of carol singers, performing from an uptairs balcony within the hotel. We had a christmas meal in the restaurant a most attractive room with a real coal fire, staff very attentive good choice of dishes, exellent meat from Donald Russell butchers. The highlight of our evening however must go to Sebastiano, the sommelier and the wine tasting. Sebastiano is a most entertaining and charming gentleman, with a natural passion for his job, please do not miss the opportunity to take part in this if you visit. Atmosphere is not bought, it is created by the people who work there.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2011

A Christmas dinner with friends ,the hotel had a xmas fair organised on possibly the worst night for weather of the year,they took it inside and nothing was lost by it mulled wine and christmas pies greeted you on entering,a lovely touch by the management was the R.S.N.O CHOIR singing every hour on a balcony above the restaurant.
The meal was excellent and the atmosphere good a thoroughly enjoyable evening was had away from the storm outside.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 December 2011

We stayed in a junior suite and it was magnificent. The staff were very helpful and could not do more. The general manager (Graham) and his deputy (Gillian) took the time to make our stay very pleasant. The wine list is very comprehensive and the sommelier (Sebastiano) is excellent.
My only qualm about staying here is the menu and the food. The menu is very basic and uninteresting additionally actual food is not that great, maybe we have been spoiled by the HDV menu in Glasgow - the food here lacks finesse and appeal. The wait staff working on the night were not that good the waiter forgot to bring the requested butter twice.Had a birthday lunch at the chefs table good to see the workings of the kitchen although there looked like quite a bit of tension from the head chef towards other staff don't really want to see that surely thats not the point of being seated in this location
Had stovies which had to be returned as tasted quite sweet bit like a tagine
Will definitely return to this hotel but will eat elsewhere

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends