“Recommend a stay here!”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #50 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 14 June 2012

My partner and I staying a night in the hotel to celebrate my partner securing a new job. We upgraded to a suite which was well worth it.

We also had dinner, which was delicious. The food was amazing and the service was great. Breakfast was also lovely, they are willing to accommodate all requests, I'm very particular about how I like my porridge..!!

The hotel is so close to the Royal Mile, it is also not too far away from the shops, I love a visit to Harvey Nichols and Louis Vuitton when I'm in Edinburgh!!

xx

Room Tip: It is worth upgrading to a suite, especially if you are celebrating a special occasion.x
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 June 2012

I stayed here for a night with my boyfriend, I thought the hotel was fantastic! Staff were friendly and attentive, always making sure we had everything we needed. Our room was spacious and clean with really comfy beds and powerful shower! breakfast was good, lots of choice. Central location and easy to get to from the train station, would definately recommend for a stay in Edinburgh!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Been back here every year since the hotel opened and it continues to impress. My advise is opt for a superior room or above as the standards are pretty small, however well maintained and very clean.
Dinner in the restaurant both nights was excellent and the staff very friendly and informative. Wilbert in the bar makes great cocktails and Jason in the restaurant was very passionate about what he does a d both made our stay more enjoyable.
Great location. Look forward to my next visit.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Hotel du Vin Edinburgh is our favourite hotel in the city by a royal mile. The room (love the suites!) and service always exceed our expectations. We highly recommend dining in the restaurant to add to your experience - the food and wine list are exemplary... and spoil you for choice.

Everytime we are in Edinburgh, HdV is always on our list of places to stay and visit. The staff are lovely and always know how to make your visit a great experience. So much so we have recommended the venue to friends for their wedding!

Our only issue is the parking (not such a great location for this element) - there are limit spaces available! I would like to see this improved, however, given the hotel's prime location, it's a trade-off we are happy to make.

We cannot wait to return again in a few weeks time.

Room Tip: Love the suites!! Definitely worth upgrading to if they are available.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We were excited about this hotel due to its history and close proximity to the Royal Mile. We drove down from the Highlands and had printed directions in hand from the hotel's website. Don't bother. There was construction through the center of the city (which is not new) but was not updated on the hotel's website. Also, upon arrival there was nowhere to actually pull in and unload. We had to pay out of pocket to park in a parking garage a few blocks away. You'd think a hotel such as this would have a valet or at least designated parking spaces for guests. Instead, we're paying 17 pounds per day in addition to the room. The front desk was not very polite. They were very cool as if they owned the hotel, not worked as service people IN the hotel. Furthermore, we asked for directions to the airport and you'd think they could supply those. They looked at us as if we were asking for spare change. I asked if the generic directions she was printing from map quest accounted for any construction unlike their website directions. The front desk attendant could not even tell me. She looked very confused and was not at all helpful. Not every member of the front desk staff was like this, but the majority were. I will say the food and drinks were excellent. The restaurant staff was great. The food was as quick as it could be and the service was not lacking. We did order breakfast room service one morning last minute and they were able to accommodate, and quickly, which was great. The room was nice, shower was great. The layout of the hotel isn't the best and the history was a bit watered down when we finally got here and started researching. I would not repeat my stay here. Absolutely disappointing. I would have given it a poor rating had it not been for the restaurant and bar staff. Please do not waste your money here. Just come for a drink.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Katelyn L
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Have stayed here twice now.
Excellent service, except maybe at breakfast things seem a little disorganised.
Comfortable rooms with very comfortable beds.
Great showers and bathroom amenities.
Cosy corners to relax and have tea or a drink.
Very central.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Suzanne249
Reviewed 7 June 2012 via mobile

I really don't see the justification in the £130 a night charges for a tiny standard room without dinner or breakfast.

The Rooms are very small and overlook a courtyard which can be very noisy until midnight with people sitting outside smoking and drinking in what they call a "cigar shelter". The noise can be overwhelming from your room.

The bathrooms are incredibly small, the TV doesn't have the opportunity to order box office films and is tiny. It does have a DVD player but we couldn't find anywhere nearby that sold DVDs. The tv's would have been better off having an iPhone dock.

The rooms are very dark indeed and it's very hard to get ready and see in the mirror. One thing to remember (to our shock and horror) is You have to pull down your blinds at all times in the room as everyone can see in your room around the courtyard from other rooms.

The hotel offers no spa or leisure facilities so your very limited in that sense.

Tye bar is tiny and has Very fee seats, and no tv. Thefrinks are limited and expensive. The bistro is ok but expensive with a tiny menu and service is incredibly slow. We waited an hour for our starter on night 1.

On our last day we sat in the small cigar room where they serve afternoon tea, in the hope of killing time until our train arrived. We sat for 10 minutes waiting for a drink ir waiter when another couple arrived and sat down. After another 10 minutes a waiter came and served the other couple who ordered afternoon tea. The waiter continued to bring them food and drink and completely ignored us as we sat there for over an hour. I've never felt so annoyed or embarrassed. To top it off, Halfway through sitting in this small quiet cigar room a woman started conducting interviews with potential staff which was incredibly loud and embarrassing for my wife and I, and the other couple (who had been served afternoon tea). We stayed for another 20 minutes (an hour in total without being served) in the hope the waiter would notice us but he didn't and we left. It seems once you have checked out, that's it, they don't want to know you.

Overall I find the staff could be much much more helpful. We stayed 3 nights and were never acknowledged by reception staff when we walked out or in on an evening. Even on check out we were simply handed a bill for over £450 without a word from the receptionist. Not even a "did you enjoy your stay".

Overall, a very expensive hotel, a long walk from Princess street, with little to no facilities and untrained, unfriendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2012