“Wine prices terrible!”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #50 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I visited Hiotel du Vin Edinburgh with clients on Wednesday late afternoon before going to a show. I thought, great place for a glass of wine and some nibbles beforehand - oh no, how wrong was I?! Cheapest bottle of rose or red was £28! The price had gone up overnight by 40%!
The sharing platters were also very poor value for money and boring! Cheese and charcuterie, not good and the bread was stale. I wanted to impress my clients and did not manage that. Service was poor too, no smiles about these waiters! I won't be back and neither will my clients!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank EdinburghMaggie67
There are newer reviews for Hotel du Vin & Bistro

Reviewed 24 August 2012

This hotel is very close to Edinburgh Castle and in the middle of the Centre of Edinburgh! The rooms are great: Very nice beds, good bathrooms with bad and floorheating, and the service of the employees are very good! Good restaurant with food for everyone. All to all, best hotel in our Scotland trip.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ThijsPeters
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I have never stayed in a Hotel Du Vin before and was looking forward to the 2 night stay with my wife at their Edinburgh hotel as I had heard good reviews about it. I was confident that I was going to be impressed as the weekend stay cost me the princely sum of GB£280 (US$445) per night - which DID NOT include breakfast at GB£14.50 per person per day !!!!!! I was told by the check-in staff that the hotel was full which I assume is why the price was extortionate. Equally (refer to my comments below), there was no chance of changing rooms.

Let me list the good things :

- The bed was comfortable
- The breakfast was tasty which it should be at £14.50
- Good location within the city

Now for the bad things :

- The room was at the front of the hotel on the top floor, Because the room was in the loft space, it had a sloping wall that consumed a good chunk of the room. Being almost 1.9m tall, I smacked my head a few times so a tip - if any tall people decided to stay here, specify that you want a room on first or second floor.
- Some hotels seem to think that having a bath/shower in the bedroom is trendy and cool - as in the case of this hotel. I beg to disagree. In this case, it was clearly because of the space constraints re the sloping wall, was a "cheap-fix" and believe me, was in no way stylish or trendy.
- The room was at the front of the hotel facing the street (called Bristo Place). There is a night-club opposite that goes on until 4:00 a.m. The "double-glazed" windows in the room did not serve in any way to mute the noise and resulted in 2 nights of maximum 2-3 hours sleep. As I mentioned earlier, the hotel was full and there were no alternative rooms. So anothe tip - if you plan to stay here, specify a room that is away from the front of the hotel.
- It is clear that the hotel is a popular venue for non-residence to socialise. This is all very well and good but what this means is that we found it very difficult nee almost impossible to get a seat in the bars which frankly annoyed the hell out of me.

I could actually go on but will stop there to say that I was expecting an exclusive experience, based on the price tag and reports. I was expecting to treat my wife to a special weekend stay in one of our favourite cities. Instead, I can categorically say that I have been summarily ripped off by the Hotel Du Vin and will NEVER stay in any of their hotels in the future. I recommend anyone reading this to look elsewhere. There are plenty of hotels in Edinburgh that offer great value and are equally as well located.

I am dsgusted

Room Tip: First or second floor only and NOT at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Mostynboy
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Situated in the Old Town, south of the Royal Mile it is in an excellent place for seeing all the sights and for business travellers only 10 mins walk from Waverley Station and the Airport Bus. It is in the middle of Edinburgh University and the two great museums are literally round the corner as is the Festival Theatre and Surgeons' Hall. The big downside is that if you come by car it is even quite difficult to set down and unload, being in a very busy street and with no off-street space. On th other hand secure parking is just round the corner and at preferential rates to the hotel. As you enter from a busy noisy street you pass under an arch into a quiet courtyard haven where you can sit and dring or have lunch. The staff are friendly and efficient. Our room was very quiet, a little small and the bathroom pokey and dull, not at all value for money. But it was clean, the bed comfortable, and there were teamaking facilities, a coffee maker and free wifi. The upstairs bar area is not very nice, and the very pleasant looking downstairs bar was closed for a private drinks function. Drinks were very expensive. The restaurant is reminiscent of the Malmaison, studiedly slightly scruffy. Again the staff were quite excellent. The food isn't cheap, the menu is very interesting and our starters and mains were very good indeed. The meal was spoiled by quite the worst crepe suzette I ever had. The wine was expensive. The main attraction has to be the quite outstanding breakfast. On the whole it is a good hotel, small and friendly but rather expensive for what you get even on Dinner, B&B package. The drinks bill was OTT.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank smithwolviston
Reviewed 17 August 2012

After a rather unpleasant night at another Edinburgh hotel, I decided to upgrade to a more modern facility. I got it right this time! The Hotel Du Vin and Bistro is a very well-thought out hotel. The first good thing about this hotel is the staff. I had the extreme pleasure of dealing with a very competent and courteous duty manager, Ashley, who took the time to explain several features of the hotel and to get local information on local desinatons and travel. My interactions with the rest of the staff went very well, but Ashley stood out.

Very nice, modern facility, contemporary design, which I came to find out was a rennovated strutue that was formerly a prison--I was told by a server in the restaurant that some of the walls were over 500 years old! Apparently, the owners of this hotel were not as restricted in their modernization efforts as mentioned in a previous review of another hotel in the area. Room was very spacious and had a big, comfortable bed. Bath was adequate and modern-- a bit on the small size for my tastes, however. Interesting thing about the bath-- it had a "monsoon" shower that could be controlled on and off by a separate faucet without effecting the mixture temperature of the water.
All facilities were extremely clean throughout.

Dining facilities included a pleasant outdoor patio area with drink and food service, a full bar and a very good restaurant. As an appetizer, I had a very good steak tartar, followed by a fish and salad course and a good rose wine. Service in the restaurant was. Very good, considering that I arrived right at their advertised closing time-- kudos to them for accomodating a hungry traveler even though they were obviously trying to close.

One negative comment: the staff was overly insistent on charging a 10 pound per hour late checkout fee-- come on guys, I know this is Scotland, but it's also a modern globalized society, get real-- especially for people on holiday that may want a few extra hours sleep after indulging in your wine cellar!

A 4+ rating for service, facilities, cleanliness and thinking!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if you desire it- staff here, duty manager Ashley, went the extra mile to accom...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank mzed12007
Reviewed 14 August 2012

This hotel appears to be newly refurbished. It was once an insane asylym, which is good conversation in the upstairs bar. Because it consists of two adjoining buildings, the floors dont exactly match. During our two day stay we could never go directly to our room. But in getting lost we made friends. Because it is in a downtown area, parking is several blocks away in a public-pay garage. Complimentary breakfast was part buffet, and then you order your main entree, our family with teens were very happy with it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank spunkydad
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Perfectly located in the heart of Edinburgh - this hotel offers a lot of charm, chic and character for it money. We got a luxury 'suite' room (during the busy Fringe Festival period) and managed to see so much more of the city as a result. Spotless rooms, sombre decor and great staff. The courtyard dining area is a great location throughout the day. We stayed with our 12 year old daughter and 5 month puppy (another bonus!). Food was excellent. Rooms were not noisy, even tho close to a very busy, bustling area of Edinburgh.

The Hotel doesn't offer it's own parking, but that can easily be sorted out by finding nearby on street parking (would recommend Georges Square - a 4 min walk). Looking forward to our next return visit. Didn't want to review this gem - would rather keep it a secret!!:-)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family