Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$193
US$180
  • Bar/Lounge
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$251
The Scotsman Hotel(Edinburgh)
US$231
US$176
  • Room Service
Cairn Hotel Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$143
US$108
  • Bar/Lounge
Holiday Inn Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$98
US$95
1,158 results
All reviewsmonsoon showerroll top bathwhisky snugcigar bothyhdv edinburghoverlooking the courtyardroyal milesuperior roomfree standing bathlovely hotelnational museum of scotlandeggs benedictnespresso machinemini barlovely roomedinburgh hotelboutique hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Like the previous reviewer, we had a room on the third floor with a rather unnecessary bath in the middle of the room. The route to the room involved a lift to the second floor, a hike around the periphery of the building, and then up another flight of stairs.
The room itself had a very comfortable bed, a huge walk-in shower, a mirror/basin area and a separate toilet. There was a very narrow sort-of sofa thing at the bottom of the bed and a single upright chair - in my view, the room would have been much better without the bath and with a nice large sofa.
Also, either my eyes are getting exceptionally dim, or there seemed to be some very "economical" lighting.
However, unlike the previous reviewer, I was impressed with the sound-proofing from the Night Club opposite, and could hardly hear it above the continually-necessary air-conditioning. However, my sleep was disturbed by a very creaky floor-board right outside our door.
Having said all that, the Hotel did get several thing very right e.g. free proper milk in the mini-bar (I hate UHT in my tea), and friendly and helpful receptionists.
Its position is outstanding for the Fringe, with even the EICC being only about 20 minutes walk away, the Udderbelly and Pleasance Dome about 2 minutes and the Pleasance Courtyard about 5 minutes.
Having visited the Fringe for the last 5 years, I can also reassure the previous reviewer that £280/night is not bad, and only about £50 more than the Travelodge during August! I know where I would rather stay.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

We stayed at the hotel du vin early August when we were in town for the festival. Very central to all the action but also far enough away to be quiet. Quite something for a city centre location. We had an upgraded room which was stunning, well equipped, great bath tub and bathroom. Super, super clean and smart, very current and on trend. We booked the French bistro for dinner, excellent service, great,tasty food.

1  Thank Aj2509
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I visited Hiotel du Vin Edinburgh with clients on Wednesday late afternoon before going to a show. I thought, great place for a glass of wine and some nibbles beforehand - oh no, how wrong was I?! Cheapest bottle of rose or red was £28! The price had gone up overnight by 40%!
The sharing platters were also very poor value for money and boring! Cheese and charcuterie, not good and the bread was stale. I wanted to impress my clients and did not manage that. Service was poor too, no smiles about these waiters! I won't be back and neither will my clients!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank EdinburghMaggie67
Reviewed 24 August 2012

This hotel is very close to Edinburgh Castle and in the middle of the Centre of Edinburgh! The rooms are great: Very nice beds, good bathrooms with bad and floorheating, and the service of the employees are very good! Good restaurant with food for everyone. All to all, best hotel in our Scotland trip.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ThijsPeters
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I have never stayed in a Hotel Du Vin before and was looking forward to the 2 night stay with my wife at their Edinburgh hotel as I had heard good reviews about it. I was confident that I was going to be impressed as the weekend stay cost me the princely sum of GB£280 (US$445) per night - which DID NOT include breakfast at GB£14.50 per person per day !!!!!! I was told by the check-in staff that the hotel was full which I assume is why the price was extortionate. Equally (refer to my comments below), there was no chance of changing rooms.

Let me list the good things :

- The bed was comfortable
- The breakfast was tasty which it should be at £14.50
- Good location within the city

Now for the bad things :

- The room was at the front of the hotel on the top floor, Because the room was in the loft space, it had a sloping wall that consumed a good chunk of the room. Being almost 1.9m tall, I smacked my head a few times so a tip - if any tall people decided to stay here, specify that you want a room on first or second floor.
- Some hotels seem to think that having a bath/shower in the bedroom is trendy and cool - as in the case of this hotel. I beg to disagree. In this case, it was clearly because of the space constraints re the sloping wall, was a "cheap-fix" and believe me, was in no way stylish or trendy.
- The room was at the front of the hotel facing the street (called Bristo Place). There is a night-club opposite that goes on until 4:00 a.m. The "double-glazed" windows in the room did not serve in any way to mute the noise and resulted in 2 nights of maximum 2-3 hours sleep. As I mentioned earlier, the hotel was full and there were no alternative rooms. So anothe tip - if you plan to stay here, specify a room that is away from the front of the hotel.
- It is clear that the hotel is a popular venue for non-residence to socialise. This is all very well and good but what this means is that we found it very difficult nee almost impossible to get a seat in the bars which frankly annoyed the hell out of me.

I could actually go on but will stop there to say that I was expecting an exclusive experience, based on the price tag and reports. I was expecting to treat my wife to a special weekend stay in one of our favourite cities. Instead, I can categorically say that I have been summarily ripped off by the Hotel Du Vin and will NEVER stay in any of their hotels in the future. I recommend anyone reading this to look elsewhere. There are plenty of hotels in Edinburgh that offer great value and are equally as well located.

I am dsgusted

Room Tip: First or second floor only and NOT at the front of the hotel
8  Thank Mostynboy