“Lovely stay overall”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #55 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We stayed in Hotel du Vin and Bistro for a week-end trip to Edniburgh. Location was great. We were in one of the suites, Catena Zapata, which for a suite was not that huge so it just made me wonder how big/small the normal rooms are. The room was very comfortable and stylish, bed was super comfortable, service was good (nice to have real proper milk for tea making facilities), the bath and shower were amazing. The only thing we did not like that much was the open plan of the room i.e. no door between room and bathroom area but I guess it is a desgin thing. Cooked breakfast options were very tasty and well presented (I just loved the eggs Benedict!) except for the burned bacon of my husband's full cooked breakfast one morning :) They brought along additional bits when pointed out. Also - if you are a bit of coffee snob as we are, then best to order caffe latte or espresso as the normal coffee was very weak and thin. However, these are just small issues, the overall impression was very pleasant and the experience enjoyable. We did not have dinner at the hotel this time, but the menu looked very appealing. We had some wine one evening, selection was very good. Overal - to be recommended for sure!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 October 2012 via mobile

Came here with my girlfriend for a nice trip to Edinburgh. Second we saw the place knew we lucked out.

Beautiful building with two very nice bars mainly serving wine but a good selection of other drinks, the rooms are named after wine which was a nice touch and our room was amazing the bath and shower are great and the bed is so soft and big. No complaints about anything in room bar the mini bar which was pricy, we just brought out own.

Staff friendly and helpful only downside is car park a wee walk away. Top class place lovely breakfast and all in all cracking stay.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 3 October 2012

This is without doubt a beautiful, original hotel. My wife and I just stayed here for 4 nights and we enjoyed the quality of the room, the linens, the shower, etc,...
The bistro adjacent to the hotel is very warmly decorated with an open fire place. The first night we had dinner here was a Saturday and the place was packed. Service was pretty erratic and the food unworthy of a restaurant in this price range. When I got the bill, I was overcharged for 80 pounds which upset me so much I asked to see the manager. Jason came, apologized and offered to make it up with a free dinner one of the next evenings. We took him up on the offer and had dinner again on Monday night. The food was not superb but much better than previously. What charmed us the most, however, was the professionalism of Jason and the way he had handled a disgruntled patron. He is a wonderful host and Hotel Du Vin better make sure they don't lose him to the competition. In summary, splendid hotel, average (and very expensive) restaurant.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank philippedeschryver22
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I stayed with my partner at the hotel du vin last week and we couldn't have chosen better! Parking is signposted on the website and though it appears to be a fair walk, in reality it is not far. The reception give you 20% off and this makes it a pretty reasonable cost for city centre parking. On arrival the manager on reception showed us to our room and carried our luggage for us. This set the scene for our dealings with the staff, as they genuinely could not do enough for you. Everything was done with class and with an air of sophisication rather than the overly friendly and fake customer service that is adopted in some hotels and shops which i frankly end up becoming irritated by! In particular i must say we were impressed with Wilbert, the bar manager, who provided us with cocktails and cigars and would go out of his way to ensure we were taken care of. I am now addicted to espresso martini's (and his were the best!)

Rooms: We stayed in a standard room as due to a wedding the superior ones were fully booked one day of our stay. I as initially worried it would be too small after reading reviews on here, but i need not have worried. I am not sure were people have stayed previously but our room (Laroche) was very spacious and we were there for 4 days. The showers are amazing, and the espresso machines in the room caused me much excitement! Some people have commented that it was noisy - we were overlooking the central courtyard and heard very little. The smokers hut in the courtyard is vacated by half 10 and no drinks are allowed outside after 10, so it is not like people congregate out there late. The only thing that did keep me awake was the air con (very loud!) but easily solved by turning it off over-night and then on again in the morning when using the shower! Would definately recommend doing this if you are a light sleeper.

Food: We ate breakfast in the hotel on two occasions, and had a meal in the bistro on one night. I found the breakfasts adequate rather than amazing, however the meal on the evening was really very good. I ate from the prixe fixe menu, whereas my boyfriend went for a la carte options. I was wondering if i would notice a difference between the two meals (e.g. mine being prixe fixe whether the portions would be smaller or of a less quality) but both were superb. I had eggs benedict to start and a steak onglet. Everything was cooked to perfection, and portions were so good i did not have room for a sweet. The eggs benedict at the meal made me want to try the breakfasts, so the next two mornings i dragged my boyfriend down to try and get another amazing dish. To my disappointment the same care did not apear to be taken over the breakfast, and the eggs benedict just did not compare to the starter. It was not bad per se (still very good as breakfasts go!), just small details made it not perfect such as the muffin being slightly overdone or the egg slightly overdone. Just a shame the detail applied in the evenings was not matched on a morning, however it really is a very slight complaint overall and not something that would stop me returning!

Overall: Could not recommend the hotel enough, we will definately be returning as compared to some of the prices we have paid in Edinburgh previously for Novotel's or some other more budget chain we got so much more here by paying a little more. Even the standard rooms are worth it, so please don't hesitate!

Room Tip: Standard rooms are FINE - the courtyard rooms definately seem quieter so request one of these when y...
Reviewed 27 September 2012

If i could have moved this hotel to a quieter part of town i would have given it a much better rating however this was what the lasting memory will be.
After a stay in perth my wife and i came to edinburgh to enjoy another night together. On arrival we discovered that parking was non existent both outside or near to the hotel. I abandoned the car a few streets away to check in and was informed of an NCP car park just a minute or two away from the hotel. The staff were friendly on arrival and the hotel itself was very nice and modern. Our room was nice, bathroom lovely and i can honestly say that this might just have been the best shower i will ever have in my life!! I will definitely be looking to purchase a shower like this for my own home.
After enjoying a night out we returned around midnight and this is where it started to falter. All we heard all night were police, fire and ambulance sirens.....my wife woke up at one point and told me to turn the tv off but i had to inform her that the noise was coming from outside! This gave us a laugh however we were both pretty grumpy come the morning after a lack of sleep.
Breakfast was gorgeous and service good.

Nice hotel in a good location off the grassmarket but probably wont return.

Reviewed 27 September 2012

Went here last Sunday afternoon to celebrate two friends birthdays and had afternoon tea with fizz. Loads of cake, scones, sandwiches,rolls, gream and jam to go with the tea coffee and champagne in a beautiful little longe served by a lovely handsone chap! We got a discount because we waited longer than ezpected for service but dont let that put you off! Lovely!!

Room Tip: Sunady afternoon was nice and quiet after a mornings shopping.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 September 2012

In Edinburgh for the weekend (a friend's birthday party) and it was difficult to choose a hotel. We have stayed at several other hotels du vin and probably knew what to expect. Location is very good, but Edinburgh is a relatively small city. Most tourist attractions are within walking distance of the hotel, and the castle is only a 10 minute walk maximum.

As usual, the restaurant/bistro is really the focus of the hotel, and means there is little in the way of lobby/public areas because the bistro takes up most of the ground floor space. The food is good, service also good.

Our room was disappointing. Great in the sense that it was very quiet (as for the top floor because I imagine the lower floors are not quite as noise-free) and the bed was very comfortable, but as usual the Du Vin's weird design features ruin the experience. The bathroom is vast (as big as the bedroom and the worst thing is that it is open plan. Completely. So the bath is in the middle of the floor, and the toilet is completely open too. Doesn't matter how long I have known my other half, I still think it is crazy to have an open plan toilet.

Being 40 something, I think I am slightly too old for this hotel chain and its wacky open plan toilets. It's a shame because the service is good and the overall concept is appealing.

Would not choose a du Vin again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't have an open plan toilet.
1  Thank Chesham