“Great atmosphere”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #63 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I really liked the atmosphere of the hotel. Very cosy public areas. I had the Springfield room, and that room isn't facing the street, so you won't be awakened by drunk people at 3 AM in the morning.

Had a dinner in the restaurant, and it was very good. The breakfast buffe is ok, but it would be nice to see some coarse bread and cold cuts/cheese.

The wifi worked without any interruptions.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't close to the street.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Mr The Traveller,

It was a pleasure to read your review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am very happy to read you enjoyed your time with us and also for your suggested breakfast idea's. I will be sure to pass these onto our Group Executive Chef for consideration for a future breakfast buffet.

Many thanks again and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Best,
Michael Musgrave

Write a ReviewReviews (1,098)

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I booked this hotel through a Visit Scotland experience package for my husband birthday , we don't live that far from Edinburgh but its nice to stay over sometimes . Oh how i wish i had got the last train home !. The hotel public areas are very nice and have a good atmosphere , the lady at check in was very nice and showed us to our room which was called 'Yerling Station' the room was a 'double' but clearly more suited to being a single , i had no table at the side of the bed because you would not have been able to open the wardrobe door if there had been one , there was about a12 inch space between the end of the bed and the tv . the bathroom was no better when opening the door it only just clears the edge of the sink. I had booked a dinner , bed and breakfast package so went for dinner , i ordered seared scallops at £11.95 , i got the smallest portion of scallops i have ever seen and they were clearly 2 scallops cut in half to make 4 and if not then this hotel really needs to change its fish supplier , my hubbies soup looked really nice though . We both had steak and mine was ok but my husband ordered his fillet medium but this steak still had a heartbeat when he cut into it , suffice to say he sent it back TWICE ! On the 3rd attempt he received a brand new steak but i had already finished my meal by this time .When we went back to our small room we had put the blinds down before we left but when the lights were out the street lights lit up the room like a christmas tree ! this was the least of our worries because our room was on the first floor directly above a kebab shop so until around 4 in the morning it was constant traffic and drunken people singing, shouting , eating their kebabs etc . Unfortunately my nice weekend away had turned into a bit of a nightmare and i would have probably gotten a better nights sleep on a bench at Waverly station. Breakfast was ok but to be honest i just wanted to go home , i felt sick with tiredness . We were booked in for a wine tasting lunch that day but chose to go home instead as we were just so tired and grumpy . i have rebooked my wine tasting lunch so really hoping that The Hotel Du Vin can redeem itself for me and prove that its worthy of all the good reviews it receives , because my experience was neither relaxing or good

Room Tip: run for the hills if your room is called Yerling Station , to be honest anything on the first floor...
3  Thank merc2557

Dear merc2557,

Thank you for your review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro Edinburgh. I am very sorry to read your review and that you did not have an enjoyable time with us.

As the hotel is a listed building and a former asylum, our room sizes do vary and some rooms larger than others. It is a shame to read you were woken up by outside noise and i do apologise.

With regards to the Bistro, the evening in question was a very busy service and all other diners had exquisit meals. My head chef was on duty and served many steaks of the same cooking request and all were perfect, again I am sorry to read your husband's was sent back twice.

I am confident that your return wine lunch experience will be a winner and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

With best regards,

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Last week my 5 day stay was enjoyed from the first to last minute. Pleasant and courteous staff from check-in, invisible housekeeping (efficient and detailed without any hint of nudging a guest from their room), service staff met questions with a smile and useful answer. Not a thing lack nor slack, in amenities. Room quiet and furnished with beautiful textures, colors, fixtures and attractively stained wood (I love to see the grain).

The courtyard area offered a wonderful outdoor option without the direct bustle or fumes of sitting directly streetside and the surrounding structure eased sounds of traffic. The cigar boothy was quite attractive and much appreciated.

Delicious food, with helpful staff keeping an eye out for the needed refill or dish to remove, while never being intrusive of one enjoying what is before them.

I cannot wait to return.

Tim - stayed in Catena Zapata

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Tim B

Dear Tim,

Thank you for your wonderful review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro, following your stay with us back in October. I am delighted to read you had a brilliant stay with us from start to finish and that my team were top quality.

We do strive to provide the best in Scottish Hospitality and would love the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

With best regards,

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Nice hotel , imaginative public spaces and cosy bar area for a quiet drink. Don't let them give you a room facing onto Bristol Place, there is no sound proofing from drunks at 3am. Rooms are small so upgrade if you can.

1  Thank JulesNo1

Dear Jules,

Thank you for your review of HDV Edinburgh. It is much appreciated and we do value your feedback. I have to agree the public spaces and bar is very cosy and all our guests do enjoy the facilities we have on offer.

Once again thank you and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Me and my wife visited the bistro for lunch last week .And we were in luck as unbeknown to use they have an oyster festival going a doz cornish oysters for 5 pounds !!!!! so after a couple of drinks in the bar we had lunch in the bistro with 18 oysters each as a middle course brill it was also nice to see the ex manger from No 5 working there

Dear DeanC,

Thank you for the great Oyster Festival review. It was a delight to read you had an enjoyable lunch and made the most of our fabulous offer this year.

I certainly hope we get to see you back in HDV Edinburgh again in the very near future.

Best regards

Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed for two nights (Friday - Sunday) and loved this hotel. It's in a great location being 5 minutes from The Royal Mile. The check in was great, the lady was very friendly and informative. The bed room was spacious with beautiful tall ceilings and a massive window. The bed was extremely comfortable, Breakfast was good, not worth £16.95 but we had it included in our package so it wasn't an issue. The bar was very cosy and welcoming but a little too quite for my liking (some people would see that as a good thing)! I would definitely come back here when returning to Edinburgh!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Charlottechh

Dear Sharlottie,

Thank you for your lovely review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am very pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you will return again in the future.

Our bedrooms are all a little different, some with exposed brick work, some with original beams in the ceilings etc. I guess that is what makes HDV unique for our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

As in other places, Hotel du Vin have done an imaginative restoration of an old city-centre building, making a smart hotel. Staff were welcoming, but we were a little disappointed with our room. It had a tortuous approach via a lift, then down some stairs, then finally up a long flight to the room. The room itself was small with no comfortable easy chair and not very good lighting. The bathroom was large with a very good shower, but the free standing bath was very difficult to get out of.

Our evening meal in the restaurant, chosen from an imaginative menu, was excellent, although I thought the wine at about £9 per glass, over-priced.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew H

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am happy to read you liked the transformation of the old building and unfortunately due to the layout, some of the rooms do have a little bit of walking to get too. Although those rooms do have a lot of character and original period wooden beams exposed.

I am delighted to read you had an enjoyable meal experience and I do hope we have the pleasure to welcome you back again very soon.