“Simply the best hotel in Edinburgh”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #69 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Bracknelll
“Simply the best hotel in Edinburgh”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I travel to Edinburgh for work every week and having tried numerous hotels and guest houses I'm in no doubt that HDV out performs all the rest. It's small enough to stay friendly and personal whilst being special enough to keep clear blue sky to between it and it's competition. Not forgetting the awesome location! If you're coming to Edinburgh and you want something great, stay at Hotel du Vin.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Marktsky
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Marktsky,

Thank you for your great review of HDV Edinburgh, it is much appreciated. I am delighted you enjoy coming here and find the team/hotel very friendly and cut above the rest. We do enjoy having you as a guest and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes,

Michael Musgrave

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Polish first
Surrey
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

Having travelled to Edinburgh midweek for a short break with my girlfriend we were looking to stay somewhere special! And what a special place the Hotel du Vin proved to be!

From the moment we walked into the courtyard it is clear that we were not going to be disappointed! At the front desk things got better! We were told that we had been upgraded from the "Superior Double" that we had initially booked to a "Studio Suite". Brilliant! After the very polite and professional lady on the front desk had offered us newspapers and told us about breakfast she went on to show us to our Suite.

Our room for the three nights was called "Gaudium" and as soon as the door opened both my girlfriend and I were blown away! I had read a lot of reviews on tripadvisor about the rooms being small and dark but this was absolutely not the case here! Gaudium is an incredibly spacious room boasting a huge comfortable King size bed, a comfortable sofa area, a well stocked mini bar, a generous wardrobe (neither my girlfriend or I travel light). Also the beautiful decor with exposed brick walls and a huge window that let's in ample light! The bathroom again was great! A walk in monsoon shower that could comfortably fit 5 people and a stunning roll top bath! Of course there were gowns and fresh towels provided every morning too! We had no traffic noise or street noise also! Slept like a rock for all three nights!

Breakfast was great also! It is served between 7am and 10am comprising of a continental breakfast of which there was a good variety. There was also a cooked breakfast menu on which i tried the French Toasted Brioche with Bacon and Maple Syrup! Sublime!

We ate in the restaurant on the first night! Excellent wine, nice bottle of Malbec for £30ish. Food was good, not the best but still very good! I would say that front of house staff in the restaurant are VERY good with excellent knowledge and very attentive, the only thing that let the experience down was the slightly slow service from back of house in the kitchen, felt like it took maybe 10-15 minutes too long on each course but we were in no rush! I'd say worth eating there though if you are already staying at the hotel!

Location of the hotel is good for sightseeing and the museum!

Would absolutely stay here again and already planning another trip for next year during the festival!

Good work guys! Well done!
Nice to see that good service does still exist even in a chain!

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you indeed for the time spent to review the wonderful Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am extremely happy to read you had a wonderful trip with your girlfriend and delighted my team made your stay extra special with a complimentary upgrade to the lovely Gaudium room.

Thanks for the feedback regarding dinner service and this is something I will pass onto my Head Chef.

I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again, in the near future.

Aiken, South Carolina
Reviewed 23 October 2013

wonderful location in old town and convenient walking distance to attractions, restaurants & pubs. On-site restaurant very nice. Bar areas very comfortable. Room comfortable. Only negatives - failure to complete our wake-up call at 4AM last morning when we were heading to airport (we had a back-up set) and they could not locate bar soap for the bathroom sink. They did acknowledge the missed wake-up call when we checked-out. I would still make this my first choice next time in Edinburgh for the convenience to what I think are many of the highlights of town.

Dear patcal4,

Thank you for your review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am delighted to read you enjoyed the facilities and please do accept my apologies on your missed wake up call. This is a very unusual situation for my front desk team and shouldn't happen again in the future.

Thank you for your understanding and look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Best regards,

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I really liked the atmosphere of the hotel. Very cosy public areas. I had the Springfield room, and that room isn't facing the street, so you won't be awakened by drunk people at 3 AM in the morning.

Had a dinner in the restaurant, and it was very good. The breakfast buffe is ok, but it would be nice to see some coarse bread and cold cuts/cheese.

The wifi worked without any interruptions.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't close to the street.
Dear Mr The Traveller,

It was a pleasure to read your review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am very happy to read you enjoyed your time with us and also for your suggested breakfast idea's. I will be sure to pass these onto our Group Executive Chef for consideration for a future breakfast buffet.

Many thanks again and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Best,
Scotland
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I booked this hotel through a Visit Scotland experience package for my husband birthday , we don't live that far from Edinburgh but its nice to stay over sometimes . Oh how i wish i had got the last train home !. The hotel public areas are very nice and have a good atmosphere , the lady at check in was very nice and showed us to our room which was called 'Yerling Station' the room was a 'double' but clearly more suited to being a single , i had no table at the side of the bed because you would not have been able to open the wardrobe door if there had been one , there was about a12 inch space between the end of the bed and the tv . the bathroom was no better when opening the door it only just clears the edge of the sink. I had booked a dinner , bed and breakfast package so went for dinner , i ordered seared scallops at £11.95 , i got the smallest portion of scallops i have ever seen and they were clearly 2 scallops cut in half to make 4 and if not then this hotel really needs to change its fish supplier , my hubbies soup looked really nice though . We both had steak and mine was ok but my husband ordered his fillet medium but this steak still had a heartbeat when he cut into it , suffice to say he sent it back TWICE ! On the 3rd attempt he received a brand new steak but i had already finished my meal by this time .When we went back to our small room we had put the blinds down before we left but when the lights were out the street lights lit up the room like a christmas tree ! this was the least of our worries because our room was on the first floor directly above a kebab shop so until around 4 in the morning it was constant traffic and drunken people singing, shouting , eating their kebabs etc . Unfortunately my nice weekend away had turned into a bit of a nightmare and i would have probably gotten a better nights sleep on a bench at Waverly station. Breakfast was ok but to be honest i just wanted to go home , i felt sick with tiredness . We were booked in for a wine tasting lunch that day but chose to go home instead as we were just so tired and grumpy . i have rebooked my wine tasting lunch so really hoping that The Hotel Du Vin can redeem itself for me and prove that its worthy of all the good reviews it receives , because my experience was neither relaxing or good

Room Tip: run for the hills if your room is called Yerling Station , to be honest anything on the first floor...
3 Thank merc2557
Dear merc2557,

Thank you for your review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro Edinburgh. I am very sorry to read your review and that you did not have an enjoyable time with us.

As the hotel is a listed building and a former asylum, our room sizes do vary and some rooms larger than others. It is a shame to read you were woken up by outside noise and i do apologise.

With regards to the Bistro, the evening in question was a very busy service and all other diners had exquisit meals. My head chef was on duty and served many steaks of the same cooking request and all were perfect, again I am sorry to read your husband's was sent back twice.

I am confident that your return wine lunch experience will be a winner and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Mansfield, Texas
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Last week my 5 day stay was enjoyed from the first to last minute. Pleasant and courteous staff from check-in, invisible housekeeping (efficient and detailed without any hint of nudging a guest from their room), service staff met questions with a smile and useful answer. Not a thing lack nor slack, in amenities. Room quiet and furnished with beautiful textures, colors, fixtures and attractively stained wood (I love to see the grain).

The courtyard area offered a wonderful outdoor option without the direct bustle or fumes of sitting directly streetside and the surrounding structure eased sounds of traffic. The cigar boothy was quite attractive and much appreciated.

Delicious food, with helpful staff keeping an eye out for the needed refill or dish to remove, while never being intrusive of one enjoying what is before them.

I cannot wait to return.

Tim - stayed in Catena Zapata

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Tim B
Dear Tim,

Thank you for your wonderful review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro, following your stay with us back in October. I am delighted to read you had a brilliant stay with us from start to finish and that my team were top quality.

We do strive to provide the best in Scottish Hospitality and would love the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Nice hotel , imaginative public spaces and cosy bar area for a quiet drink. Don't let them give you a room facing onto Bristol Place, there is no sound proofing from drunks at 3am. Rooms are small so upgrade if you can.

1 Thank JulesNo1
Dear Jules,

Thank you for your review of HDV Edinburgh. It is much appreciated and we do value your feedback. I have to agree the public spaces and bar is very cosy and all our guests do enjoy the facilities we have on offer.

Once again thank you and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Best regards,