“An outstanding corporate dinner”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #50 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 13 January 2014

NewsBase held it's annual corporate dinner for 40 people at HDV Edinburgh on 11 January 2014. As MD, I cannot speak highly enough of the way that we were looked after from the moment that we arrived on Saturday afternoon to the time that we sadly had to leave on Sunday. The hotel was excellent in all ways, with fantastic rooms, excellent food and drink and tremendous service from the staff. Planning for the event was made easy by Emma as a result of which there were no last minute niggles, or indeed, any problems at all - professionalism was evident throughout.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear WillC,

Thank you very much for your lovely review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am delighted to read you had a great Corporate event at the hotel and that all your guests had an amazing time. My team are a great credit to the hotel and I will be sure to advise Emma of your lovely feedback.

I do hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Hotel du Vin & Bistro

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Stayed in Hotel Du Vin Edinburgh as a pre christmas shopping break. The hotel was beautifully decorated for christmas and I loved the decor throughout the hotel. We stayed in a superior room as we took advantage of an offer and wasn't let down. The freestanding bath makes these rooms and one of the first things I did was have a bath! As the shower and bath area are open plan these type of rooms are not for the shy and retiring..little on the dark side in terms of lighting but I quite liked that. The service from every member of staff we encountered was excellent. The food in the bistro was also very good but maybe a little bit on the expensive side depending on your budget. Would definitely stay here again I loved the superior room and freestanding bath!

Room Tip: If money allows opt for superior room or suite
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear Bananarama30,

Thank your very much for your taking your time to post a review following your recent stay at Hotel du Vin, Edinburgh. I am delighted to read you had the most enjoyable time with us and enjoy the quality of our rooms and the service from my team.

Once again thank you for sharing your feedback and I look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back again, in the near future.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Had a whisky tasting session booked as a gift. When I turned up there was actually no record of my booking but the bar staff were exceptionally accommodating (including a drink on the house by way of apology). Apologies I've forgotten the name of the barman who greeted me and arranged the tasting at short notice.
Dominic the sommelier was very knowledgable and approachable. The whiskies were varied to give a good impression of the different flavours produced by distilling/storing methods.
All in all a great experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear GerryCousins,

Thank you for your review, following a Whisky Tasting with Dominic at the hotel. I am delighted to read you had an enjoyable and memorable visit, leaving with much more knowledge on Whisky. I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the team.

Many thanks and hopefully see you back soon for an advanced tasting.

Best regards

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Very cosy and lovely hotel. Staff very friendly and helpful. The food is awesome. The bedrooms and bathrooms were great. Location also perfect. Good location to have a conference or team building. Sightseeing great.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear WendyCapeTown,

Thank you for your review following your visit with us in November. It is with great pleasure to read you had a great stay with us and recommend us to others.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the food and I will be sure to pass those onto our chef and kitchen team.

Many thanks again and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as part of our honeymoon when visiting Edinburgh. Hotel centrally located and managed to stop outside to unload luggage.
We were emailed the week before to be on standby upgrade (for a price) and very delighted to be upgraded to a suite called Errazuriz.
First impressions the room is lovely. Open planned with a massive telly, it was the first thing my husband went to in the room. Sound system, coffee machine, fridge, open plan bath and amazing monsoon showers.
This room is on the first floor and it was a bit annoying as the floor above was creaky you could hear other guests moving around. Also the room doors closing shook our whole room and this is more or less constant, soft close doors would of been ideal. The room is located at the front of the hotel, and the traffic noise didn't bother us, but as you are above the hotel entrance and possibly the kitchen the noise was constant. And I mean at 6.30am not so bad when throughout the day. Be prepared for banging doors and what sounded like metal barrels being moved.
If you can afford to upgrade I would try a quiter room. I love the hotel it's gorgeous, we didn't get to try the public areas, claret bar or whisky snug but they looked very inviting, not too busy either. I would stay here again but wouldn't pay to upgrade if it was this suite.
Also remember to ask about car parking discount on check out. We forgot so didn't get 20% discount. Adds up when you've been there a few days.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank caz_bpool

Dear caz_blackpool,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. Firstly congratulations on your nuptials and I am delighted you had a lovely stay with us. Please do accept my apologies regarding some of the noises heard, I will have my maintenance team investigate the door closers, to ensure they close much quieter.

Once again thank you for your review and I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We visited this hotel for the 4th time in 3 years. We enjoy staying here because this is a hotel where you can actually spend time either in your room or in the other public rooms and still feel comfortable and at home. The standard rooms are very small though, and we always spend some money on a larger room such as the open plan rooms or a suite. To us these larger rooms are well worth their price. The beds are super comfortable and we always sleep very well here. Bathrooms are nice as well, sometimes with not so much room to put all the girls stuff. Bath tubs (rolltop tubs) are great. Wardrobes provide enough space for clothing.

Food in the Bistro is good and the wine selection is perfect. Also the upstairs bar is a nice place to spend time. Personnel is always very friendly and do their best to make you feel at home.

What we have observed during the three years since we know this hotel is that the rooms are getting a bit worn down now. We stayed in the Gaudium room for a week during Christmas 2013 and in the first night the flushing of the toiled broke (!). Not exactly what you enjoy on a 24th of December morning... Anyway, the guy at the reception gave us another room so that we could use the toilet there until ours got fixed a couple of hours later. Last time we stayed here (did not write any review) one year ago, in another suite the light in the bathroom did not work properly, and the handle of the balcony door almost fell off. Such things and other little details give us the feeling that the rooms are getting a bit "tired". The du Vin people would do well at taking a real close look especially at the bathrooms and try out all showers and handles and lamps and stuff and also give everything a real good clean up (yes, there are some spots in the bathroom which have not seen a cleanig cloth for a very long time). It is not a cheap hotel and as a guest you do expect a certain level of quality in the rooms.

We have looked at other hotels as well but they do not have the ambiance of the du Vin, so we hope very much that our favourite will pick up a bit by next time we visit Edinburgh.

Room Tip: The Gaudium room is a large and quiet room with a large bathroom. La Grande Dame is large room/sui...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Berit G

Dear Berit G,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us over Christmas. I am delighted to read you have become a fan of Hotel du Vin and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again the future.

Thanks for advising of the minor issues you experienced and I will be sure to have our maintenance team go around and check many of the appliances. Unfortunately at time, things do go wrong but are easily rectified. I am very happy to read that the team did offer an alternative room for you to use, until we have your toilet flush fixed.

Thank you for the lovely comments regarding the food and wine in the Bistro. I will be passing this on to my team whom I know will be very grateful.

Once again Berit, thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back again later this year.

Best regards

Reviewed 1 January 2014

My partner upgraded us to a premier room which had a stand alone bathtub. Room was barely furnished but beautiful. Nespresso coffee machine was a nice touch and when we used all the pods, the staff replenished them straight away. Ate in the restaurant and the food was lovely. Whiskey bothy outside looked inviting but we were too cold! Great location in Edinburgh a few steps away from the National Museum.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Snow D
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear Snow D,

Happy New Year and thank you for your lovely review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am delighted to read you had an enjoyable stay and made use of the facilities on offer.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.