“lovely afternoon tea”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #62 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 22 January 2014

What a lovely place. Staff were very helpful and attentive during our afternoon tea for 6 people.
The courtyard had a heated covered area to protect you from the normal Scottish weather should you need it as well as tables and chairs uncovered for you to use if the sun shines.
There was a huge log fire in our dining area which gave a homely effect though it did get very warm.
Afternoon tea consisted of the normal sandwiches, scones, cakes and the selection of different teas was very good. All the tea was loose leaf and there was extra water to add to your pot if you required it. Nice touch was that all the cups, plates etc were fine china which always makes the tea taste better (I think). We stayed for quite a long time and never felt we were being rushed to leave as happens in so many other places.
All in all a very enjoyable afternoon was had by all and I plan to get my husband to take me back to stay overnight and dine there as well.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Trish,

Thank you for your lovely review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am delighted to read you had a great Afternoon Tea experience with us. We believe Afternoon Tea to be a relaxed and enjoyable experience and would never rush anyone to enjoy a lovely treat. The fire in the bistro is a great addition, especially on cold winter days.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another treat.

Best regards
Michael Musgrave

Write a ReviewReviews (1,096)

Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed here on the weekend of Friday 13th December for 2 nights and had a relaxing enjoyable stay in Hotel Du Vin. Upon arrival to our room we were greeted with a personal message from the manager with complimentary chocolates, a really nice gesture :) the rooms was small but very cosy and adequate for our needs; the bathroom was huge with a bath and monsoon shower, also had a good view of the courtyard.
We looked forward to coming back to the room each night, esp with the December weather! My boyfriend enjoyed having a smoke at the cigar hubby with heated fire, whilst I preferred the whiskey room for an afternoon tea which also had a fire in the traditional scottish decor room. The hotel was relaxing as it wasn't overly busy which was nice as coming home from a bustling princes street we looked forward to sitting down to a drink and able to enjoy the calmness!
The breakfast was the highlight of our trip, I had the eggs Benedict and smoked salmon with scrambled eggs during my stay (spoilt for choice, great menu!) and there is also the option of a continental breakfast with a vast array of choices such as croissants, yoghurts, fresh orange juice, pastries, cereals and fruit Etc
We found the wine a tad expensive, it works out better opening a bottle of wine from the Mini bar if enjoying a drink in the room rather than ordering a glass or two from room service.
Overall we had a most enjoyable stay in the run up to christmas, and found the hotel cosy, intimate, and relaxing. We hope to return back in the near future

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Reflections1012,

Thank you for taking the time out to review your recent with us at Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am delighted to read how positive your stay was with us and that you had an enjoyable and relaxing stay.

It is very encouraging to read how you had a great Breakfast experience and I will share your feedback with my team. I am glad you and your partner got to enjoy the various little nooks and crannies throughout the hotel.

Once again, thank you and I very much look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed a one night stay in a superior room. Lovely room with a roll top bath and rain forest shower. All staff were attentive, friendly and courteous and a credit to the hotel. The breakfast was delicious, we enjoyed the cooked option. Gorgeous, cosy hotel - can't wait to return.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear mintaero,

Thank you very much for your review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. It is with great pleasure to read you and your partner had a lovely stay with us. I am delighted to note the staff were outstanding on this visit and that you particularly enjoyed your breakfast.

Thank you very much and we look forward to having you return to us in the near future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 13 January 2014

NewsBase held it's annual corporate dinner for 40 people at HDV Edinburgh on 11 January 2014. As MD, I cannot speak highly enough of the way that we were looked after from the moment that we arrived on Saturday afternoon to the time that we sadly had to leave on Sunday. The hotel was excellent in all ways, with fantastic rooms, excellent food and drink and tremendous service from the staff. Planning for the event was made easy by Emma as a result of which there were no last minute niggles, or indeed, any problems at all - professionalism was evident throughout.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear WillC,

Thank you very much for your lovely review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am delighted to read you had a great Corporate event at the hotel and that all your guests had an amazing time. My team are a great credit to the hotel and I will be sure to advise Emma of your lovely feedback.

I do hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Stayed in Hotel Du Vin Edinburgh as a pre christmas shopping break. The hotel was beautifully decorated for christmas and I loved the decor throughout the hotel. We stayed in a superior room as we took advantage of an offer and wasn't let down. The freestanding bath makes these rooms and one of the first things I did was have a bath! As the shower and bath area are open plan these type of rooms are not for the shy and retiring..little on the dark side in terms of lighting but I quite liked that. The service from every member of staff we encountered was excellent. The food in the bistro was also very good but maybe a little bit on the expensive side depending on your budget. Would definitely stay here again I loved the superior room and freestanding bath!

Room Tip: If money allows opt for superior room or suite
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear Bananarama30,

Thank your very much for your taking your time to post a review following your recent stay at Hotel du Vin, Edinburgh. I am delighted to read you had the most enjoyable time with us and enjoy the quality of our rooms and the service from my team.

Once again thank you for sharing your feedback and I look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back again, in the near future.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Had a whisky tasting session booked as a gift. When I turned up there was actually no record of my booking but the bar staff were exceptionally accommodating (including a drink on the house by way of apology). Apologies I've forgotten the name of the barman who greeted me and arranged the tasting at short notice.
Dominic the sommelier was very knowledgable and approachable. The whiskies were varied to give a good impression of the different flavours produced by distilling/storing methods.
All in all a great experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear GerryCousins,

Thank you for your review, following a Whisky Tasting with Dominic at the hotel. I am delighted to read you had an enjoyable and memorable visit, leaving with much more knowledge on Whisky. I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the team.

Many thanks and hopefully see you back soon for an advanced tasting.

Best regards

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Very cosy and lovely hotel. Staff very friendly and helpful. The food is awesome. The bedrooms and bathrooms were great. Location also perfect. Good location to have a conference or team building. Sightseeing great.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear WendyCapeTown,

Thank you for your review following your visit with us in November. It is with great pleasure to read you had a great stay with us and recommend us to others.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the food and I will be sure to pass those onto our chef and kitchen team.

Many thanks again and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Best wishes,