“Birthday treat” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #64 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Helensburgh, United Kingdom
“Birthday treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

Spent a night at the hotel to celebrate my partner's birthday and valentine's day as we love Edinburgh. I had upgraded to a superior double as a surprise and we were given Domino de Valdepusa. which was on the corner of the road giving us two views. The room was simply stunning. It was immaculately presented with lots of special touches. The roll top bath was at the foot of the bed, with an amazing separate shower which was a drenchapman shower and the best I have ever been in. The bath was soon full of hot water and occupied! The room took full use of the sloping roof and quirky shapes and was beautifully decorated throughout, nodding to its former use. It was well soundproofed. The only extremely minor niggle was the blind above the sink being very thin, which did not block the light. The bed was large and very comfortable!

The hotel itself is amazingly, beautifully and sympathetically restored. It meanders and leads you through gorgeous corners, bars, courtyards and restaurants. The staff are also very friendly and helpful. Car parking is discounted and an easy walk 5 minutes from the hotel. The hotel itself is in a great location. Minutes away from vibrant bars and restaurants, and a 5 minute walk from the Grassmarket and Royal Mile.

We had an incredible time in an incredible hotel. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Pay a bit extra for a superior room, you won't regret it! Pay the £3 extra for a full breakfast...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HelenDB7
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear HelenDB7,

Thank you for your time to review Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I was extremely thrilled to read about your Birthday treat and that you had a great stay. Our Superior rooms are delightful and the roll top baths are a great added benefit to the rooms.

It is very pleasing you got to enjoy your partners Birthday and Valentines treat all in one. It is very reassuring to read the team exceeded expectations and all aspects of your visit were great.

Thank you once again and I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

Michael Musgrave

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Polish first
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

So, this was I think our 5th or 6th visit to HDV in Edinburgh over the past 3 years!
I have never been disappointed with my visits here, and this time was great as ever.
The room we were given was the best I think i have ever stayed in,spacious, comfortable, beautifully furnished and above all, in my preferred location in a hotel, ie, the top floor!
Everything about HDV in Edinburgh is about the service, warm, friendly and accomodating front of house staff, bar staff and restaurant staff, all of them take a pride in what they do, its the little things like remembering your drinks preferences etc that make all the difference, but more than that, everyone involved seems intent on making your stay a pleasure.
There are many fine hotels in Edinburgh, and i have stayed in quite a few, but since i started going to the HDV, i dont want to go anywhere else.

Room Tip: They are all different, if you get a chance to upgrade, try it, you wont be disappointed.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear privatewire,

Thank you very much for your lovely review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am delighted to read such positive feedback which is very pleasing and one I will be sharing with my team.

I am delighted you are a regular guest of ours and that we continually aim to exceed your expectations. My team are a great asset to the hotel and are key to a guests experience.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

Brought my girlfriend here for her birthday. Couldn't have been more impressed with the room, massive bath tub in the centre with Bose surround sound system and a Nespresso machine to top it all off. Staff were very courteous for example bringing up 2 fresh boxes of Nespresso capsules for our use. Highly enjoyable stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WallerSt123
Dear WallerSt123,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am very pleased to read you had a fantastic visit with us and made your stay quite special. It is great to receive this feedback and I will be sure to share with my team.

Once again, thank you and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Regards
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

This is a very quirky hotel in which it is possible to get lost quite easily. All the rooms follow the HduVin brand. The beds are hugely comfortable and the quality of bedlinen quite amazing. Shower heads are enormous and the communal rooms are very comfortable. It is in a great location and the staff are professional and helpful. Downsides are that not all rooms are accessible by lift (not too serious as only three floors high), some of the rooms are a bit dark (those in the attic part) but overall a lovely place to stay. None of the H du V are that cheap but they are probably worth it

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Giz56,

Thank you for your lovely review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am very pleased to read you had a nice stay with us and you liked the charm and offering of what we provide. Unfortunately the layout of the old Asylum doesnt lend itself to provide lifts to all floor and therefore 8 rooms are accessed via a staircase. We do provide a rooming service to all our guests to ensure they know the location of room and also provide assistance with luggage.

I am glad you liked the beds and the showers, they are by far the best i have come across in my time in hotels.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

Best regards
BenAhmed
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

Just back from a stay at the hotel, and I can't recommend this hotel enough. We like to stay at The HdV hotels, and this one does not disappoint.

As you walk in your greeted by a friendly reception staff that show you up to your room, nice touch and explain the features within the well appointed rooms. The room we stayed in was lovely. Spacious and very clean. The bathroom had both a bath and a walk in shower. The rooms are well decorated (a slight smell of paint in the room, but no big issue).

The hotel in an old asylum. its quirky, and had a individual feel.

We had our dogs with us, and most hotels make you feel quite unwelcome, however when we went down for breakfast, they had set up the whiskey snug so we didn't have to leave the dogs. We had dinner in the cellar bar, and again the set up a table for us to use and we ordered from the bistro menu. All of the staff in the hotel really go out of their way to help. They went beyond the call, we stayed for lunch on Sunday which was just great, and again chose to have lunch in the bar.

Sandy and the rest of the guys on the bar really looked after us he and the other guy are really helpful and we spent a great couple of days at the hotel.

The restaurant manager even offered to get some of the champagne we were drinking ordered back in for us. Great touch! That said they have a lovely wine list so it was no problem finding something else.

If i were heading back to Edinburgh, I would book this hotel in an instant!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Ben,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am delighted we got you to stay and that your dogs were also able to make the visit. We do take great pride in providing exceptional service to all guests and take the time to remember preference of guests, especially if staying over a few days.

My team are a great asset to the hotel and I thank you for taking the time to mention them and I will be sure to share your feedback with them.

Once again Ben, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

Headed over to the bar for coffee and a wee dram........ What a great night..... Dominic took care of recommending some outstanding whiskey very knowledgeable, friendly and a great host..... The atmosphere is great, relaxing, intimate and a warm fire. Love coming here and always have a great experience, will be back again. The staff are all friendly, and helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Hippiechick88,

Thank you for posting your review regarding you visit with us. I am delighted that Dominic took great care of you and recommended some fine Whisky's for you to enjoy. My team here are very knowledgable and will always go out of their way to enjoy you get as much education as possible regarding Wines and Whisky.

We do very hope to have you come back again in the near future.

Best Regards,
Crieff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

What a lovely place. Staff were very helpful and attentive during our afternoon tea for 6 people.
The courtyard had a heated covered area to protect you from the normal Scottish weather should you need it as well as tables and chairs uncovered for you to use if the sun shines.
There was a huge log fire in our dining area which gave a homely effect though it did get very warm.
Afternoon tea consisted of the normal sandwiches, scones, cakes and the selection of different teas was very good. All the tea was loose leaf and there was extra water to add to your pot if you required it. Nice touch was that all the cups, plates etc were fine china which always makes the tea taste better (I think). We stayed for quite a long time and never felt we were being rushed to leave as happens in so many other places.
All in all a very enjoyable afternoon was had by all and I plan to get my husband to take me back to stay overnight and dine there as well.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Trish,

Thank you for your lovely review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am delighted to read you had a great Afternoon Tea experience with us. We believe Afternoon Tea to be a relaxed and enjoyable experience and would never rush anyone to enjoy a lovely treat. The fire in the bistro is a great addition, especially on cold winter days.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another treat.

Best regards