Hotel du Vin & Bistro
US$215
US$178
US$107
  • Pool
Murrayfield Hotel and House(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$122
Agoda.com
US$849
US$683
1,176 results
All reviewsmonsoon showerroll top bathwhisky snugcigar bothyhdv edinburghoverlooking the courtyardroyal milesuperior roomfree standing bathlovely hotelnational museum of scotlandeggs benedictnespresso machinemini barlovely roomedinburgh hotelboutique hotel
Reviewed 22 February 2014

My husband received a 'Whisky Tasting Experience' for his 60th Birthday at The Hotel Du Vin & Bistro in Edinburgh, this voucher enable both my husband and I to enjoy this experience, the hotel holds these on every 2nd Friday but, as we would not be able to go in the week due to work commitments, the hotel very kindly allowed us to us this on Saturday 15th Feb 2014, we booked a weekend to enjoy the city of Edinburgh, and went along at 3pm, we met our host for the tasting a Wilbert Fernandes, and we thoroughly enjoyed our experience, my husband loves Malt Whisky but I am not really a fan, so I was a tiny bit apprehensive, Wilbert set the table up with 5 Malt Whiskies, Water and some samples of the dried ingrediants and peat, and began the story of how all the different Malt Whiskies are made. To say he was informative was mild, he was brillliant!!!! , no question unanswered, he is a mind of information and made our experience wonderful. He advised me to add tiny drops of water to lessen the harshness of some of the whiskies, suffice to say I really did enjoy them. Wilbert was friendly, made us feel very comfortable in his presence, we felt at the end as if he were an old friend, nothing was too much trouble and I hope this review will help others to make the decision to take part in this experience. The Hotel Du Vin has a jewel in the crown, in having Wilbert as one of their staff.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ELAINE R
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Elaine,

Thank you for taking the time out to post a review following your Whisky Experience with Wilbert. I am delighted you found the session, fun and informative. Wilbert is certainly a great asset to the team and very knowledgable in his field of expertise. My team do take good care to ensure all guests whether novices or experienced, get an education from our events and also to feel at ease to ensure you make of the most of the experience.

Thank you once again for your kind words and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your husband back in the near future.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Well situated hotel near to Grassmarket and a short walk to the a Royal Mile. Shown to a very small room that looked like it was meant for one person and not two i.e. bedside table just on one side, one chair and little space for bag. Pretty disappointing given the previous reviews. Worst experience was breakfast as after waiting 15 minutes we had to go and ask the staff to take our order. My wife ordered eggs Benedict with smoked salmon - my food arrived first followed sometime later by hers and was told that they had no salmon left so the chef had just made with bacon - what a big oops that could have been.
Sure this place could and is better but our experience doesn't encourage an early return.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear trevannie,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I am sorry to read that your experience was not to the normal high standard that we pride upon and I thank you for sharing your feedback. Please do accept my sincere apologies and I will ensure that I address the issue regarding breakfast with my Head Chef. Due to the style and shape of the hotel, our rooms do all vary in size and furnished to accommodate the space within.

Once again, please do accept my apologies and I hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back again, in the near future.

Regards,

Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Stopped here in February after an Edinburgh visit with friends the hotel was warm and very welcoming the staff friendly and polite. The breakfast was superb with a great selection of both Continental and cooked Scottish with plenty of coffee tea and toast.
The only negative thing of the stay was the combination of heating / air conditioning which was so noisy and hot that we had to open the windows to cool down!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear dodgyflier,

Thank you for your time in reviewing Hotel du Vin & Bistro Edinburgh. It is such a pleasure to read your kind comments regarding the team and service recieved during a busy time for the hotel. I am sorry you experienced some issues with the AC unit during your stay, I do hope this was a minor issue. My maintenance team have been informed to investigate the system to ensure there was no underlying fault.

Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Regards

Reviewed 17 February 2014

This is a finely situated hotel. Close enough to the points of interest but not in the absolute hub of it. The area is filled with great restaurants, slap bang next to the National Musuem of Scotland and only a 8 minute walk from the train station (although I would recommend catching a taxi as it is a tad confusing and difficult to orientate yourself upon arrival by train).

When you wander inside there is immediately the sense that is is a hotel du vin, the furnishings, the pictures are all in keeping with the dark wood and comfortable sofas you find in all hotels of this ilk.

It is a bit higgedly piggedly within the hotel so keep an eye on your bearings as you are shown to your accommodation so that you can find your way out (and more importantly your way back in!).

The deluxe room we had was delightful - although not the best choice for the tall amongst you - one section of the room had a slanted ceiling which would have proved awkward had we been higher in stature. There was a bath in the room with enough room for two, the shower as always was excellent although the monsoon shower head dripped for a fair while after each shower...There is fresh milk in the fridge for brews which is a big plus in my book.

The bed was superb; huge and comfortable with high quality linens. The bar made up some fine cocktails and usual the wine choices made for our meal were spot on.

We often choose Hotel du vin for the reliability of service, the quality of bed and linens and the fact that the bathing facilities are always brilliant!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sallyswpea

Dear Sallyswpea,

Thank you for your lovely review regarding your recent stay with us in Edinburgh. I am delighted to read you had an enjoyable stay and you found the services and amentities as you would have expected. It is always very re-assuring when guests comment on the little touches that make their stay. The hotel in its former life was a lunatic asylum, hence the winding corridors and slanted ceilings which I believe adds to the charm.

Once again thank you for your kind words and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the very near future.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

A lovely hotel in a great location, really enjoyed Grassmarket, a part of Edinburgh we hadn't explored much in the past. The hotel was easy to find and had plenty of character. The room was nice, if oddly shaped and well appointed, clean and spacious, dinner in the evening was lovely, service was good. Will we return to this hotel? Definitely not. The worst nights sleep we have ever encountered because of the drunken students milling around the streets up until 4.30 am. The hotel needs to instal triple glazing to drown out the shouting, singing and cars speeding up and down the street at stupid o'clock. At £441 for dinner, bed and breakfast, house wine and a couple of drinks for two people it was an expensive night away.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fi M
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Fi M,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel du Vin Eidnburgh, following your stay this weekend with us. I am very sorry to hear your stay was runied by noise coming from the streets outside. It is disappointing that this was something we couldn't rectify while you were staying with us.

I am grateful to read you enjoyed the Bistro and Service and the room was quirky. I do apologise your stay was not as good as should have been. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further and hopefully have you back to try us again.

michael.musgrave@hotelduvin.com