“Excellent hotel and staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #64 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel and staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

We stayed for 4 nights, we had already paid to upgrade to a Superior room, but on arrival we were given a free upgrade to a suite. Hotel staff showed us to our room, and explained the history of the hotel on route. The Bistro staff were also excellent, and went out of the way to provide perfect service. We will be staying again soon.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Melanie,

Thank you for your lovely review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro Edinburgh. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and that you found the hotel and service team excellent. We are all very proud of our little hotel and thank you again for your positive words.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the very near future.

Best regards,
Michael Musgrave

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Polish first
Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

Booked 6 rooms here as part of a wedding party, mixture of standard and superior rooms to be honest there was nothing between them, the hotel overall was nice but the lounge bar is high up open plan above the restaurant and unbearably hot, I did ask if there were fans and was told only behind the bar and during the summer months, the place is an absolute maze and because there are no room numbers only names I and several of my party found ourselves wandering up and down corridors trying to find a lift or exit, it used to be the insane asylum, and most of our party were near demented by the time we left would be much better with room numbers instead of French wine names/ regions. Parking is a big issue as the hotel entrance is just a few metres from lights and busy junction so difficult to stop and unload luggage, parking is also difficult to get to with the car because of one way system but only a short walk from the hotel suggest have the car park post code. The staff were very good and very helpful, breakfast was outstanding and overall the food was good but very slow to be served. Seemed not to be enough staff on for breakfast or evening meal, This was a good hotel for our location to the wedding venue at the museum tower, but if just visiting Edinburgh I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are much quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
Dear Elaine,

Thank you for your review of Hotel du Vin. I am sorry to read that you and your party found the hotel a little confusing to find your rooms. All our Hotel du Vins are unique in that we are different from all other hotels in using Wines/Champagnes as room names as this does add to the character of the building and rooms.

Being a City Centre hotel, like the Tower is a City Centre restaurant, there is no parking in our Old Town location. We are lucky to have a single yellow line outside the hotel to allow for our guests to load / unload luggage as this used to be a double line until recently.

Thank you for your lovely feedback on our Bistro regarding dinner and breakfast. We do believe these should be leisurely experiences and want our guests to enjoy the time to relax while dining.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I hopefully you will reconsider to using Hotel du Vin again in the near future.

Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

After reading some good reviews, I booked an afternoon tea as an early Mothers Day treat for Mum & I.
The hotelier lovely & is in an unusual, quirky building. We were sat upstairs overlooking the reception area, which was nice & comfortable.
Glass of fizz plus proper leaf tea was brought whilst we waited. 45 MINUTES LATER the afternoon tea still hadn't arrived. Having asked staff TWICE, we just kept getting told "it's being specially prepared as everything is freshly made".
The afternoon tea eventually arrived & was a major disappointment. Only 3 TINY fingers of bread sandwich each, 2 scones & several mini cakes. The scones were the worst we have ever had. Dry, dense & of rubber like consistency. The only mini cake that was nice was the carrot cake. All of the other cakes were dry. There is no way this afternoon tea had been "freshly made". It was awful.
The only thing to redeem the experience was the service. Very nice.
We were asked if we'd enjoyed our experience. We were honest & said no. This was handed very well & staff apologised, saying they would pass our comments on.
We will not be returning.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear womenabroad,

Thank you for your review of your afternoon tea experience with us. I am sorry to read you did not have an enjoyable tea and this is feedback my team have been passed on to ensure no future shortcomings.

I am glad to read you did find our service charming and hopefully you will reconsider to return in the near future.

Regards
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

We have just returned from the Hotel du vin in Edinburgh where we had booked the Sunday Evening deal - with us combining an overnight stay with the Sunday brunch. We upgraded to a larger room. Its fair to say the entire stay got off to a pretty terrible start.

Our first impressions were not good - having called the hotel twice to confirm our brunch booking prior to arriving, we were very frustrated to find there had been a mix up with our booking - and the hotel had no record of our table being booked. Initially it appeared we were being told we could therefore not have brunch in the hotel - however when we expressed being unhappy with this, the Bistro manager attempted to make up a spare table in a hallway full of people waiting beside the entrance to the Bistro (with a window looking onto reception) in a hurried manner. As we were preparing to spend in excess of £100 pounds on a brunch we told him this wasn't really acceptable to us - and were allocated a later booking when a table could be 'found'. This meant we had to change our entire plans for the day in Edinburgh, and return 2 hours later for brunch. Overall it made us feel like an inconvenience instead of valued customers. Not impressed.

When we eventually got it - the brunch itself was delicious, with the market table being a highlight - the staff member allocated to the market table did the hotel proud - excellent knowledge of all the food and was really helpful!

After Brunch we checked into our room - again, not impressed. No introduction to the hotel 'chat' - ie no information about hotel facilities/check out times/ect - we really expected better. We were also slightly disappointed with the room - it was clean and large with a lovely roll top bath, however lacked the basic accessories that are found in other hotels - for example, no milk for the tea, plugs which only fit the hotel du vin lamps (so no where to plug in more than one phone or computer), and the room heating went no lower than 16degrees - so it was far too warm overnight! The room was quiet and we slept well with no disturbance.

Our check out was equally un-impressive, with the reception staff not even enquiring as to how our stay was! Really - we would have taken this opportunity to express our displeasure if given the chance, and really this is the sign of a good hotel in our opinion - seeking feedback at the time rather than scouring sites such like this for how their customers feel!!

To summarise, we were disappointed, and felt we over paid for a very very average stay, in a city full of excellent alternative accommodation. Whilst we enjoyed the Brunch - the hotel itself is a let down to the Hotel du vin brand, and really does not live up to its name at all. We will not return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Fiona M,

Thank you for your review of hotel du vin and i am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay.

Upon investigation regarding your Brunch booking, you had booked the hotel room and lunch under 2 different names hence your reservation for lunch could not be located. This was later noticed when a table did not turn up at 1pm and further investigation was carried out, with the booking name only noticed from an email address that was supplied upon your registration card.

On check in, my team should have and are normally very good at descripting the facilities on offer at the hotel, regarding checking in times, dinner, breakfast etc. I do find this a very unusual occurance and please do accept my apologies.

All our rooms provide fresh milk for teas/coffees which is located in the fridge, depending on the rooms, could be found inside the wardrobe, or the standalone tea/coffee station. With the hotel being quite modern, we do supply 3 pin plug sockets throughout the room, by the doors, desk and bedside, I am sorry that you could not locate these.

Once again, I am sorry you feel you had an unpleasant experience but i do thank you for the compliments regarding your brunch and that you slept well overall.

Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

If you enjoy a good cigar then you cannot go wrong with the hotel du vin as they have a lovely cigar bothy in their courtyard where you can spend a relaxing hour or two mixing a good cigar with an excellent tipple. The friendly and knowledgable staff will help you pair a cigar (available from the bar if you don't bring your own) with a great selection of spirits or wines. Great for a drop in to fill an afternoon or as a longer stay if you are lucky ought need a hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear ScotlandDave,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent visit to Hotel du Vin. I am delighted you had a great time pairing cigars with Whisky's and being able to utilise our outdoor space.

I do hope you have the opportunity to come by again.

Regards
Crieff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Booked and overnight stay with breakfast during a visit to Edinburgh. Reception area and staff were good and the first floor room was fine although there seemed to be a lack of information on the hotel eg room service etc. We booked an early dinner as we were going to the theatre and I asked the waiter if I could have the prawn skewer from that days set menu. He initially seemed a bit hesitant but said that would be fine but would charge the cost of the prawn cocktail from the main menu which we were thereafter ordering from. This seemed acceptable until it arrived- 3 prawns on a small wooden skewer with some sauce poured over and a scattering of shredded lettuce on the side. This might have been ok if I had been ordering everything from the cheaper set menu as you expect the portions to be a bit smaller but surely if charging £7.50 for this it
wouldn't have hurt to pop on an extra skewer. I've never seen such a tiny starter in my life. No complaints about my main course but my husbands steak which he ordered well done was completely overdone and dry. He would normally have sent it back but because of our evening plans, could not have waited for another steak to be cooked. We returned to the hotel in the evening and visited the bar for a drink which had to be requested twice and eventually turned up 20 minutes later - unacceptable as the bar was not at all busy. The only other point was at breakfast. The toast was almost untoasted and cold. I ordered the brioche french toast with bacon and maple syrup which turned out to be delicious. However the portion was again tiny with one rasher of bacon. This was ridiculous in comparison to my husbands full breakfast (with 2 bacon rashers) which he found to be very nice. At £16.95 a head for breakfast, mine was sorely lacking and I left the table still feeling hungry. My daughter had joined us for breakfast and her order of scrambled egg with smoked salmon was what you would expect for that price but I certainly seemed to experience some issues with portion sizes. I'm not saying I would not stay here again but I would find definitely somewhere else to eat.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Rosyrachy
Dear Rosyrachy,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am sorry to read about your issues regarding your meal experience and this is something I have raised with my head chef who does send on his apologies. I have noted you breakfast comments and I am sorry that we failed to deliver on portion size. There indeed should be 2 rashers of bacon with the brioche french toast. I do thank you for these comments and please note that corrective action will be put in place.

Once again, please do accept my apologies and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stayed here for a birthday treat. Being a well known hotel I was expecting nothing but the best. I was however disappointed. The rooms for one are very small, the bathroom could have done with a good clean. Not to mention the noise coming from the air con/heating system! Couldn't sleep as was so loud! Opted for a full scottish breakfast and was also disappointed cold toast and the breakfast was horrible. Mushroom was burnt! How is that possible? The rest of the breakfast was horrible. The entrance to the hotel and decor in foyer very nice. Staff appeared friendly. Would definitely not return to this hotel. Stayed in 3 star hotels that have been a lot better. Expected a lot more!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Jackdavid2012
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Dear Jackdavid2012,

Thank you for taking the time to reveiw your recent stay with us in Edinburgh. I am very sorry to read about the issues you have raised and that these were not addressed during your stay. It does seem a lot out of character for our hotel and please do accept my apologies.

I will certainly raise the concerns with my housekeeper and chef to ensure we delight all our guests.

I do hope we can persuade you back to enjoy what should have been a truly memorable experience.

Best regards,