“Overpriced”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #50 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This is the second hotel du vin I have stayed in, the first being York which was very enjoyable and set a good impression of this hotel chain. However, I was not as impressed with this hotel. The hotel opened in 2008, and the reception, lobby areas and bedroom look fantastic. Unfortunately some times they are not so good if you look too closely. Our bathroom had water damage and dirty grout which was a shame. The basic rooms do not have an appealing outlook, on to a courtyard. Perhaps the suites and deluxe rooms have a better outlook. The snug downstairs where you can have drinks and snacks looked great but the fire was broken, music system broken and crumbs and sticky tables spoiled it. For the price you pay to stay here it seemed a real shame to find issues like this.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Mel,

Thank you for your review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh and I am sorry that some of the public area's let ourselves down. Unfortunately we did experience some issues with the fire and music in the Whisky Snug, something which were out of our control due to parts needed from China to rectify some of the issues. The cleanliness of the tables I have raised with our bar team as this is rather disappointing.

Once again thank you and hope to welcome you back again to Edinburgh soon.

Regards

Reviewed 12 April 2014

There was a lot I liked about this hotel and it is not hard to find things to commend. Firstly, the location is excellent being just a short stroll to the centre of the city and just yards away from the superb National Museum of Scotland. Secondly, the ambience is excellent. At every turn there is an interesting piece of furniture, picture or objet d'art and the restaurant and bar are especially atmospheric. I'm not a smoker but I like the fact they provide a "bothy" in the courtyard for those who do smoke and not treat them like pariahs implying they have to be secreted at the back of the bike shed.

Our room, we had La Grande Dame suite, was extremely pleasant. The furnishings were good, the sofa comfortable, the bed even more so. We liked the little balcony overlooking the courtyard but wonder if, in summer, it experiences a little noise drift. Other pluses included the huge walk in shower and large separate bath with quality toiletries. The Nespresso coffee maker, fresh complimentary milk in the fridge and wide range of in-room magazines was appreciated. So too were the bathrobes and the underfloor heating in the toilet. We didn't use it, but noted the ironing board and iron.

Only in a few respects were we disappointed. Lighting in the room could have been stronger, especially the bedside lamps. Annoyingly, there was no power point next to where the kettle and tea bags were kept so the kettle was moved on to the desk, and daily moved back again by housekeeping staff! The lack of coasters was an irritation as I do not like to put hot drinks on cold services and so always had to find impromptu mats. Storage space was slightly limited and I know this is a foible of mine and naturally understand why some hotels do it, but I really dislike those clothes hangers where the hanger part is permanently attached to the rail. For me the subtext is 'You're shifty - just the sort of person who steals coat hangers.' I don't. Nor towels, kettles or bed linen but you don't bother to secure these. HdV is a 5 star hotel and so expect to pay accordingly but £4 for a tub of crisps, £5 for a bottle of water from the mini bar, stretches goodwill almost to the point of annoyance. I don't know if we should have had one, but there was no folder of information in the room. Perhaps an earlier guest stole it!

We enjoyed all the meals we had in the hotel. Service was very friendly and the food delivered promptly. We can't say it was the best we've eaten but if the biggest complaint you can muster is an overcooked fried egg at breakfast then the chef must be doing most things very well.

The bottom line with any hotel is would I stay there again. I've no hesitation in saying yes but if some of my criticisms were attended to, I'd upgrade my rating from 4 stars to 5.

One final point: I booked the room some while in advance. Two weeks before our stay I noticed the price had reduced by around 30% and, in the same telephone call, HdV did not prevaricate in cancelling my original reservation and rebooking me into the same room at the lower price. Thanks.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Beauchamp,

Thank you very much for your lovely review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am delighted to read about all your positive experiences with us and certainly take on board many of the suggestions you have noted regarding hangers, coasters, minibar items etc. With regards to the lightning, this is an area I am currently reviewing to improve within the rooms.

Once again thank you for your review and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Given £50 HDV voucher for 50th birthday, decided to book Sunday night offer in a superior room. On arrival we were given an upgrade to a suite. The room was gorgeous with the roll top bath and huge walk-in shower. We couldn't fault anything staff, room and food in the bistro were first class! Will be back.

Dear Alan,

Thank you for your excellent review of Hotel du Vin. I am delighted you had a great stay made up with the surprise upgrade room. It is very welcoming to hear such positive feedback, so thank you. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Where to start!

I suppose that I will have to start with the Room! I stayed in the Veuve Chateau room. The one word I have is wow! The old style Victorian bath tub in the window of the room is just to die for, the bathroom was massive and with an incredible rainfall shower head feels like your somewhere else!

I loved the overall design of the hotel its funky and chique with a lot of character from the Cigar bothy in the courtyard to the whiskey room, to the wine tasting room.

The highlight of my stay though has to be the staff. Friendly accommodating and exceptionally knowledgeable. Special mention has to go to Kathy and Magda on the front desk who were tremendous and who nothing was too much trouble. especially when arranging flowers!

Dominick has the award for me though! Knowledge of wine and ports beyond question, he was kind enough to test a few of them on me with our desserts and cheese board and the only word is awesome just awesome he paired everything perfectly. The Raspberry souffle by the way is a must have!

Cant say enough about my stay. I will be back!

2  Thank Bantry_Dub

Dear Bantry_Dub,

Thank you very much for your delightful review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. My team and I are very thankful for your lovely comments regarding your stay and that you found them very informative on their excellent knowledge.

It is a great pleasure to read the positive feedback and we very much look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

With best regards,

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Had to re-visit Hotel du Vin in Edinburgh. Stayed in one of the suites (upgraded) Brought our dog (brilliantly catered for) and ate in the bistro which was fantastic. Wonderful selection of wine along with the suitable knowledge. Made for a great stay. Highly recommended

Dear klive,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel du Vin & Bistro Edinburgh. It is with great pleasure to read about your recent stay and that you found the facilities and services Top Notch. We do like to ensure our guest leave with a memorable experience and thank you for this.

My team and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again, in the very near future.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

We stayed for 4 nights, we had already paid to upgrade to a Superior room, but on arrival we were given a free upgrade to a suite. Hotel staff showed us to our room, and explained the history of the hotel on route. The Bistro staff were also excellent, and went out of the way to provide perfect service. We will be staying again soon.

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Melanie,

Thank you for your lovely review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro Edinburgh. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and that you found the hotel and service team excellent. We are all very proud of our little hotel and thank you again for your positive words.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the very near future.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Booked 6 rooms here as part of a wedding party, mixture of standard and superior rooms to be honest there was nothing between them, the hotel overall was nice but the lounge bar is high up open plan above the restaurant and unbearably hot, I did ask if there were fans and was told only behind the bar and during the summer months, the place is an absolute maze and because there are no room numbers only names I and several of my party found ourselves wandering up and down corridors trying to find a lift or exit, it used to be the insane asylum, and most of our party were near demented by the time we left would be much better with room numbers instead of French wine names/ regions. Parking is a big issue as the hotel entrance is just a few metres from lights and busy junction so difficult to stop and unload luggage, parking is also difficult to get to with the car because of one way system but only a short walk from the hotel suggest have the car park post code. The staff were very good and very helpful, breakfast was outstanding and overall the food was good but very slow to be served. Seemed not to be enough staff on for breakfast or evening meal, This was a good hotel for our location to the wedding venue at the museum tower, but if just visiting Edinburgh I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are much quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Elaine,

Thank you for your review of Hotel du Vin. I am sorry to read that you and your party found the hotel a little confusing to find your rooms. All our Hotel du Vins are unique in that we are different from all other hotels in using Wines/Champagnes as room names as this does add to the character of the building and rooms.

Being a City Centre hotel, like the Tower is a City Centre restaurant, there is no parking in our Old Town location. We are lucky to have a single yellow line outside the hotel to allow for our guests to load / unload luggage as this used to be a double line until recently.

Thank you for your lovely feedback on our Bistro regarding dinner and breakfast. We do believe these should be leisurely experiences and want our guests to enjoy the time to relax while dining.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I hopefully you will reconsider to using Hotel du Vin again in the near future.

Regards,