“Small but comfortable rooms”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #55 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The Edinburgh branch of this chain delivers pretty much the same 'cookie-cutter' approach as I've experienced at a couple of the other hotels; the styling is exactly the same albeit in a different location with several local references to provide a unique departure.
You approach through a little courtyard with a setting of 4 person tables which is very popular for meals and drinks through to Reception. The staff are very friendly and courteous.
I had booked the smallest type of room and it has to be said, it was the smallest du Vin room that I had stayed in however, it was very comfortable with all the usual amenities; Nespresso coffe machine, fridge (with fresh milk), safe and bathrobes. The desk was a little on the small side with little room left for much at all.
The hotel directory was being updated and a photocopied sheet explaining the fire safety procedures was left. This meant asking reception for any queries which could've been covered in the absent directory.
Although I'd mentioned the popularity of the courtyard space my room overlooked it and being on the first floor there was some noise from late night revellers.
Breakfasts are good with the option of 'country table' or for a few pounds more the cooked breakfast (but you still get use of the good selection of Dorset cereals, yoghurts, pastries, juices and fruit) with extra coffee/tea and toast offered if you run out!
Edinburgh has an abundance of hotels to offer but the Hotel du Vin, a little off the beaten track, would be worth a visit.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor looking into the Courtyard unless you're an exhibitionist and like noise...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Michael M, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear StevieB,

Thank you for taking the time to review our lovely hotel in Edinburgh. I am delighted to read you are a fan of the hotels throughout the country and that you took the opportunity to visit us.

We at Hotel du Vin do pride ourselves to ensure our guests have an excellent stay and do like to ensure our guests make the most of the available areas to enjoy. I am sorry to read you had some noise issues from guest and hope that this was a one off.

Once again, thank you for your kind words and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

An interesting conversion of an historic building that once served as an asylum, the hotel certainly has that character that you expect from a Hotel du Vin.
The hotel is well situated for access to the Royal Mile, but a bit of a climb fro Princess Street. That said, the city is quite compact so taxis aren't that expensive.
Our standard double was well fitted, but small.
Breakfast was excellent with a good choice.
Bar prices were expensive.
We paid £165/night, for B&B, which seemed a lot to us, but that may be Edinburgh prices.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear AndyBernadette,

Thank you for your positive review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am delighted to read to had a lovely stay and that you enjoyed your time in Edinburgh. Our rooms all vary in size and our best prices can be found on www.hotelduvin.com to ensure you get the best deal for future stays.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

The Location of HDV is 10 minutes walk from princes street for young and able. The route to the hotel is uphill but it's only £4.90 from Edinburgh Waverley in black cab.

The Hotel is excellent, the room we stayed in was a Spacious superior room with roll top bath and huge separate shower. They were very clean and had all the amenities you would expect.

The staff were friendly, courteous and polite. On arrival our room wasn't ready but left our luggage which was the placed in our room for us on our return. The hotel bar is relaxed, the atmosphere is nice and the staff are friendly.

We will use this hotel on our next return to Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Try and get a room closer to the bar area. The hotel is large and getting to some of the rooms is tr...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your lovely review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. I am very happy to read you enjoyed your stay with us. The hotel is a little gem and I am glad you had the opportunity to utilise the hotel facilities.

Once again thank you and I look forward to having you return in the near future.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We spent quite a while looking for a really nice Edinburgh hotel for our 1st anniversary and eventually chose a studio suite at Hotel du Vin. I would highly recommend staying here. We stayed for just one night but I wish it had been more. We arrived a few hours before check-in in the hope the room might be ready a bit early. It wasn't but they took our bags and said to try a bit closer to check-in time (3pm) as it might still be ready early. We came back around 2.45 and it wasn't quite ready yet so we sat in the courtyard for a drink. Unfortunately service seemed really slow and before we got to order a drink, someone came to tell us our room was ready. We were shown to our room and told we'd been given a complimentary upgrade to an executive suite! Our bags were waiting in the room for us. I'm not sure exactly why we were given the upgrade (it was a Saturday night too) but it was a nice bonus and more than made up for the lack of service in the courtyard. The room was amazing. Literally one of the best I've stayed in. We had a private balcony looking on to the courtyard, monsoon shower, battleship bath, great smart TV, really comfortable bed and everything was of the best quality. It was well worth the money. As many others have said, the location is also ideal. Upon check-out, I asked if we could have a bit more time and they were more than happy to allow us an extra hour. Perhaps some of these perks won't happen every time but I'd still go back with or without them. Great service overall, lovely room and well worth the money. Great hotel.

Room Tip: Book a suite.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Zak,

Thank you very much for your review on Hotel du Vin. I am delighted to read such positive feedback and that we made your 1st Anniversary weekend so special. I do apologise for the lack of service in the courtyard and this is something we have since rectified.

Once again, thank you for your kind words and I look forward to taking the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is comfortable, friendly and reasonably priced. The restaurant is very good and the bar is lively and interesting. Key Edinburgh sites are within pleasant walking distance. Parking is available, but it is off-site and several blocks away. All in all, a very good hotel choice. I would stay at Hotel du Vin again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Vaney,

Thank you for your lovely review of Hotel du Vin Edinburgh. It is very reassuring to receive feedback like yours and a pleasure to read.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back again soon in the near future.

Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

I've stayed in Edinburgh a lot and try to switch hotels every so often. HdV is a lovely hideaway right in the centre of Edinburgh (and incredibly located for Fringe!).

The rooms vary hugely so can be a bit hit or miss. I've read another review on TA which complained of quite a dark room - something I have experienced myself to a certain extent - but most are wonderful. My particular favourite has a bath tub essentially in the middle of the room!

The food is delicious and the little courtyard a lovely place to sit and relax. I don't think this is the best hotel in Edinburgh but it's definitely one of those with the most character.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank spannavision

Dear spannavision,

Thank you for your review of Hotel du Vin. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel perfect for your needs. The hotel is indeed a great little hideaway and unique on many aspects.

I look forward to having you return here soon.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Enjoyed a lovely 2 night stay here and found all staff very friendly and helpful, food very good but disappointed both mornings when told that the smoked haddock was sold out and this at half 9 plus for sides cauliflower cheese sold out at half 7 on a Saturday night. Saying that the onion soup is superb not tasted one so good as when had lunch small street cafe in Paris ,fabulous. The room was lovely and got an upgrade to a studio room, great size.
Will defo be back though and think will preorder the smoked haddock well in advance

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Wendy,

Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely review of Hotel du Vin. I am delighted you read you had a great stay and I can only apologise for some of the food items being unavailable on breakfast and during items. We did experience some issues with our fish deliveries hence the issue at breakfast. I can confirm this has all been resolved and should be ready for your return visit.

I look forward to welcoming you back and thank you once again.