“Great Hidden Gem”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Ranked #58 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 21 February 2010

Stayed at Hotel du Vin, Edinburgh with my partner on my birthday. We were given a complemetary upgrade - great start. We stayed in the Bodaga room which was lovely and cosy with a roll top bath in the main room and a huge monsoon shower. Contempory in decor.
We found the staff all very attentive and friendly which added to the enjoyment of the stay. The bartenders could not be more helpful making cocktails which were not on the list and giving my partner a master class in Whisky.
Breakfast in the morning was very good. I can recommend the eggs benedict.
Over all a great stay and very good value.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,113)

Reviewed 20 February 2010

We stayed here for our wedding anniversary just before Xmas and were completely blown away by this hotel.

It was an all in one package (dinner, bed and breakfast) and we can't fault anything for the whole time we were there...apart from an absolute nightmare experience checking out.

Firstly, the room was very big, with a free standing bath in the living room and a huge monsoon shower. The bed was big and very comfortable and the room itself was very well decorated and in very good condition all round.

Dinner in the bistro was faultless, and the breakfast was very good in the morning (although the buffet selection was slightly limited). The staff were pleasant and non-obtrusive throughout.

Unfortunately, we were extremely let down by checking out when the girl on reception got our bill wrong 3 times before finally getting it right. Even though we had booked the package, we still got charged for dinner which we couldn't understand. Her attempts at trying to get the bill right and understand us were laughable, and then didn't even have the decency to knock anything off for her incompetence.

Although frustrating, we cannot hold this against the stay as it's an amazing place and definitely outrates the Malmaison we stayed at recently.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2010

This is a review of the restaurant only. This restaurant has one of the most unusual menus I've come across in Edinburgh, which required us asking a few questions of the waitress who was very happy to explain all. I had scallops on a bed of ministrone sauce to start which was full of flavour and the scallops were beautifully cooked. Main was ham hock which has a crispy honey glaze and was accompanied by a slice of sweetcorn quiche and dandelion and burdock sauce - delicious! The presentation of all our dishes was first rate, and nothing disappointed. Other than we didn't have room for pud! Ambience laid back and cosy with a french bistro feel. The bar upstairs was a bit spartan in seating but the long cocktail list made up for that! Can't wait to go back and work my way further through the menu.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 December 2009

Stayed here on a Staurday night and have to say how disappointed we were with the room which for nearly £200 was small, noisy and more than a bit below what we expect for a so called boutique hotel. The plumbing was very noisy too. Save your money and go elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jazzo2
Reviewed 12 December 2009

Stayed here on business.
Over the week I stayed in both delux and standard rooms. If you want to work at the desk, you need the delux rooms which are excellent - very spacious, standard as an inadequate workspace.
Lighting is good for romance seeking couples but pretty lousy if you want to read papers for work or sit on your laptop. I've stayed in many hotels in Edinburgh, if I was returning for a weekend with my wife, I'd definately choose this one. If I need to work, probably opt for a hotel with rooms better suited to work, and closer to Princes Street.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 December 2009

Most people reading this will know the standards that one has come to expect at Du Vin hotels. They set their prices high (some might say too high) but with that has always gone exceptionally well appointed hotels with a high degree of comfort and style together with good service. This hotel ticks all those boxes and particularly as it is fairly new. You have to accept that with the premises that Du Vin opts for there can be some drawbacks and often it is the bedroom size. One of my colleagues who had paid over £150 room only on this visit had a room the size of a proverbial shoebox and when trying to change it couldn't and was told that this was typical of the 'standard room' - ouch.
Add to the cost of a room, breakfast and a bar tarrif that will set you back over £6 for a whisky or brandy (at least) and you will know that a stay here will not be cheap. There are some quirks with Du Vin baths that are not designed for comfort. Even the standard ones are very deep and the backs are at an angle which means lying back and relaxing is not easy. In my room they had one of those ludicrous (though some people love them) monsoon showers - hugely wasteful of water and the bath was unable to empty the waste at the same rate so consequently you soon are knee deep in water. Have a bath and the plug leaks and so the water drains away - ah well.
Now comes my major niggle with Du Vin. I believe that there has been an unacceptable affect on customer comforts by Malmaison who own the brand, flexing their muscle. As an example a hotel of this quality should provide fresh milk in a carton in the fridge and also a bottle of water (yes free). Instead you get ridiculous little tubes of milk and not many of them. Much lesser hotels provide a biscuit as well - not here. In fact the wide choice of snacks and biscuits, all chargeable mind, that used to be in the rooms has gone My suggestion is everyone ask reception/chamber maid for more then they will get fed up and provide more. I would prefer some instant coffee but that is a personal touch.
The DuVin still welcomes smokers and has forked out some £30,000 on a "cigar shack" which is more comfortable than many hotels I have been in. Due to local licensing laws however, you cannot drink alcohol outside after 10pm so have your brandy inside and then rush outside for your cigar - crazy or what? I guess though not Du Vin's fault.
Don't rely on a restaurant recommendation from reception - the one we got was dire. I know they want you to dine in the hotel but in a city like Edinburgh, when you are there for 4 nights, you want a change.
I do hope that the brand is not on the slide due to it no longer being owned by a smaller group. Let's hope that the corporate bean counters don't ruin it.
All in all apart from the negatives, I doubt you'll be disappointed here.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 November 2009

Booked this hotel as I like the atmosphere and quality of HdV. The hotel is obviously new with small but comfortable rooms and a good bistro. It is about a 15 minute walk from Princes street

Unfortunately there is one major problem - noise. The hotel is located next to one of the main routes from the city centre and is only a few hundred metres from the University. The bedroom overlooked the main road which resulted in disturbed/no sleep between 1am and 3am on both nights. You will not need an alarm clock as the noise from the traffic will wake you by 7am.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends