Princes Street Suites
US$336
US$215
US$107
  • Pool
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$93
  • Restaurant
Murrayfield Hotel and House(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$122
US$119
US$111
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsroof terracebedroom apartmenttrain stationgreat locationthese apartmentsthree bedroomprinces streetthe penthousefull kitchenwasher dryerwell equipped kitchendining tableliving spacefloor to ceiling windowscalton hillself cateringwaterloo place
Reviewed 30 May 2013

After reading all the positive reviews on trip advisor I was left feeling somewhat disappointed with the one bedroom suite that myself and my boyfriend we were given (no. 3 on minus 3). The room (in the building) was some distance from, well, anywhere, which at first I thought would be a good thing as the noise would be minimal, but it felt that being that distance away was a negative as our suite felt neglected, far from the 'luxury' apartment which their website prides themselves on. There were a number of things on arrival which I noted weren't right, nothing major, but these were things that are easily fixable if the staff could have taken time to do so and would have given a bit more of a feeling of 'luxury':

- There was no lampshade on one of the lamps in the bedroom (so easily to burn your hand if not careful)
- The small mirror lamp in the bathroom was not working
- A second light in the bathroom above the shower was not working
- The rug in the living area was rolled up at 2 corners posing a trip hazard, it looked like it had previously been stuck down with double sided tape, but had come up again
- The headboard was not properly fixed and would tilt forwards and backwards
- The towel peg on the back of the bathroom door was loose and would spin so was hard to leave a towel hung up there
- There was only one glass in the bathroom, the second glass which should have been there wasn't because the glass holder which was fixed to the wall was also loose and so wouldn't hold a glass
- One of the bedroom blinds kept making a clicking sound and sounded like it was about to break when you tried to raise the blind more than halfway up (I was somewhat reluctant to use this in case it did break and we were charged)
- The windows were filthy (not that this really affected the view, as we were on the -3 floor and had a view over office blocks, Calton Road and the train station)
- There were stains over the carpet
- Only one cushion on the bed, the photos on the website show two, one for each person I would expect.

The suites also claim that you can "entertain socially" because they provide crockery, cutlery and glassware, however this would be hard as we didn't even have enough glassware for the two of us, with only one drinking glass in the kitchen. I was under the impression, from 'entertain socially" that there might be a larger selection of kitchenware so that you could entertain up to about 4 people.

Also falsely advertised on the website, was the bathrobes, which did not feature in our apartment and the Gilchrist & Soames bathroom amenities, which I can only assume were filled inside the Pecksniff's bottles which we were provided. I digress...

The reason we came to Edinburgh was to run the EMF half marathon, so on the Saturday night planned an early night to get a good sleep. Now, I appreciate that being in the city centre there would be some noise, however I was not best pleased when I found it very hard to sleep. I guess that being situated on level -3 didn't help as we were very close to the road, but the clinking of drinks bottles when the bars were emptying their bins, the sound of the train station, cars and even people chatting on their way past our window made a noisy nights sleep. It was also very easy to see into our apartment from the street, or offices, so there wasn't much privacy. Yes, we could pull the blinds, but in the daytime this took away all the natural light as there were no other windows.

The last thing, and probably by biggest annoyance was when I tried to have a bath. I ran the hot tap first and noticed that the bath water contained lots of black dirt. To check that I wasn't going mad, I filled a glass up and the black dirt was still there. Thankfully this wasn't the case from the shower head, otherwise myself and my boyfriend would have actually been having showers with dirty water!

On the plus side, the apartments were very, very spacious and the staff were helpful, informative and friendly. As for the location, I couldn't have asked for something more centrally located.

As the purpose of this website is to inform people of what they could expect if they stay here, I felt my judgement warranted. I don't often leave negative reviews and I know that many people might find this review petty with the minor niggles that I mentioned. Now, if there were just one or two, I would have overlooked this and would have happily given a better review.

However, after having spent hours trawling the internet to find the perfect place which met our requirements, somewhere where we paid a reasonable amount of money to stay, to find somewhere which claims to be luxury, I was hoping to be rewarded with a "niggle free" stay. What is more, after I arrived to all these small problems, I read ALL the reviews on here. Ironically, it appears that every time someone mentions room 3 on minus 3, they leave a negative review. Perhaps this is a room which the management need to look more closely at in order to prevent people leaving negative reviews about. I'm no hotel manager, but I do see a common trend.

As for returning, if I was to come to Edinburgh again I might consider the PSS, providing that I wasn't on any of the minus floors, the apartment was made suitable for 2 people and that the hot water from the tap was clean. I hope that people reading this review won't be put off staying at the PSS because it sounds like all the other rooms are fine, it was just our one which needs a bit more TLC.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 3 on minus 3 at all costs!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
PSSteam, General Manager at Princes Street Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a lengthily review on your recent stay at Princes Street Suites . Your comments are very important for us . We take feedback, good or bad, very seriously as it helps us to improve the services we offer . I was disappointed to read that you have experienced some problems while staying with us and all the maintenance problems have been addressed with our maintenance manager. We check all our apartments every day and I realize that some of the issues mentioned should have been spotted and rectified before your stay. I will certainly investigate further . I am glad to read that you are still interested in staying with us again- If you do, please contact me directly, and I will make sure that you are well looked after . Hope you have a lovely sunny weekend - Best regards - Sandrine

Reviewed 29 May 2013

We stayed at the Princess Street Suites for two nights over the Bank Holiday weekend, we were in Edinburgh for the EMF, the Suites were ideally located, only a short walk from the Edinburgh Waverely Railway Station. We stayed in a one bedroom apartment that was on level -3, the apartment was clean, spacious and well equipped, although slightly dark during daylight hours due to surrounding buildings, there was no view to speak of, again due to the low level of the apartment.
We spent very little time in the apartment during the day so it's lowly position and poor outlook was not a major issue, if I was staying longer, then I would have been looking at an apartment on one of the upper floors.
There is a fantastic roof terrace that has fantastic views from where to watch the sunset.
I would have no reservations about returning to the Princess Street Suites, staff were friendly and helpful, the location is great and apartment facilities of a good standard, I would however having visited once prefer an apartment on a higher level, a minor point, that did not affect our enjoyment.

Room Tip: Upper floor apartment have better outlook
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hogie1

Thank you very much for your lovely comments on your recent stay at Princes Street Suites. We are ideally located for the Edinburgh Marathon indeed , with the starting point being just a few minutes walk from the suites . I hope you were happy with your performance during the Marathon? It was a lovely day and the sun was shining if I remember well, always a bonus ! With regards to your comments on the view, our building has 7 floors and being a city centre location, we are not able to guarantee what the view is going to be from your apartment. We hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you again soon, maybe next year for the Marathon again ? Very best wishes and happy running ! Sandrine

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Been to Edinburgh a few times, but this is one of the best places I have stayed. Rally good location, very spacious, and loved the roof top terrace. The 6 of us really enjoyed the stay. If you are going with a group stay here, probably a bit pricey for just the two of you.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Many thanks for writing such a lovely review on Trip Advisor. Always nice to hear that we were the best place to stay in Edinburgh ! We have a great selection of 1 , 2 and 3 bedroom apartments, with the 2 and 3 bedroom ones being ideal for small friends and family gathering . We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Princes Street Suites - Best regards - Sandrine

Reviewed 24 May 2013

The staff is very friendly, polite and helpful. We booked a two-bedroom apartment. When we check-in, the receptionist wanted to have the name of the guests. We wrote down five names. Surprisingly, upon check-in, the receptionist brought the additional bed sheet, pillow, etc for the fifth person.This is very thoughtful of them.
The apartment is very close to the waverly train station. The rooms are clean and equipped with complete kitchen facilities, washing machine, etc. One setback is there is only one toilet.
The rate is reasonable for a service apartment.We would come back if we visit Edinburgh again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your great comments on our facilities and on our team. Our team members are very highly praised indeed and receive regular comments from our guests . They are a credit to Princes Street Suites , and it always gives me great pleasure to share our guests' comments with them. So thank you . I hope we will soon have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Princes Street Suites - Best wishes - Sandrine

Reviewed 24 May 2013

We were 5 friends who stayed 2 nights at this place. We were very impressed, even after reading the great reviews on tripadvisor. The location is exceptionally central in Edinburgh. This is NOT a hotel, rather a serviced apartment, with tons of space, large kitchen with all the appliances you would like, huge bedrooms, spacious bathrooms and huge living room with modern and clean furniture. Should you need a comfortable and modern apartment in the heart of Edinburgh. The staff is kind and helpful. The price is reasonable for what you get. This is place I would definitely come back to, should we ever consider a family trip to Edinburgh.

Room Tip: We lived on the ground floor, but were not bothered with any noise from the street.
1  Thank GeorgeDenmark

Many thanks for your lovely review. I am glad that your party enjoyed your stay with us. Our location is hard to beat indeed . Princes Street and its shops is only 1 minute walk, and the old Town with the Castle, pubs and traditional Scottish shops only a few minutes stroll . We look forward to seeing you back at Princes Street Suites . Kind regards - Sandrine