“Excellent location and comfortable”

Princes Street Suites
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent location and comfortable”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Was surprised as first impression was very good. Then u find the snags. However the overall experience was that the apartment was comfortable and clean. It was large and easy to move around . The kitchen was well equipped, and it was good to be able to cook some nights.
Beds were comfortable and clean.

The location is excellent. It is at the start of Princes near the station , gardens, restaurants, shops, the Royal Mile, Is a short walk and Edinburgh is easy to walk around. There's a grocery store opposite which was reasonably priced and had everything as well as friendly owners.

We also used the spa . The staff were really friendly , however the cost for the massage felt a bit expensive for the surroundings.

The wi if did not work in the rooms . We were told it was supposed to be upgraded but had not happened by the time we left. This was frustrating as could not work in the evening as expected to .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Sandrine C, General Manager at Princes Street Suites, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at Princes Street Suites . It is a pleasure for us to hear that you have enjoyed the overall experience even though you were slightly frustrated by our slow WIFI system. As you know , we are working on the moment and are waiting for the work to be completed with much anticipation. We look forward to welcoming you back to Princes Street Suites - Best regards - Sandrine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Greek first
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Wow, what can I say? I paid £90 a night for this accommodation and it was well worth every penny. I was given a two bedroom apartment with Kitchen, lounge area and bathroom all linked by a nice size hallway. The apartment was spotless, Located just at the far end of Princess Street in close proximity to all the local attractions. Excellent transport links from the train station. The views at the rear of the complex are limited and some give you a view of a side of a building, but otherwise this was tremendous value. Would defiantly recommend this to a friend and will be staying their again.

Room Tip: Try and get a castle view room
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your lovely review . We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us, with a special mention for the location and the size of the apartments . Our Penthouse situated on the top floor has amazing views indeed of the Old Town , Arthur Seat and Edinburgh Castle . If however you decide to stay in another apartment within our complex, then our Roof Terrace is available for all our guests to enjoy , and the views from there are simply breath-taking . We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Princes Street Suites in a not too distant future . Best regards - Sandrine
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We spent 4 nights in Princes Street Suites, and overall it was a good experience. When checking in, I was happy to sign an agreement stating that noise after 10:00 pm could result in a fine and removal from the hotel, so I looked forward to quiet nights. We had a 2 bedroom suite on the third floor, and the group in the suite next door started partying throughout the day of our second day, both in their suite and in the hallway outside the room doors. Things got louder throughout the day (I remained in the room all day fighting a cold) and I waited until 10:00 that night for things to quiet down. They didn't. I called the front desk shortly after 10:00 asking them to speak to the group in the next suite. Someone from the front desk came up and asked the group to quiet down. They didn't. I called again after 11:00 pm and again, someone from the front desk come up and asked them to quite down. Things calmed down for a little while, then around 3:30 in the morning, things got very loud. I called the front desk again and said if they didn't call the police, I would. Finally the police arrived and the party broke up, but not without lots of angry shouting at the police and very loud door slamming and banging on the walls both inside the other suite and out in the hallway.

Given the written agreement I signed, (and I assume all other guests sign) I would have expected the management of Princes Street Suites to have acted more proactively in ensuring the noise level was moderated. I believe had I not called down about the noise throughout the night, nothing would have been done. I realize this was an isolated incident, and had this party not occurred, our stay would have been quite lovely, but I feel the management of the Princes Street Suites did not handle this appropriately. It took three calls from a guest who was just trying to get some sleep before this was resolved.

Would I stay there again? I'm not sure. The location was great and all other aspects of our stay we're fine, but I would encourage the management to enforce their own rules regarding noise levels. Why have guests sign an agreement indicating fines and eviction if noise levels get out of hand, if they are not prepared to enforce them?

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kathryn A
Sandrine C, General Manager at Princes Street Suites, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at Princes Street Suites. I am delighted that you have enjoyed the overall experience but was sorry to read about the noise issue . I can fully understand that it must have been very upsetting and would like to apologise for the inconvenience this may have caused . I would like to be able to come back to you personally on this matter and would like to invite you to contact me on gm@princesstreetuites.co.uk in order to discuss the matter further. I look forward to hearing from you. Best regards- Sandrine
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 6 July 2014

As reported below, the location is excellent. The suites are spacious and well divided in sitting area, kitchen, bedroom and a (smallish) bathroom. Beds are narrow, however, queen size at best. The sofa was shot and needed replacement. The curtains did not block put the outside light.

The hotel is shamed, however, by the discrepancy between the five star comfort image that is projected on the website and the poor level of service provided in reality.

A friendly email request prior to arrival about the possibility of having a room on one of the higher floors was never answered (not even a small message to say that this could not be guaranteed). We ended up at level -2.

Toilet flushing noises could continuously be heard in the bedroom (I assume the sewer pipes passed somewhere hidden behind the ceiling or wall) - to the point of actually waking you up.

The DVD-remote control had no batteries in it. When asking the evening porter to replace the batteries, the only answer to be gotten was 'I fully understand your problem but there is nothing I can do, maintenance will have to go and buy new batteries tomorrow and replace them.' The batteries were never replaced over the following three days, not even when the remote was left open on the table.

I could not buy a can of Coca Cola and put it on my room bill because 'credit card details had not been provided' (they had, during reservation). When citing the required numbers and codes by heart, the answer was 'Sorry , you need to go to your room and get the card, I need to see the card'.

Upon collecting our bags from the storage room when leaving we asked whether we could use a bathroom before fetching the taxi. 'Sorry, that is not the kind of service we provide, we are not a hotel.' There you are, just having spent several hundred of euros per night for your suite.

As noted below, the wifi connection in the apartment is useless - there simply was no way to connect to the internet, despite trying for hours. A visit to any coffee place provided us with perfectly smooth wifi, however. And guess what: for the price of a coffee, we even got to use the bathroom there.

I would not come back here and cannot recommend this accommodation to others.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank wimbrussel
Many thanks for taking the time to write a detailed review on your recent experience at Princes Street Suites. I am delighted that you thought that the location was perfect for your stay in Edinburgh. However I am disappointed to hear that you have experienced some issues during your stay . I hope you will accept my invitation to discuss the matter privately either by phone or by email on gm@princesstreetsuites.co.uk . I also would like to take this opportunity to inform you and other guests reading the review that we are currently in the process of upgrading our WIFI system and the work should be completed within the next few weeks .Once again thank you for your feedback and I look forward to hopefully hearing from you very soon. Best regards- Sandrine
San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Incredibly well located with rooms to back with great views of bridge and Castle Can even walk from train station near by Want rooms on 3 rd floor or higher
We were family of 8 so very helpful to have full kitchen and large table
NEVER could in 3 DAYS get on line despite what they CLAIMED re free WI FI get on line

Other negative is that we kept having to ask daily for added towels .only set up for party of 3 yet we were 8
Bought our own small ice cube trays as very small refrigerator and no ice ..Asks unusually warm you wanted cold drinks
staff were all foreign. But spoke good English

Room Tip: Get apartment on second floor or higher and at the back so can have view of bridge and Castle Ask...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Evy S
Many thanks for your feedback on your recent stay with us . Our apartments are ideal indeed for friends or family gatherings . Our three-bedroom apartments are some of the largest serviced apartments in the city and can accommodate up to 8 people . I am sorry you have experienced issues with the WIFI . We operate such a busy place and the system have become saturated . However the good news is that it is currently being upgraded and we will soon be able to offer a first class WIFI connection and facility to our guests . We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon to Princes Street Suites - Best regards - Sandrine
atlanta, ga
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

It was nice to have some room to spread out when we left London and arrived in Edinburgh. These apartments are a block from the train station which is convenient, but be warned, there will be some noise especially in the summer when you will need to have the windows open. The apartment is well equipped with a full kitchen and washer/dryer. There are nice views and a cool graveyard on one side of the building. Reasonably priced. Nothing fancy.

Sandrine C, General Manager at Princes Street Suites, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Many thanks for your lovely review and delighted that you have enjoyed staying with us . Thank you also for your comments regarding the Wifi. You will be pleased to learn that we have started a WIFI programme upgrade and it should be completed within the next few weeks , Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused and we look forward to welcoming you back to Princes Street Suites . Best regards- Sandrine
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Superb location, friendly staff and nice and quiet. Have stayed here twice now and would return. Spacious and comfortable. Handy for train station and all the city centre has to offer.
Clean, modern decor.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Sandrine C, General Manager at Princes Street Suites, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Many thanks for your great comments about your recent stay at Princes Street Suites. The location and the size of the apartments always rate very highly with our guests. We look forward to welcoming you again to Princes Street Suites . There is always a good excuse to come back to Edinburgh and Princes Street Suites . With the gorgeous weather we have been having lately, the roof terrace is the best place in town to enjoy the sun and take the sights.... Best regards- Sandrine