“Great location”

Princes Street Suites
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Spent 1 week here in beginning of July in a 1 bedroom apartment. Had no problems in finding the suites. Took the tram from Edinburgh Airport to St Andrews Square and then walked for about 5-6 mins. Of course I had checked a map before I went so I knew where they were located. Apartment was nice and quite spacious for 1 person. I really like this kind of accommodation due to the fact that I travel on my own and it feels more comfy than an ordinary hotel. I can - if I like - do my own cooking etc.

Kitchen was good but there was only 1 small pan in the kitchen cupboards. Not much to go by if you want to cook something! I asked reception for a frying pan and got one delivered to the room just moments later. Since I mostly used the microwave the lack of kitchen equipment didn't bother me that much but I hope this isn't the usual standard of the apartments. When I arrived the tv wasn't plugged and they had to get a wire/cable from somewhere else. TV in bedroom did not work - no signal.

Bedroom was ok but I found the bed a little bit to hard. The biggest problem though was the pillows. They were awful! They were just like a couple of flat padded blankets and not comfortable at all. Not the kind of pillows I'd expect to find in an establishment of this standard. Both bathrooms were nice.

And as so many others have mentiones - the wifi was a real laugh! Extremely slow / bad. I hope the mentioned upgrade will fix this.

All in all I liked the suites and will probably stay again if I go back to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ninam S
PSSteam, Manager at Princes Street Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Ninam,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write review on your recent stay at Princes Street Suites.
I'm delighted to hear that you enjoy your stay and you would like to stay with us again.
I was sorry to read however you experience some issues during your stay. All your points have been noted and passed to the relevant departments.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Princes Street Suites - Best regards - Ania

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night in June. Easy to find as I had made sure I checked the map beforehand but even if I hadn't, would not have been difficult to fine. Great location and quick check in.

Stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment with balcony. Apartment was clean, bright and spacious which was great. Balcony was okay but the view looked out onto the side of another building which was disappointing but could not be helped. Rooftop terrace has a great view but could really do with some maintaining in terms of litter. Several empty beer bottles were left on the table and the other side of the railings dozens of cigarettes ends could be seen. Wifi in rooms was impossible to connect to and I know there's an upgrade due so hopefully this will solve the issue.

My main conplaint however, is that I accidentally left my phone charger plugged into a socket in the room after checkout. Called hotel as soon as I got home and was told that the cleaners would check in the morning and I'd get a call to let me know whether the found it or not. Waited a while the next day for a call which I did not receive so had to call back myself. Was told no charger was found by the cleaners but they did have an iPhone charger in lost property I could have. Thinking it strange it hadnt been found, I told the female on the phone exactly which plug socket and in which bedroom to find it and it was behind drawers and therefore maybe missed by the cleaner. At this stage, the female on the phone was clearly no longer listening. Had told them my mum was going to be in Edinburgh in a few weeks time and would pop in to pick it up which she did. However, the receptionist when my mum went to pick it up said they did not have my charger (or the one they claimed I could have). I can only assume therefore it had been stolen by new guests or worse. I guess it's possible that it's STILL where I left it despite telling staff more than once where to exactly to look. My fault for leaving it behind but would expected to at least get it back. I'm just lucky it wasn't something of huge expense.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank uberwoman

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at Princes Street Suites . It is a pleasure for us to hear that you have liked great location and your apartment, but disappointed to hear that you have experienced problems while at Princes Street Suites . Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this may cause. Your comments have been noted and passed on to the maintenance and housekeeping departments.
In regards to missing phone charger please contact me directly on revenue@princesstreetsuites.co.uk to discouss the matter with you at your earliest convenience.
Kindest Regards
Ania Wozniak

Reviewed 8 July 2014

These are quite hard to find, tucked away in what looks like an office block so I rang reception to get directions but they hung up on me before I could finish my enquiry. A local showed me where the place was and I went to reception to be acknowledged by a surly youth who was clearly the one who’d cut me off on the phone. He was as disinterested as it was possible to be. The reception is a strange affair with the staff on a sort of platform towering above you. I’m six two and could barely put my elbows on the reception desk. I wondered if I’d done something to offend the reception staff but they were just rude, bored and devoid of all customer care skills.
The suite was lovely with a huge open plan living/dining room/kitchen. Very clean and nicely decorated in a minimalist style. I’m afraid I wouldn’t come back though, or recommend the place because of the rudeness of the staff.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank dumelarra
Sandrine C, General Manager at Princes Street Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Many thanks for your feedback that I have read with most attention . I am delighted that the apartment and the facilities met with your expectations but was sorry to hear about the poor customer service you did experience . I take those comments very seriously and am really disappointed to hear that we have fallen short on that front. We pride ourselves in delivering excellent customer service and it is obvious that on that occasion we have not . I will pick this up with the team, and in the meantime, hope that you will accept our apologies . Please feel free to contact me directly on gm@princesstreetsuites.co.uk to discuss further - Best regards- Sandrine

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Was surprised as first impression was very good. Then u find the snags. However the overall experience was that the apartment was comfortable and clean. It was large and easy to move around . The kitchen was well equipped, and it was good to be able to cook some nights.
Beds were comfortable and clean.

The location is excellent. It is at the start of Princes near the station , gardens, restaurants, shops, the Royal Mile, Is a short walk and Edinburgh is easy to walk around. There's a grocery store opposite which was reasonably priced and had everything as well as friendly owners.

We also used the spa . The staff were really friendly , however the cost for the massage felt a bit expensive for the surroundings.

The wi if did not work in the rooms . We were told it was supposed to be upgraded but had not happened by the time we left. This was frustrating as could not work in the evening as expected to .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Sandrine C, General Manager at Princes Street Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at Princes Street Suites . It is a pleasure for us to hear that you have enjoyed the overall experience even though you were slightly frustrated by our slow WIFI system. As you know , we are working on the moment and are waiting for the work to be completed with much anticipation. We look forward to welcoming you back to Princes Street Suites - Best regards - Sandrine

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Wow, what can I say? I paid £90 a night for this accommodation and it was well worth every penny. I was given a two bedroom apartment with Kitchen, lounge area and bathroom all linked by a nice size hallway. The apartment was spotless, Located just at the far end of Princess Street in close proximity to all the local attractions. Excellent transport links from the train station. The views at the rear of the complex are limited and some give you a view of a side of a building, but otherwise this was tremendous value. Would defiantly recommend this to a friend and will be staying their again.

Room Tip: Try and get a castle view room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your lovely review . We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us, with a special mention for the location and the size of the apartments . Our Penthouse situated on the top floor has amazing views indeed of the Old Town , Arthur Seat and Edinburgh Castle . If however you decide to stay in another apartment within our complex, then our Roof Terrace is available for all our guests to enjoy , and the views from there are simply breath-taking . We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Princes Street Suites in a not too distant future . Best regards - Sandrine

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We spent 4 nights in Princes Street Suites, and overall it was a good experience. When checking in, I was happy to sign an agreement stating that noise after 10:00 pm could result in a fine and removal from the hotel, so I looked forward to quiet nights. We had a 2 bedroom suite on the third floor, and the group in the suite next door started partying throughout the day of our second day, both in their suite and in the hallway outside the room doors. Things got louder throughout the day (I remained in the room all day fighting a cold) and I waited until 10:00 that night for things to quiet down. They didn't. I called the front desk shortly after 10:00 asking them to speak to the group in the next suite. Someone from the front desk came up and asked the group to quiet down. They didn't. I called again after 11:00 pm and again, someone from the front desk come up and asked them to quite down. Things calmed down for a little while, then around 3:30 in the morning, things got very loud. I called the front desk again and said if they didn't call the police, I would. Finally the police arrived and the party broke up, but not without lots of angry shouting at the police and very loud door slamming and banging on the walls both inside the other suite and out in the hallway.

Given the written agreement I signed, (and I assume all other guests sign) I would have expected the management of Princes Street Suites to have acted more proactively in ensuring the noise level was moderated. I believe had I not called down about the noise throughout the night, nothing would have been done. I realize this was an isolated incident, and had this party not occurred, our stay would have been quite lovely, but I feel the management of the Princes Street Suites did not handle this appropriately. It took three calls from a guest who was just trying to get some sleep before this was resolved.

Would I stay there again? I'm not sure. The location was great and all other aspects of our stay we're fine, but I would encourage the management to enforce their own rules regarding noise levels. Why have guests sign an agreement indicating fines and eviction if noise levels get out of hand, if they are not prepared to enforce them?

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kathryn A
Sandrine C, General Manager at Princes Street Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at Princes Street Suites. I am delighted that you have enjoyed the overall experience but was sorry to read about the noise issue . I can fully understand that it must have been very upsetting and would like to apologise for the inconvenience this may have caused . I would like to be able to come back to you personally on this matter and would like to invite you to contact me on gm@princesstreetuites.co.uk in order to discuss the matter further. I look forward to hearing from you. Best regards- Sandrine

Reviewed 6 July 2014

As reported below, the location is excellent. The suites are spacious and well divided in sitting area, kitchen, bedroom and a (smallish) bathroom. Beds are narrow, however, queen size at best. The sofa was shot and needed replacement. The curtains did not block put the outside light.

The hotel is shamed, however, by the discrepancy between the five star comfort image that is projected on the website and the poor level of service provided in reality.

A friendly email request prior to arrival about the possibility of having a room on one of the higher floors was never answered (not even a small message to say that this could not be guaranteed). We ended up at level -2.

Toilet flushing noises could continuously be heard in the bedroom (I assume the sewer pipes passed somewhere hidden behind the ceiling or wall) - to the point of actually waking you up.

The DVD-remote control had no batteries in it. When asking the evening porter to replace the batteries, the only answer to be gotten was 'I fully understand your problem but there is nothing I can do, maintenance will have to go and buy new batteries tomorrow and replace them.' The batteries were never replaced over the following three days, not even when the remote was left open on the table.

I could not buy a can of Coca Cola and put it on my room bill because 'credit card details had not been provided' (they had, during reservation). When citing the required numbers and codes by heart, the answer was 'Sorry , you need to go to your room and get the card, I need to see the card'.

Upon collecting our bags from the storage room when leaving we asked whether we could use a bathroom before fetching the taxi. 'Sorry, that is not the kind of service we provide, we are not a hotel.' There you are, just having spent several hundred of euros per night for your suite.

As noted below, the wifi connection in the apartment is useless - there simply was no way to connect to the internet, despite trying for hours. A visit to any coffee place provided us with perfectly smooth wifi, however. And guess what: for the price of a coffee, we even got to use the bathroom there.

I would not come back here and cannot recommend this accommodation to others.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank wimbrussel

Many thanks for taking the time to write a detailed review on your recent experience at Princes Street Suites. I am delighted that you thought that the location was perfect for your stay in Edinburgh. However I am disappointed to hear that you have experienced some issues during your stay . I hope you will accept my invitation to discuss the matter privately either by phone or by email on gm@princesstreetsuites.co.uk . I also would like to take this opportunity to inform you and other guests reading the review that we are currently in the process of upgrading our WIFI system and the work should be completed within the next few weeks .Once again thank you for your feedback and I look forward to hopefully hearing from you very soon. Best regards- Sandrine