Open today: 09:00 - 17:00
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

All reviews jk rowling sorting hat fun facts his knowledge all ages scottish history inspiration life stories
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Absolutely brilliant tour. I booked it as a treat for my children and we weren't disappointed. Sam was excellent (thanks for the treats buddy), a knowledge guy that clearly loves what he does.

Not only a great tour for Harry Potter fans, but a unique opportunity to explore Edinburgh and find out more about this amazing place.

Highly recommended, as long as you're up for a lot of walking!

Sam S, Lesser Mugwump at The Potter Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 6 days ago

Thanks so much Dimitris, I really appreciate you taking the time to write such a long, clear, cheerful review.

It is a long walk, we need some dark wizard classes so we can fly around it. :)

Best wishes
Sam

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Amazing! Sam came out to meet me even though I was the only one booked, which I didn't realise until the day but really appreciated - I'm sure lots of other tours wouldn't have done the same. I grew up with HP and while I do consider myself a fan Sam really knows his HP lore! I found the tour highly illuminating, especially learning about how Edinburgh and JK's lived life leaked it's way into her work. A great mix of Scottish history, biography, and fandom! Highly recommended.

Sam S, Lesser Mugwump at The Potter Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Ah thanks so much Mel, I'm pleased you thought it worth it, it was like -2 degrees eh?! I watched Tom Felton's documentary Superfan last night, really very touching for a documentary. I got a bit jealous of the cosplay folk because they have a better Bellatrix wig than mine! Ach.

May your wanderings lead you to pleasant pastures and lots and lots of butterbeer.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Me and my children, 11 and 12. Went with Sam on a awsome tour. It was full of facts, history and real talk about J.K. Rowling's past and how it all went and happend. We walked around the city, beautifull narrow street's, and short cut's and areas that I would have never seen if I woulden have went with Sam.
Thank you so much, personal and lovely tour.
(My son is hard to please, he dosen't like walking but he really liked this).

Thanks so much for your kind review Tinna,

May your wand never splinter and your ghoul seldom groan

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Sam surpassed our expectations, delivering a fabulous Harry Potter tour! He was a cauldron of information and pulled surprises out of his knapsack to surprise and entertain. As a writer I appreciated his knowledge of JK Rowling and her writing process, and my teenagers loved his trivia about the books. We saw parts of Edinburgh we’d never know about on our own. I recommend him and the tour to any HP fans!

Sam S, Lesser Mugwump at The Potter Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Cauldon of information, love it! Thank you. I'll put that up on my website as some point. Enjoy Inverness, the bike tour there looked really good, it stopped in their wee Botanic gardens.

Reviewed 9 October 2018 via mobile

We took the tour to learn more about Harry Potter and our expectations were more than fulfilled. I can only thank Sam for this magical experience. The little competition we held during the tour made things even better and the guide knew a lot about Harry Potter and was very kind. If you're looking for a tour through Rowling's Edina, this one's an awesome choice.

Sam S, Lesser Mugwump at The Potter Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Thanks so much anja, I've got a great cheesy smile on my face. I'll just shut my ears in an oven door to cure it.

Long may your chimney smoke purple rings

Reviewed 5 October 2018

Enjoy a fun and detailed tour with enthusiastic & energetic young guide Sam. In his wizarding robes he will firstly ask the Sorting Hat to find your Hogwarts house. Then a long and fast paced trot through cobbled streets, down winding alleys, nooks and crannies and even across a graveyard! Ride on a broomstick if you've brought one, otherwise a lot of walking is necessary. Sam is a delightful fountain of knowledge on everything linked to Harry Potter - the books, films and the author's publishing journey to phenomenal success. Suitable for young and old Potter fans alike, with plenty of interesting information about author J.K.Rowling herself. I found it a good way to see a lot of the city's main tourist spots too. Travel back in time amid the mellow golden-stoned buildings of the old town in the beautiful archaic city of Edinburgh. Charmed.....I'm sure.

I used this on my website, thanks so much Jennifer

Reviewed 20 September 2018

Sam is the PERFECT guide for an Edinburgh Potter Adventure.
From Diagon Alley to the grave sites that inspired character names, Sam knows his stuff is personable and lots of fun!!
The 3 hours flew by!!
Even if you only have a passing interest in Harry Potter this walking tour of Edinburgh makes for a good day out with some magic thrown in.

Thankyou so much, that's very kind.

It's a magical time of year
xx

Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

The Duke of Wellington watched as the sorting hat decided which house each member was in as a prize of a chocolate coated frog awaits the winners. Setting off Sam takes the group to Diagon Alley past Dragons visiting the graves of Tom Riddle, Mrs Moodie, McGonagall, James Potter & more to the 3 restaurants JK Rowling wrote at, we gaze into the window at one that JK Rowling once gazed out to spot we're standing along the way we meet Dolly the sheep & see the chess set inspiration and many other things, also wands appear as if by magic at the end you will meet Hermione, Hagrid, Mad Eye, Luna and who knows then suddenly nearly 3 hours has gone and it's time for Sam to enter his portal......great stuff a few $ well spent !

Sam S, Lesser Mugwump at The Potter Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

LOL, this is a great summary thanks David. Yes port-keys, they mess with your stomach - I have to separate jumps by 3 hours, or I arrive covered in funny coloured liquid. It's quite smelly.

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

Sam our tour guide was absolutely wonderful. So kind, informational, and personable. He took group pictures, took any questions, and even extended the tour to show us some hidden gems. He really loves what he does and it’s infectious. He walks SUPER fast, but in the hustle and bustle of the city, you understand why. He was so much fun and even wrote the sweetest e-mail afterwards with a Hogwarts poem and extended his thanks. Great tour! Thanks Sam!

Samuel S, Lesser Mugwump at The Potter Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2018

Thankyou so much Jessica. Yes a Ukranian Ironbelly ate my legs and now I have enchanted wooden ones. They only know stop and Warp (I blame too much Star Trek, bless them). I may try binding them with a length of rope and see how they manage it.

Reviewed 3 September 2018

This was a fun experience for any fan of Harry Potter who is looking to see where J.K. Rowling to her inspiration. Our guide was excellent and was fun to walk around with. He kept a cheerful spirit despite the rain and the tour was so intriguing, especially seeing how much information he had on J.K. Rowling and the Potter world. I loved this tour.

Thanks so much Brittany. Edinburgh council is running a survey about how we want the city to be in 2050. I've submitted rain free. Maybe if we all point our wands at the sky together and say Evanesco, the rain clouds would vanish. Just have to get everyone out of their offices and cafes at once.

Thanks for choosing me