“A walk on the (fairly) mild side”
Review of The Khukuri

The Khukuri
Reserve with OpenTable
The Khukuri is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #321 of 2,504 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Nepalese
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West End
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A walk on the (fairly) mild side”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Probably the first experience of Nepalese food for either of us.

Plus points: a good space, perhaps seating 50, friendly service and a bottle of OK red biddy at an OK price. The prawn puri (shared) was well executed and would have been a generous starter for one. Pilau rice was good and a plain naan very good indeed - thin and almost crispy, cut into user-friendly segments.

Slight reservations: Sultan lamb, from the 'Medium' section of the menu was not just very short on curry heat but also rather bland. And the Piroo Piroo chicken, while bursting with flavour thanks to the Nepalese spices used, also fell short of what we would call medium based on experience of other cuisines. Maybe we should have asked before ordering.

Visitors to Edinburgh staying in the many nearby hotels should not be put off. This is pretty good, and there are certainly inferior eating places around Haymarket.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank j0egreen
Giri B, Manager at The Khukuri, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear customer,
Thank you for your comments, we will be more specific laying out our menu according
To spice and hot so that one can choose as per their choice. Everyday learning and thank you once again for your comment.
Manager

Malvern, United Kingdom
“1st but not last”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

This was my first visit and it was sort of by accident. I was walking from my hotel to the "Haymarket" pub and passed it on the deliberateway; stopped and booked, went for a drink and returned 15 min.later. I am not a Nepalese food expert but I have had Momo before so I chose the mixed choyla for a change; Brilliant Again I chose an unknown dish,Solukhumbu Bhenda, with garlic naan for main course and again it was just right, spicy but not excessive hot. Portion sizes were ample and the service was attentive but not overly so. My visit was luck this time but will be deliberate next time.
I recommend the "KHUKRI" unreservedly

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Biffo47
Giri B, General Manager at The Khukuri, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear customer,
We are glad that you had nice dining experience at the khukuri.
Thank you for your great comment, look forward to seeing you again.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Best Nepalese / Gurkha restaurant in Edinburgh”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I'm a bit of a food tourist so when I saw the rave reviews about The Khukuri I knew that it was high on my list of things to do on my recent visit to Edinburgh and I was not disappointed. The service was excellent and every request was met with a smile. The staff could not do enough for you. Anyone who hasn't had Nepalese food before should pick an item from the House Specialities, although be warned they all sounded so nice I struggled to pick just one.

We ordered a selection of utterly mouthwatering starters (their dumplings are amazing!), the portion sizes were large enough that some people would treat as a main course! Generous is an understatement when it comes to this restaurant. I actually asked the waiter to pick my main course because the menu was so appetising that I really couldn't choose between one gorgeous sounding dish and the next. In the end I had the Piroo Piroo, which was absolutely delicious, topped off with the BEST peshwari naan bread I have ever had. It was so good that I had to ask them to make me another naan bread to take away with me to eat the following day.

All in all, I can't recommend this restaurant enough. My husband and I would definitely book here every time we go to Edinburgh in the future.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank FussyF00die_14
Milton Keynes
“A hidden gem!”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Brought my husband to Edinburgh for 65th birthday celebrations. First night decided to visit The Khukuri as it was close to hotel and we'd not eaten Nepali food before. Wonderful meal, friendly staff .... You must visit!!!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank topsy7
Giri B, Owner at The Khukuri, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Customer,
I am glad that you enjoyed your dining with us on your husband's 65th birthday. look forward to seeing you again when you are in Edinburgh. Also like us in our facebook.
thank you for your feedback.
Mr. GIRI
for Khukuri
Edinburgh
“Fantastic - best for ages !”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We had popadum, mixed starter, Piroo Piroo chicken, sultan chicken, Pilau and plain nan, one beer and one cider £44 great value. The dishes had fantistic flavour. Service was good as well. Would I go back - definately

• Visited February 2014