“Disappointing”

The Rendezvous Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Rendezvous Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #819 of 2,505 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$13 - US$39
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West End
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Went for the set 3 course lunch at £7.99 which is great value but lacked in taste. Although boasted gluten free options, when it came to it the choices were limited and they didn't offer gluten free soy sauce which is widely available in supermarkets Spring rolls were average and the crispy beef main course, lacked crisp. Not even offered chopsticks ( although Chinese people were) and altogether did not feel very Chinese and was unappealing. Won't be back.

• Visited August 2014
EdinRendezvous, Manager at The Rendezvous Restaurant, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Kirsty, thank you for your feedback.

We offer cutlery for lunch setting because it's usually easier and quicker for most people to eat with them, and for a lot of people lunch is only an hour. We of course offer chopsticks on customer's request. And again for gluten free soy sauce, we offer that on customer's request.

Apologies that it hasn't been a great experience for you, if you need anything next time, please request that to our friendly staffs.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“Fresh ingredients, tasty food, lovely decor and impeccable service...”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

It was our first time back in edinburgh for years since we moved to London and we're really glad we visited this restaurant again. The refurbishment as others have mentioned makes a big difference and the service and food have got even better than I remembered it. The food is extremely fresh and the flavours are very well balanced so I think whatever you order it would taste delicious. The staff were very attentive and polite throughout. There was a good mix of diners when we went too, families , couples, friends celebrating a birthday...the whole place has a lovely ambience that makes for an overall wonderful dining experience that unfortunately I'll dearly miss when I go back to London.

Visited August 2014
5 Thank WK_Scot
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“excellent food great service”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I've been coming here for 30 years and finally got round to doing the review. The recent redecoration was necessary but I don't come here for the decor. Special family occasions invariably end up here where the ambiance, service and food contribute to a great evening. They had new staff from Taiwan on this week and she was up for banter as well as ensuring good service. The food is traditional Chinese but maybe now more westernised than it used to be. When I first came here there was a special section for Chinese people but there are other restaurants in Edinburgh now that cater for that market. It's in central Edinburgh and up a stairway that adds to the ambiance of a restaurant that's been here for 50 years. Quite why it's called the "rendezvous" I don't know but worth a visit. Have a pre dinner drink in their new lounge area or visit Mathers bar downstairs to see a historic Edinburgh pub.

3 Thank andy_scot_uk
Falkirk, United Kingdom
“Fan-tastic!”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The upgrade and modern decor has really brought this already great restuarant bang up to date. Out has gone the buffet and instead a generous 3-course lunch menu which is just as filling. The owners are fantastic and have really made an effort. Ask for Vicky!

4 Thank Peter J
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great food in a pleasant environment”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Despite living in Edinburgh all my life, I had not visited this restaurant for nearly 30 years. That was until last Sunday when I took my wife, son, daughter and her boyfriend for dinner. I booked the table through OpenTable as they were offering a 30% discount on the food. I fully expected to have to mention the 30% discount when I got the bill...more later.
I had Thai Fish Cake for starter which were ok and Quick Fried King Prawn in Chilli which was absolutely excellent. There is a fine line when using chilli and seafood but it was cooked perfectly without the chilli overpowering the prawns. The two lads shared a Grilled Dumpling Pork (which is hidden away on the last page of the menu) as a starter. The pair of them loved it!. My son then had Deep Fried Shredded Beef in Chilli Sauce which was awesome!! The other dishes we had at our table included Cha Cha Chicken and Grilled King Prawn Peking Style. All the portions were plentiful and was washed down with Chinese beer and a rather nice Argentinian white wine.
The two waitresses who served us were friendly, happy to chat to us and willing to help us out with the questions we had about items on the menu.
I'll certainly not be waiting another 30 years before I return here and the whole dinner was very tasty in a pleasant environment with friendly attentive staff.
And the 30%?
Yes, it had been taken off the bill which meant that this was extremely good value for money!!

4 Thank David_ChEdinburgh