“Stunning food, great evening. Will be going back.”
Review of Dantes

Dantes
Ranked #223 of 2,624 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$13 - US$32
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I went to this restaurant a few weeks ago, after a sudden booking problem elsewhere. I'd never heard of Dantes before and found it on Trip Advisor.

Simply put, it was one of the best Italian meals I've had. The food was delicious from start to finish.

My boyfriend and I shared a meat platter starter: it was a generous quantity for a starter platter, and the meats were both fresh and mouth wateringly tasty.

Our party ordered 3 different main courses between us and everyone said they thoroughly enjoyed theirs. I can't speak for them of course, but mine was gorgeous (I had the veal escalopes wrapped with Parma ham and sage). It was slightly sweet, which was a surprise, but it really worked.

We also ordered several side dishes between us, and I can't recommend the vegetable side dishes enough. The spinach is particularly worth ordering.

Last but not least, the dessert. I had the homemade tiramisu: simply stunning. I could have found room to eat that the rest of the night. I've never had tiramisu like it. I may well go back just to have that again.

The wine was also a pleasant surprise: the bottle we ordered between us was one of the best I've had for a long time. It says good things to me about Dantes' taking the wine and drinks they offer as seriously as the food.

During the evening the waiters came to talk to us several times. They were very friendly and welcoming to new faces, which is especially warming given they say they have a lot of regulars they know well.

I think my only very small complaint would be that the food was a bit slow to arrive. But then again, I think I can wait a bit for food as tasty as this was!

Will definitely be going back. If you are based in Edinburgh central and are wondering if Dantes is worth the trek out there, the answer is simple: yes, it's well worth it.

1  Thank BeccaLJ

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Visited Dantes with my partner on a spur of the moment decision after reading some of the reviews on Tripadvisor and all I can really say is that it really does live up to the positive reviews

Lovely little restaurant in a nice little part of Edinburgh. Staff were very attentive and the food was delicious.

Will definitely be returning at some point.

Thanks :)

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have been a number of times to the family run restaurant and I am never disappointed. Very friendly and welcoming atmosphere and the food is amazing. I will be back again, well done!!!!!

1  Thank Vicky H
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

We found this terrific Italian on trip advisor and it certainly lived up to reviews. Very welcoming, friendly staff and food was delicious. Three clean plates each us a rarity for us however it was no problem here! Would definitely recommend, just make sure you have sat nav if like us you're an out of towner.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

This Restaurant is local to the area of Colinton in Edinburgh. Having been for the past decade, I can truthfully say this not only one of the best restaurants in Edinburgh, it is one of the best I have ever been too. The service is always impeccable and the food is fantastic.

The atmosphere is always very friendly and you never feel as if you arnt welcome.

I have been here for birthdays, family meals, friends outing and with a partner and I have been very warmly welcomed on all occasions.

The selection of food is incredible and all very nice to eat. I recommend the prawns to start which are extremely tasty.

1  Thank leedsedinburgh