The Canons' Gait Restaurant
Ranked #363 of 2,597 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$11 - US$16
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: Craft beer bar and kitchen Scottish craft beers, live music, cellar bar free to hire. Popular free venue during the Edinburgh Festival
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I like the Canons Gait, and I plan to go back. But I have to agree with the locals – it's not special enough to make it a favorite. I will give it higher marks than the nearby, historic Tollbooth Tavern for its food and drink options (which includes mulled wine during wintertime). It's a nice, renovated, contemporary space. Great for a pint with a friend or a quick bite. But if you are looking for a more memorable pub experience, Holyrood 9A is just a short walk away.

chasgas, General Manager at The Canons' Gait Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

I am glad you enjoyed your visit. The bar is due a refurbishment in a few months hopefully your next visit will gain an extra 2 stars

Reviewed 12 October 2013

We ate here our last night in Edinburgh and had a wonderful time. We traveled with some dear friends and wanted to savor our last moments in Scotland together. This was the perfect place. It's welcoming, casual and relaxing. We enjoyed some drinks before ordering and were not rushed at all. I had the salmon and my husband had the sausages and mash. Both were excellent! For dessert they only had ice cream, but it was delicious. I'm glad we chose The Canon's Gait Restaurant for our last meal in Scotland!

chasgas, General Manager at The Canons' Gait Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thanks for the great review, I have passed your comments on to the staff.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

Oh what a lovely meal: smoked salmon,salad and oatcakes to start - but a portion large enough for a main - and haggis, tatties and neeps for main. This was beautifully presented and really yummy.

The service was friendly and efficient - no worries that I would miss my train.
And the meal was a very good price.

I'll be eating here again when next in Edinburgh.

chasgas, General Manager at The Canons' Gait Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Thanks for the review

Reviewed 30 September 2013

This was the first food place that we have visited in Edinburgh.
The beer and the food was really good and we really apreciatte that.
The price isn't so expensive and is located in the begining of Royal Mile Street.

Thanks for the review

Reviewed 7 September 2013

After a visit to Holyrood Palace, we stop here for lunch. Friendly service and good Scottish beer on tap. Wife and daughter enjoyed their meals. I really liked the haggis, nips and taddies.