“NOT HALAL.”

Cuisines: Chinese, Malaysian
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Southside & Holyrood
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I'm a Muslim traveller and I googled halal restaurants in Edinburgh as I wanted to bring my parents for a Malaysian dinner. I stumbled upon Kampong Ah Lee and checked it's website to see if it was halal, which it did state that it was. After walking to Kampong Ah Lee from our hotel all the way in Queen's Street, we arrived at the restaurant and was dissappointed to see that there was pork on the menu. I went inside to further confirm and the waitress said that the chicken was halal, but they still served pork. I doubt the restaurant owners understand what being a halal restaurant really means. I'm sure it's a nice restaurant, as the reviews sound encouraging, but I would like to inform fellow Muslim travelers that it's not Halal as stated on their website.

3  Thank Eleenaism

Reviewed 1 June 2013

We have been to this restaurant on a few occasions. We have never been disappointed. The food is always freshly prepared and delicious. Hot and spicy king prawns were too hot to handle until they had cooled down. Roti Chennai is excellent. Prices have gone up recently but well worth it. Having lived and worked in Malaysia I can assure you this is the best Malaysian food available outside Malaysia!

Reviewed 1 June 2013

I have eaten here many times and have never been disappointed. The food has always been delicious and is great value for money. It's usually very busy so would advise booking so you know you're not going to be turned away from a guaranteed excellent authentic Asian meal.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

We visited this place as neither my partner or I have visited a dedicated Malaysian restaurant before. We both love Asian food and were excited to try a new place, thankfully we were not disappointed!
We had a table booked for 8:30 on a Friday night, and when we arrived the place was absolutely jumping - definitely book if this is the time you want to eat! It was full of young students, Asian groups and couples and had a great, lively atmosphere.
We were quickly seated and served our drinks (lovely, ice cold Tsing Tao beer) and perused the menu. There are a lot of exotic things which we weren't familiar with, so I looked them up on my smartphone to check if they were typically made vegetarian as this wasn't indicated on the menu.
We were absolutely starving so were grateful the food came quickly - for starters I had the home made Roti Cenai with curry sauce which I could have happily eaten several of, and my partner had Salt and Pepper chicken wings. I opted for Ma Po Tofu and fried rice for my main course, which was succulent and flavourful and the best fresh non-fried tofu I've ever had in a restaurant. The serving was huge and I filled myself to bursting as it was SO GOOD. My partner had Nasi Goreng and reported equally high levels of enjoyment.
We were on our way within an hour with full bellies and swearing to come back next time we visited Edinburgh. This is a total gem - from the outside it could be mistaken for a run-down takeaway but inside is a little slice of Asia with the best Tofu in town!

Reviewed 4 May 2013

I have been to China three times and I must say this place is very authentic Asian restaurant, cheap and large portions. Excellent big soup bowls