“shame”

Cuisines: Chinese, Malaysian
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Southside & Holyrood
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Just moved in to Edinburgh from Southampton when we had a brilliant Malaysian restaurant - food just like in Malaysia. I made a mistake of ordering a take away in Kampong, simple nasi lemak. The box was filled with rice, 2 tiny pieces of chicken, a spoon of curry sauce that wasn't enough to cover a tenth of the rice, half a green boiled eggs and 2 slices of cucumber. Disgrace for 7 pounds. I'm so mad cause I was looking forward to that meal. I will not go there again

1  Thank Kate M

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Right, you are in Edinburgh, near Royal mile, hungry and tired scrolling through Fringe or other city tours. Just keep walking down a little further till you reach this tiny little, blink and miss restaurant tucked cozily on Clerk street[opposite Lloyds TSB bank]. Trust me,your wait will be worth it!
How did I discover this place? Well accompanied by few of my pals from uni, returning from a volunteering task near Arthur's seat, super tired, super hungry we headed to Kampong Ah lee as one of us knew what we were headed for. We all straight away ordered for a highly recommended dish Chao kway teow!! Apparently, its quite a popular dish all over the world who knows about this Asian delicacy!!
The place might look a bit crunched/stuffed up at the first look when you enter but, trust me it just adds to the warmth of the company you are in.
The staff is friendly if you are, loosen up to the probable communication gap due to language barrier so, go through a well described menu,point at pictures on menu,ask for specials or recommendations they will help you right away. Excellent range of meats, noodles or rice to choose from. Scroll through the walls or if in the menu for the Malaysian drinks. Authentic taste and value for money for sure :) Might be crowded at peak hours so reserve if possible or wait if you can while dropping by as there is someone who's bound to finish soon ;) Was quite a regular there...

1  Thank Shubztravelbug
Reviewed 6 January 2014

the service!! Had a great starter and was looking forward to my main course. brought the wrong order and when I mentioned this to the younger lady, There was a shrug of shoulder and told " Its ok, No? you have that now. " I was gub smacked and till now regret why I didnt insist on the correct dish!!! Wife told me the other lady was going to change it but no the younger one was having a right go at her for this.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I like the braised pork rice here. It has a large proportion and tastes like an authentic one in China. But I don't like the noodles here because it's a little bit too salty. The service is good.

Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

Visited yesterday and realised that I have been visiting this place for 8 years regularly !!!! Time flies ! Prefer the Fountainbridge location as it is more relaxing. As a Malaysian i can safely say the quality of the food is outstanding ! My fav dish is the Malaysian Curry Fish cooked in the claypot. I have recommended many friends, taken clients for meals and they have turned regulars visiting this restaurant. What I love most about this place/ besides the food is that the homely feel you get. Would like to thank Uncle Lee, Aunty, Tina, Alan , Monica and of course our fav waiter of the year - Teddy! You have always made us feel at home and part of your Kampung !!!!

1  Thank Rietva R