“Quirky B&B, but falling behind on the basics”

Art-House Morita B&B
Ranked #260 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We stayed at the Art-House Morita B&B in July. The B&B and its owners (2 men, Kozo and John), are a quirky couple. The B&B itself is like an Aladdin's Cave, filled with all sorts of ornaments, trinkets and art work. It seemed that almost every square inch of wall space was covered in some sort of painting, which came from a variety of different periods. While I don't profess to be a great Art buff, the individual items in the collection failed to make a great impression on myself, or my wife. However, it certainly is a highly unusual setting.

The owners are a quirky couple and I believe tried their best to serve us and be generally helpful providing information about Edinburgh. However, we found the atmosphere a bit stiff, lacking in the warmth of a traditional B&B. Perhaps this is not surprising, given you are staying in a museum.

Our main issue with the B&B was the standard of upkeep, which was poor. Our room was quite dusty, which was quite surprising, given the ornaments are a magnet for dust. The bedding was clean, though quite dated. Likewise for the bed, which was of average comfort and considerably dated. The location of the B&B, while not Central, is within an easy Bus/Taxi ride of the Old Town.

The toilets / Bathrooms were not clean, with the second bathroom quite dirty. The toilet seat of the second bathroom was up and rim of the bowl was filthy and covered in hairs. Neither of the toilets were cleaned while we are there and the toilet rim was left in a disgusting state for all of the 3 days we were there. Both bathrooms were dusty and housed a large collection of old soap containers and discarded shampoo bottles of former guests.

The owners also own a Cafe in the Old Town, at which both spend their days. As a result, it is my opinion that the upkeep of the B&B has taken a back seat, while they devote their energies into the Cafe. The owners therefore need to get their priorities right, in my view, and devote more attention to the basic upkeep of the B&B.

The problems outlined above can be easily remedied. In the absence of this, we would not return and do not recommend this B&B in its current state.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank AnEnglishmaninAsia

Reviewed 18 April 2012

We stayed 3 nights with Kozo in the twin room. Indeed the house gives a different feel from most B&Bs because of all the paintings and artefacts in every part of the house. The breakfast was good. Kozo was very attentive while John was very chatty and opening to sharing his views. You will marvel at the passion and drive that both Kozo and John has. Try a visit to their cafe down the royal mile at (204 cannon gate) for some home-cooked Japanese food. We realised that there werent too many japanese restaurants/cafe around town.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I visited scotland first time, and stayed here first 2 days and the last day of a journey.

The guest room is fantastic!! having special time surrounded by art collection.

I appreciate the hosts Mr Kozo and Mr John who advice me about transportation and tourist spot.
Look forward to coming back again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I feel guilty for taking so long to write this review. And if it was not for the other reviews on trip advisor I would never have found them. Art-House Morita is a home away from home. Travelling solo was made easy with the friendly and helpful advice from both Kozo and John via emails and personal contact. The home is spectactular, A feast for the senses. The breakfast is flawless. The hosts delightful. I cannot recommend this B&B more highly. I hope to go back someday soon.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank MelskiSquires
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I stayed at Art-House Morita for two nights in November 2011. I took buses from the Edinburgh airport. It is fairly easy to get to the Art-House Morita by bus. It was, however, a bit complicated to find a bus stop on the North Bridge to the Art-House Morita.

The hosts, Kozo and John are very nice people. I had dinner (ordered in advance) on the night arrived. It was nicely baked trout which was perfect after a long journey. We had coffee in the front room after dinner and they share the stories of their collection.

Breakfast is something to write home about. I particularly liked Kozo's original recipe Oatmeal. Everything they served was enjoyable.

If you are a solo-traveler or a couple who enjoy a quiet cozy place, I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I went to Edinburgh after Christmas with my boyfriend. The trip was wonderful and also we had a really good time in Morita B&B--Cosy and quiet place with plenty of superb antiques. I booked the room by email Kozo, he's quite friendly!
Thank you very much. I will definetaly recommend it to my friends!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2012

A truly unique experience. Art House Morita, as other reviewers have noted, is more than a simple bed and breakfast; it also an arts trust headquarters and it houses a fabulous collection of Scottish and Japanese works. The place has a wonderful, homey feel and the advantage of staying as a guest is that you peruse the collection at your leisure throughout the duration of your stay.

Kozo and John, the curators of this beautiful home are hospitable, warm and welcoming. They keep the rooms of this peaceful and tranquil house impeccably clean. The bed was very comfortable and we enjoyed a decent sleep every night. It’s worth mentioning that two bathrooms are more than sufficient for the number of rooms the bed and breakfast has. We never had to wait for the shower and as the bathrooms are directly next to the room, you maintain a sense of privacy.

John’s two course, delicious Scottish breakfast is worth 5 stars alone. The owners were even kind enough to source vegetarian haggis for my partner and I so we could sample the delights of this Scottish delicacy!

Whist I’m on the subject of food; at the time of writing, the owners had just opened the doors to their new café at No.204 Cannongate. Definitely stop by if you get a chance. We went there for lunch and we were served green tea and delectable yakisoba noodles. It’s delicious food and hot drinks at reasonable prices. No doubt the owners will have plans to transform the café into an exhibition space too.

I can’t praise Art House Morita highly enough. The place is physically spectacular and the owners run it with such extreme consideration, energy and enthusiasm that your time there can’t fail to be anything other than extraordinary.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple