“Great fun, seeing many important sights”

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Edinburgh
Edinburgh Old Town Pub Crawl
Ranked #1 of 214 Nightlife in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The best Tours in Edinburgh City! Free Walking Tours, Craft Tours, Bike Tours… We combine ecologically friendly tourism with social responsibility to give back to our beloved city of Edinburgh what offers to us. Come check out City of Edinburgh with us!
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We loved this tour. Our tour guide John (an Edinburgh native) was great - witty and well informed, a history student. We saw many of the important sights on this 2.5 hour walking tour, got an overview of Scotland´s and Edinburgh´s history, and - for those of us who love the books - were introduced to some of the places that inspired the Harry Potter series. I´d recommend this tour to anyone. The tour is free, but tips are of course appreciated, as the guides do not get a commission.

1  Thank Magicofbooks

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Although the weather was against us I ploughed on with the free walking tour of the town i had booked ( pack an umbrella) We met outside Starbucks and in groups went off around different areas of Edinburgh. The guide has vast knowledge and made the tour fun with humour as well as interesting stories. (Harry Potter history for any fans too)
I would recommend this tour to anyone travelling alone or with groups as you get to see the highlights. Three isnt a charge but for guide please give a tip at the end for their hard work.
I felt alot more confident walking around the city afterwards too. So much so I have booked a group private 3 hr tour for a work group in the summer

1  Thank UvulaRoc
Reviewed 13 July 2014

A couple of days back, we did the 2pm Edinburgh free walking tour with our guide Jonny. Jonny has a degree in politics and history and is a born-and-bred Edinburgher (yes, apparently that is what they are called). I lived in Edinburgh in my early 20s exactly 20 years ago for two years and I kid you not: I learnt more about Edinburgh in our two hours with Jonny than I did in my two years of living there. The Scots are natural storytellers and that is what makes the Edinburgh tourist experience so rich: they know that history is bought to life only through people's stories. From William Wallace to Robert the Bruce to John Knox and Adam Smith, you get so much out of this tour. Suddenly the whole Royal Mile, the Grassmarket and through to the Greyfriar's graveyard - it feels like every statue and building - has a story to tell. Jonny was the most enthusiastic, fun and engaging storyteller and you could ask him anything from his perspective on the current separatist referendum to the connections Harry Potter has to the city (he is a serious-panties Harry Potter fan).

At the end, you pay Jonny what you think the tour is worth - there is no pressure though - and I noticed people gave really differing amounts - not a reflection of some people being stingy and others not - more a reflection of if you don't anchor a value around something like a range of values you seem to end up with wildly varying values based on your perceptions and what you can do. There were three of us and we gave £50 - it was one of the best tours we had done and went for nearly three hours and we were totally engrossed the whole time so was very much worth it.

Also reminded me of what I did feel 20 years ago - that walking through the old town, you get the sense it is a city of half-living, half-dead.

1  Thank Lisa V
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Our your guide Sabela was knowledgable and funny. So animated and had so many stories that you normally wouldn't hear. It's a free your but she honestly deserved all tips she made! Lovely city, lovely tour.

1  Thank Cobba1
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My daugher and I (along with three other friends), just returned from a week in Scotland and we took the Sandemans Free Tour of Edinburgh. It was a wonderful tour of various historic sites around the Royal Mile, as well as an informative (and extremely funny) introduction to the city in general, Scottish history, culture and current events. Colin was our tour guide, and he had us laughing throughout the two-plus hours we spent with him. Since the guides work for tips, they throw themselves into their work, and it shows. The time flew by, and at the end of the tour, we would have happily paid him to keep going for another hour. We highly recommend this tour.

1  Thank Shannon T