“Nice”

Ranked #1,585 of 2,460 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$19 - US$32
Cuisines: European
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: This quirky establishment in Edinburgh has a hip, East Village vibe. With its vivid blue exterior, exposed brick walls and vintage wooden furniture – B'est Restaurant has a light and airy bistro atmosphere and is well-known for its imaginative menu produced using locally-sourced, fresh and seasonal ingredients. Signature dishes belie both a rustic French and classic British influence, and B'est specialties include the roast breast of duck served with pak choi and a chilli and orange jus; grilled salmon fillet on a bed of creamed leeks and shallots; and the summer vegetable and truffle oil risotto. Always buzzing with a chic crowd, B'est Restaurant is perfect for intimate parties and relaxed meals with friends.
edinburgh
“Nice”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

It was a Friday night and we had booked weeks in advance. The place was busy when we arrived at 8 pm. The décor quite basic but open with clean lines. I'm trying to think of distinguishing features that would set it apart but can't really.The wait staff were courteous
We all ordered the Haggis Tower with Neeps and Tatties with a Whiskey sauce for our starter which was delicious. I had a Chicken cassoulet with Toulouse sausage for my main which was simply cooked but pretty good. The chicken had crispy skin, the sauce was flavoursome and fortunately not greasy as cassoulets I have had before. The others ordered the grilled Cod and the pasta which I was told was good too.We had desserts that we shared between us. The Champagne sorbet, Toffee crepe and profiteroles. They were all nice.And that about sums up the experience. NICE. It was another delighted visit

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank tidehard

“AVOID”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I'm not a negative person and not the kind for writing a bad reviews... but after this terrible evening I feel I have to!

Our soup starters were watery, tasteless and look warm. Our main courses even worse. We both ordered the roast pork which was poorly presented and alarming under cooked. I didn't dare eat mine, as it certainly had not been any thing like roasted. My boyfriend did, he finished it, result: he was violently sick 5 minutes after leaving the restaurant. Unsure if this was down to the meat being under cooked or perhaps due to some hygiene issues. I have to say the floors were dirty and the bathrooms even worse. So I hate to think what the kitchen is like.

1 Thank thechristina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“service very attentive”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

The waiter was attentive and polite and very pleasant. Good service and very good food. Have already recommended it to friends.

“This was revolting!”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Booked on line - taking a chance of rather mixed reviews, but latest ones were positive. When we arrived we were shown through a nicely laid-out restaurant, only to be taken to the back room, which was very basic . We discovered that the pleasant room was reserved for the Festival's 'Fawlty Towers Experience'. The menu looked fine and we ordered vegetable terraine and mixed fish starters which were reasonable, if unremarkable. We ordered the house white, and the house red, which were perfectly good wines. Three of us ordered calves liver for our main dish and I asked the waiter how it would be cooked. He assured me it would be medium/rare. When they arrived, they were in a sloppy mess of onion gravy and tasted like casseroled lambs liver - completely overcooked. I complained and they took the food away. In the meantime, my wife went to the toilet (walking through the hilarious FW experience) - only to be asked to 'throw over some toilet paper' to the adjoining cubicle because it had run out! I then went to the toilet and was prevented from going into the main restaurant, and was directed to what I presume was the staff toilet, which was dirty and didn't flush. Returning to the table, the second attempt at the calves liver arrived (20 minutes after sending it back) - with the waiter saying 'I hope this is alright - I didn't know what was wrong'. This was even worse - more over-cooked, in another pile of onion slop. Worse than my worst memories of school-liver-dinners. We then left. This was probably the worst meal I have ever had served to me in a restaurant, and wouldn't recommend anyone to ever eat there.

2 Thank Jallen56
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“tart tartin? No apple cake with chocolate ice cream.”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We had the set menu, chicken main course OK, nothing special though. I was excited to see tart tartin on the pudding menu as its delicious. I thought Best was French so it would know about this caramelised apple tart. No I was so sad to get apple sponge with crumble topping, heated in the microwave so all soft and a ball of chocolate ice cream on top. Totally wrong, but edible.