“Affordable accommodation in central Edinburgh”

Princes St East Backpackers
Ranked #187 of 218 Speciality Lodging in Edinburgh
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Centrally located in Princes Street. Very near to walk from Waverly Station (where train arrives from London) and also near to all food and shopping outlets. However, the downside is , no lift available and all guests must walk the stairs to the top to check-in. Guy at the reception is extremely friendly and helpful. We had a room for 3 of us and near to kitchen and bathroom. But there are other guests who are very inconsiderate and chatting away loudly right outside our door, some even lying on the floor (and they are girls!!). Cafe at the road level, 2 doors away, serves cheap and hot meals. Overall, this hostel is fine if you are on a tight budget, as it is clean and centrally located.

Room Tip: No lift/elevator available so those with heavy bags- beware ! Must walk a few floors to reach recept...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 September 2011

This hostel was overpriced for what it offered. We visited Edinburgh during the fringe festival and therefore came across overpriced hostels and not much availability. The staff were friendly and helpful, the kitchen was well stocked and the common room was big enough with a couple of computers for use (you have to pay) and wifi is NOT free and at the time, my friend was unable to use it as it is not compatible for Macs.
The location is excellent. The beds were terrible. There were lockers for personal belongings. The showers were not great but not bad. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 September 2011

We stayed at a shared 4 bed mixed dorm, we did have a lock on our door but individual personal lockers were not provided even though the hostel booking website had claimed these are in all rooms. Bathroom was very clean every day, and so were the toilets. Room gets vacuum cleaned every day. All the staff was friendly and helpful. Yhe hostel is a short walk from Royal Mile and all the important attractions of the city. The hostel was a bit noisy until 11pm.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 5 August 2011

When we arrived in Edinburgh we had a difficult time finding this hostel, it was not located directly on Princes St. When we found it, we came upon the infamous stairs. Now when we were choosing the hostel, we read there were lots of stairs, but didn't realize lots meant 80 stairs. (not exaggerating) Other than the stairs, the hostel was located in a good central location, inexpensive, clean and very helpful staff.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2011

The very friendly staff, the cleanness and the cheap price make of this place one of the best to stay in Edinburgh and have fun. The beds and the kitchen are very clean and everybody smiles! In addition, I forgot my laptop and the staff did the maximum to gave it back to me very fast: the team is really very nice and helpful!
I recommend this place!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 February 2011

I guess the thing that every one should know before they stay here is that these dorms don't have locks on the doors and all dorm doors open freely to everyone so if this concerns you request a room with a locker, as the safety box at FD is just a wardrobe watched over by staff and not actually a safety box. The place is secure though and you have to show your guest pass to get in after hours.
I only rated value as low because of the rate I had to pay for New Years, was 40pounds a night on a 4 night minimum, and when I arrived they weren't even sold out so I though it was unfortunate as I only needed to stay 2 nights but paid 4. Otherwise I'm sure its good value at other times of the year, and I know at lot of travellers choose to live long term here. The facilities are good and my 10 person dorm had heaps of space. I rated sleep quality as low just because it was NYE and there is a couple of bars on the street level there and I heard yelling, swearing and bottles smashing pretty much all night. But thats what earplug are for, right! The staff are friendly and they all hang out in the reception for drinks so if you want to make friends this is where to find them.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 November 2010

nice and really helpfull staff, very good position. cleaning every day and cheap. i am sure i ll come back to this hostel again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends