“You're brave to stay there.”

Princes St East Backpackers
Ranked #165 of 202 Speciality Lodging in Edinburgh
Coventry, United Kingdom
“You're brave to stay there.”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We had high hopes for Princes Street East, but they were let down quite quickly after arrival. While the woman manning the desk was lovely, getting to the front desk was a pain, as it was up a ton of stairs and we had three large suitcases with us. It took about half an hour to get the key to our room (it wasn't the woman's fault and she dealt with it well, but it was still half an hour), and we went up more stairs to get to our room. The room was... frightening. There was a double bed and enough outlets, but someone must have left the window open and there were moths and bugs flying all around the walls and ceiling. We stayed out in Edinburgh extremely late just so that we wouldn't have to sleep in the bed because we were worried that there might be bugs in it. The bathroom was fine, but for the price we paid (during the Fringe so it might have been marked up) it should have been cleaner and more private. Frankly, it was falling apart and we got out early in the morning so we wouldn't have to spend another night in the hostel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brianna F

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Very poor in general. Modern building? Everything is extremely old and even deteriorated. Not to speak about the facilities maintenance: there's usually one of the 2 ovens broken, or even both of them recently (for more than 2 weeks!), also some hubs not working properly...

I could also talk about the fridges, but you get a general idea. If we focus now on the bathrooms, well, sometimes there's no soap, no hand towels (maybe receptionist's job, maybe is not even important) I guess the worst thing here is that... there are 4 showers close to reception, one of them broken around 3 months ago... and still not working! The same with 3 showers more allocated anywhere in the hostel, but I did see and use the first one I talked about, can't say the same about those 3 ones.

The laundry room is full of dust... and when I say full, it means FULL! You definitely should have a look. Luckily the rooms are sometimes cleaned for 20-30 seconds... so dust is not that huge.

Kitchen is closed from 12-2 or from 2-4. I understand. The thing is you never know when is going to close. When I asked the staff (receptionists) it happened to me 2 times that I was given the wrong information... so imagine. And then they told me I have to pay extra because I forgot to pay the week in time! (and of course, try not to pay by card: they almost push you to pay in cash because they need it change (???)). And I understand it's not my fault because it's not stated anywhere, and nobody told me before. But let's tell them the kitchen / showers / etc. are not working properly... "sorry we'll fix it soon". Yeah I guess I'll have to wait for years... and the manager doesn't care about it at all. What's more, he doesn't care about you at all. This is the way they treat customers...
because we are customers, whether we live here or not.

Staff are rude and not helpful nor professional at all, and it's clear they're tired of their role.

Living in a hostel can be quite uncomfortable, due to lack of privacy, bed quality (really, beds are not good here), security (by the way, here rooms' doors are not locked and somebody stole a lot of money from several guests recently) and the like. I've stayed in many hostels and I understand it may be a general condition. But you'd better go and stay in any other much better hostel for the same price and a similar or better location.

• Stayed October 2013

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Stayed here for three nights in June in a double room, about £15 a night and had an enjoyable stay. The bedroom itself was sparsely decorated but had a lot of storage space and a sink. Bathroom was shared but had excellent facilities and was impeccably clean (they clean it for about 2 hours everyday in the afternoon)the showers were really nice, never had to wait or queue.

I'll just add they do a lot of social events with everyone staying at the hostel, great if you're travelling alone and free evening meals on certain nights. The staff were really helpful with directions and maps- friendly, nice people. Good atmosphere. They have a small shop in the reception area, a really big kitchen, social area, fridge space etc. Really good central location, would highly recommend. Cool artwork everywhere!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RoboMc
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 11 October 2012

The unpleasantness of my stay here was mostly the fault of the other guests. The cleanliness of the hostel did leave something to be desired, though. The location is great; close to everything, New town and old town. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Convention lockers provided. The common areas leaked warmth. Would stay here again for a stopover, but not for the 4 nights I originally stayed.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed here during the festival season and paid about 90 Pounds a day for a private double room. When we arrived at 4.30 pm, the room was not ready. At 7 pm, they gave us the keys to a room which was already taken. The rest was ok, but nothing more.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christian K
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2012

My friends and I stayed in this hostel July 2011. We loved it so much, and Edinburgh that after we finished our other travels we came back in October. My friend and I ended up staying here for just over a month. There are lots of room options from dbl rooms to all girls to large shared. Rooms are spacious. Linen is clean. Bathrooms are cleaned every day. There is a tv room, and common room. Also a a kitchen with facilities to cook your own meals. Laundry services also. Everyone is so friendly! Also free dinner every Sunday night! And your 7th night accom is free! Only problem is that computers don't work. Tv is old(but who comes to watch tv anyway) Some things are run down. Overall it's a great experience and u will want to stay longer! It's in a great location also. Beware of the stairs you have to climb to get up there!

• Stayed October 2011
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We booked this hostel at the last minute after deciding to stop in Edinburgh on a whim. They automatically put us in the cheapest beds possible, which was nice but we went back and requested a private room as we didn't want to be in shared-gender rooms. They were very accommodating, though we had to pay for the fourth bed even though there were only three of us (not complaining, it makes sense). The hostel seemed pretty safe, you weren't allowed in unless you showed the blue card that you were given at registration, during which they took down all of your ID info and made sure you were 18 years old. The staff were friendly and helpful and the atmosphere here was fun. The place was a very short walk from the Royal Mile. It was on the top floor, no lifts, all stairs. It is situated over a pub or a bar or something, which was extremely loud as we were trying to go to sleep but we were so tired that it didn't end up being a problem. The biggest problem was that towels were not provided, and we didn't have any of our own.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise