“Not even a proper booking system”

Princes St East Backpackers
Ranked #167 of 205 Speciality Lodging in Edinburgh
London, United Kingdom
“Not even a proper booking system”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

It was obviously the only hostel avaialble in a busy weekend in Edinburgh but the experience started funny as they contacted me saying they could guarantee I would have a room but not inform which one and at which price since it was only organized as the guest arrives. When I said I didin't want to stay there anymore of course they've charged a cancelation fee for the first night, A cancelation for a room I was never informed about. Anyway, I gave up staying there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Mirellapda

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Amazing hostel in the heart of beautiful Edinburgh. Hostel's location is ideal and there's only two minute walk from the airport bus stop. Only minus is the stairs that you have to climb to get to the hostel (top floor, old building and no elevator), but on the other hand it's good, it gives this hostel its own peace. Princes St East Backpackers has a good and relaxed atmosphere and the world's most coolest TV room! They have couches and a huge collection of movies, both VHS and DVD. There's also great artwork on the walls, made by the people who has lived here. People are very nice and the facilities are good; there's laundry facilities (£1), well equipped kitchen, dining room with board games and books, and showers and toilets in every floor... I don't have any complains. Rooms are basic hostel rooms, so you have a bed and a locker. I traveled alone and stayed in a 6 bed dorm. The hostel is clean and the staff is helpful. I would definitely recommend this hostel to everyone! Plus there's a free dinner every Sunday, which is pretty well for the cheapest hostel in Edinburgh. All in all, I really like this hostel. It feels like a home away from home. :) Suitable for friend groups, solo travelers and couples.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Where to start! First off, the "artwork" all over the hostel is creepy. There are no locks on the doors, we did not feel safe at all. The first room we were given was filled with drunk idiots and you could feel the music and vibrations through the floor from the club which is attached to the same building as the hostel. We moved rooms. The one good thing I will say is the staff! The woman who helped us was beyond amazing especially considering the traumatising experience that happened after we changed rooms for the first time! The new room was fine, quiet, except the walls and doors are paper thin so we could hear people walking by. However, I was woken up at 4am by a drunk idiot pissing in the sink NEXT TO MY HEAD! Needless to say I was unimpressed and freaked out. The woman was again calm and wonderful with me. We ended up with a private room at the end of it all, and did not pay extra for this. The location is great, although a bit creepy, and the staff is great, but I still consider this the hostel from hell!

• Stayed October 2013

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We had high hopes for Princes Street East, but they were let down quite quickly after arrival. While the woman manning the desk was lovely, getting to the front desk was a pain, as it was up a ton of stairs and we had three large suitcases with us. It took about half an hour to get the key to our room (it wasn't the woman's fault and she dealt with it well, but it was still half an hour), and we went up more stairs to get to our room. The room was... frightening. There was a double bed and enough outlets, but someone must have left the window open and there were moths and bugs flying all around the walls and ceiling. We stayed out in Edinburgh extremely late just so that we wouldn't have to sleep in the bed because we were worried that there might be bugs in it. The bathroom was fine, but for the price we paid (during the Fringe so it might have been marked up) it should have been cleaner and more private. Frankly, it was falling apart and we got out early in the morning so we wouldn't have to spend another night in the hostel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brianna F
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Very poor in general. Modern building? Everything is extremely old and even deteriorated. Not to speak about the facilities maintenance: there's usually one of the 2 ovens broken, or even both of them recently (for more than 2 weeks!), also some hubs not working properly...

I could also talk about the fridges, but you get a general idea. If we focus now on the bathrooms, well, sometimes there's no soap, no hand towels (maybe receptionist's job, maybe is not even important) I guess the worst thing here is that... there are 4 showers close to reception, one of them broken around 3 months ago... and still not working! The same with 3 showers more allocated anywhere in the hostel, but I did see and use the first one I talked about, can't say the same about those 3 ones.

The laundry room is full of dust... and when I say full, it means FULL! You definitely should have a look. Luckily the rooms are sometimes cleaned for 20-30 seconds... so dust is not that huge.

Kitchen is closed from 12-2 or from 2-4. I understand. The thing is you never know when is going to close. When I asked the staff (receptionists) it happened to me 2 times that I was given the wrong information... so imagine. And then they told me I have to pay extra because I forgot to pay the week in time! (and of course, try not to pay by card: they almost push you to pay in cash because they need it change (???)). And I understand it's not my fault because it's not stated anywhere, and nobody told me before. But let's tell them the kitchen / showers / etc. are not working properly... "sorry we'll fix it soon". Yeah I guess I'll have to wait for years... and the manager doesn't care about it at all. What's more, he doesn't care about you at all. This is the way they treat customers...
because we are customers, whether we live here or not.

Staff are rude and not helpful nor professional at all, and it's clear they're tired of their role.

Living in a hostel can be quite uncomfortable, due to lack of privacy, bed quality (really, beds are not good here), security (by the way, here rooms' doors are not locked and somebody stole a lot of money from several guests recently) and the like. I've stayed in many hostels and I understand it may be a general condition. But you'd better go and stay in any other much better hostel for the same price and a similar or better location.

• Stayed October 2013
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Stayed here for three nights in June in a double room, about £15 a night and had an enjoyable stay. The bedroom itself was sparsely decorated but had a lot of storage space and a sink. Bathroom was shared but had excellent facilities and was impeccably clean (they clean it for about 2 hours everyday in the afternoon)the showers were really nice, never had to wait or queue.

I'll just add they do a lot of social events with everyone staying at the hostel, great if you're travelling alone and free evening meals on certain nights. The staff were really helpful with directions and maps- friendly, nice people. Good atmosphere. They have a small shop in the reception area, a really big kitchen, social area, fridge space etc. Really good central location, would highly recommend. Cool artwork everywhere!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RoboMc
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 11 October 2012

The unpleasantness of my stay here was mostly the fault of the other guests. The cleanliness of the hostel did leave something to be desired, though. The location is great; close to everything, New town and old town. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Convention lockers provided. The common areas leaked warmth. Would stay here again for a stopover, but not for the 4 nights I originally stayed.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo