“Family weekend”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Two Hillside Crescent
Ranked #43 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 March 2013

What can I say about such a fantastic place. It has all been said before. The weekend with my sisters was just great but even better because Elaine made our stay so comfortable. She is a mine of information about Edinburgh and understands what people want from their stay.
The decor the comfort the food the rooms every last detail has been well thought out. Wonderful.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 March 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our recent visit. Not one thing we would change. Two Hillside Crescent is perfectly perfect in every way. Thank you Elaine for making us so welcome. We highly recommend staying here and we hope to return someday soon.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank bobbiegene
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Before even arriving at Number Two, I knew this was place was going to be a winner. The Proprietress, Elaine, was very professional and particular during the telephone booking, with a calming manner and cool understanding of my requirements. I asked if my dogs could stay in Number Two with us, but she regretted that even as a dog lover herself, this would not be possible – I have never been turned down so gracefully. Elaine suggested that I park outside Number Two where I could keep a close eye on the car and that my Boys stayed there overnight. Of course I agreed. I think Elaine could make me agree to anything actually..
Arriving in the seemingly War Zone Edinburgh, with dug up and closed off roads, my stress levels began to rise steadily, as there seemed to be no clear route to Number Two at all. I managed to get lost in the dreaded dig up, so I called again - anxious after a day driving from London - but again, professionalism and calm greeted me over the telephone. I was guided as if by a magic carpet to Number Two. Arriving, Elaine answered the enormous door with serenity considering she was dwarfed by this massive Georgian set of double doors - I was immediately seduced by glimpses of the most elegant Entrance Hall, teasing me from behind my Hostess, to come in. Carefully tinted in the shaded and earthy familiar tones and the floored layered with a beautifully chosen rush matt of huge proportions, edged in chocolate canvas- it was only the swiftest of views, but as I still had to park, unpack the car and sort the Boys out: I tore myself away from the Temptress that is Number Two Hillside Crescent.

Elaine advised me directly where to park and how much to put in the meter so that I could take my time in the morning.

Once inside proper, I was given a very precise yet brief explanation of how Number 2 operates, and was handed a very modern key fob for entrance while I stayed, and advised on the buttons to push to exit. Elaine advised on Breakfast times and asked for any dietary requests for the morning. I was offered Gluten Free and Caffeine Free if required. How refreshing to be second-guessed.
Number Two Hillside Crescent is a genuine Georgian beauty. I shan't spoil the surprise for you, but needless to say the Bedroom was gargantuan and warm, with a beautiful modern bowl of fresh flowers, jug of iced filtered water, Wi-Fi and a bathroom that would keep a Super Hero content. In the Wardrobe were light easy Dressing Gowns and also a Luggage Tray which is always so welcome for quick stays, and of course stops a guest plonking a Suitcase on the bed. The latest copy of Monocle sat on the desk, along with Conde Naste Traveller.
Showered and changed, I was ready for dinner at The Dogs in the New Town and Elaine called a cab for us. After a delicious supper, I returned to Number Two and with a cool swipe of my Key Fob
across the pad, I was back in and making my way up the massive staircase to the most perfect bed in Edinburgh. The crispest of cotton sheets, ironed so perfectly, and made with such precession, that I longed to feel the sharpness of the pressed crease that ran symmetrically down the center of the sheet against my skin.
Breakfast was perfect. There is a huge table here, to give Guests privacy, yet community- a very clever idea. Every manner of fruit and muesli sat on the sideboard, decanted within hand made pottery in bright delft blue. The over long, antique, silver serving spoons did not escape my attentive eye. My breakfast highlight was the Mango with Passion Fruit salad and the Ballymaloe style brown Soda Bread.

With the crazy green acres of Royal Crescent and Carlton Terrace combined with the real life of Broughton on the door step I could not have chosen a better establishment for my, and my Boys needs.

Long may this miracle remain. I can truly say that in all my years of travel, my vicious and unforgiving eye, for once, rested easy. A great success for Elaine.

I departed with a heavy bout of House Envy that stayed with me all day like gout.
I am often asked where I would suggest for the perfect get-away, but I flounder to recommend anywhere, as I am very specific and particular. Never again will I say 'there is nowhere that I would nail my name to’.

Elaine deserves every accolade available.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank APR100
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Glenn and I returned for a second visit to our heavenly hideaway in Edinburgh.On arrival we were given a wonderful welcome from Elaine and our room was better than any 5star hotel.Thank you so much for another great stay in your beautiful home.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PamRae
Reviewed 31 December 2012

We were in Edinburgh at the end of November and one of the best things about our trip was that we got to stay in Two Hillside Crescent again - this place is just sensational! We were only there for one night but it was the most perfect place to stay. The location is ideal for walking around and exploring Edinburgh and the bed is easily the comfiest i have ever slept in. Elaine and her team at Two Hillside Crescent really know how to provide luxury in the best way. The fresh seasonal fruit and porridge i had for breakie was delicious and my husband enjoyed a fry. Cant recommend this place highly enough whether you're going on a city break or on business, i would find any excuse I could to stay at Two Hillside Crescent!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kelli S
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We stayed at Two Hillside Crescent for a well-needed break after a particularly busy time at work. I hate faceless, chain hotels and wanted a bit of home from home comfort and luxury whilst being in a convenient spot to enjoy Edinburgh's many sights and sounds. Two Hillside Crescent gave us that and more. We received a warm welcome from Elaine along with a very welcomed pot of coffee and some delicious homemade shortbread. We were booked into a superior room which was beautifully decorated and didn't feel like a hotel at all. The room was extremely large unlike poky hotel rooms that would probably cost the same elsewhere in Edinburgh. The photo I've put on here doesn't do it justice. The bed was huge and very comfortable. Both the room and adjoining bathroom were spotless. Elaine was helpful without being instrusive and instantly made us feel at home. Breakfast is served round a communal table which won't be to everyone's liking but were happy with it. The food served at breakfast was delicious and was a great start to the day. Vi who served us our breakfast on both days was friendly and helpful. Nothing seems to be too much bothere at Two Hillside Crescent. Location is great for those wanting to enjoy Edinburgh's city centre. It took us about 10 minutes to walk in to the centre, and there seemed to be plenty of buses going past. Being located round the corner from my favourite Edinburgh haunt, Valvona & Crolla was also a bonus! Staying at Two Hillside Crescent felt more like staying at a friend's house rather than in a hotel; but those lovely friends that give you peace to come and go as you please! We'll definitely be making this our Edinburgh bolt-hole.

Room Tip: The superior room was huge!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MissKazzieB
Reviewed 22 October 2012

So, where to start ? This place is amazing. Elaine has created the most serene, luxurious and welcoming bed and breakfast we have ever stayed in. The location is excellent, only a few minutes walk to shops and restaurants, yet located away from the hustle and bustle of the really busy areas. The rooms are so beautifully appointed and the beds are beyond belief comfortable! Breakfast is delicious and served by lovely helpful and friendly girls. I stayed with my partner in a room overlooking the street whilst my elderly parents overlooked the rear yard. We all loved it and could not agree who had the best room. They were both the best! This place is a real find. Thank you Elaine for a truly wonderful few days in beautiful Edinburgh.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple