“Go here here rather than the Apex in Grassmarket.”
Review of Metro West End

Metro West End
Reserve with OpenTable
Metro West End is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,701 of 2,599 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$0 - US$54
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: West End
Description: In the heart of the Haymarket area of Edinburgh, the Metro West End Restaurant and Bar is just a stone’s throw away from the city centre. The restaurant and bar offers quiet, informal dining in a relaxed atmosphere to both hotel guests and visitors alike. Metro West End is friendly and welcoming, with the modern colours and shapes adding to the contemporary feel that is offered by the fresh food on both the bar and restaurant menus. The food is both traditional in the form of a Taste of Scotland menu offering many Scottish favourites and meets more contemporary tastes throughout the al a carte menu that contains world-wide influences.
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Good food, excellent service. Only down side is location. Waitress very helpful and knew menu well. Portions very large, suggest paste starter portion if not too hungry.

AdamGray1, Manager at Metro West End, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Dear Kevin and Shona

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent visit to Metro West End. I am pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us and I hope I can welcome you back to the restaurant again soon.

Kind Regards,
Adam

Reviewed 25 July 2013

We walked passed the Metro Restaurant a couple of times before deciding to dine there as it was pretty busy on both occasions. It was a Sunday evening and on that occasion we were the only people dining and had our choice of where to sit. Another couple arrived before we received our food, order, ate and left before we had finished. We opted for the ‘Taste of Scotland’ menu, both having the pan fried scotch beef as a main. The beef wasn’t the best we have had and a little fatty and came with a few roasted peppers and other vegetables which were unrecognizable after cooking. Desserts were cranachan cream and banana & butter scotch mousse, both of which were rather bland and heavy going, just far too much cream. The wine list is very small, quite expensive and unimaginative. Service was okay but nothing special and we felt rather uncomfortable throughout the meal. We won’t be rushing back.

AdamGray1, Manager at Metro West End, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Dear Guest.

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent visit to our restaurant.

I am extremely disappointed that your visit did not live up to your or my expecations of Metro West End. Please be assured that i have shared your feedback with the kitchen and restaurant teams in order to imrpove the service that is being delivered consistently.

If you wish to discuss your visit further, please do not hesitate to contact me on adam.gray@apexhotels.co.uk.

I hope this did not deter you from dining in other restaurants within the Apex Hotels group.

Kind Regards,
Adam

Reviewed 20 July 2013

Average meal - lukewarm soup. overcooked steak and poorly constructed dessert - nevertheless was tasty and not worthy of complaint. However, the manager, Gary [--], applied a promotion to the bill which was not asked for nor on the menu. This rendered the Tastecard offer invalid according to him and he refused to remove the promotion, stating, "Well you've already had money off, look". All this was done whilst he stood behind me, and took a phone call from someone, expressing his disinterest and lack of enthusiasm for the evening's service!! His tone was decidedly unhelpful and disinterested toward me, the customer. This was an appalling display of service and I have been effectively overcharged. DO NOT USE YOUR TASTECARD AT THIS RESTAURANT AND WITHOUT THE DISCOUNT, THE EXPERIENCE IS NOT GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY. The only positive was the attentive waitress service which as excellent and professional. Christina is not working in an establishment worthy of her abilities.

2  Thank emmaterriere
Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

Dined here as a party of 8, taking advantage of the rare opportunity to use a taste card on a Saturday night, getting 50% discount for 6 people on one card!
Alongside the a la carte menu, there was a very nice looking 'Taste of Scotland' fixed price menu (haggis etc, didn't try it...)
All in all, a good meal, nice menu and great value, even before the 50% off! If I'm being picky, service could have been slightly quicker but all in all was fine, one dish was returned (very overseasoned) but was dealt with politely and a replacement sent out swiftly.

AdamGray1, Manager at Metro West End, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2013

Dear Oli

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback regarding your recent visit to Metro West End. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable meal with us and you thought it was value for money even before your discount. Taste card is becoming very popular, especially at weekends as you said, and i am glad that it created greater value for money for you and your family.
Apologies for the over seasoned dish, but i am pleased that it was sorted out by the manager on duty promptly and to your satisfaction.
I look forward to seeing you in the restaurant again soon,
Warmest Regards,
Adam Gray
Duty Manager

Reviewed 22 April 2013

Recently went to the Metro Restaurant within the Apex Hotel in the Cities West End. I can honestly say that this is up there with the one of the best places I have eaten in Edinburgh, with an overall package of excellent food, great staff and a relaxing atmosphere.

I went with my girlfriend for dinner on a Friday night and as soon as we were sat down the staff couldn't do enough for us and all with a smile. I ordered the sirloin steak with chips, mushrooms, tomato and a peppercorn sauce. The steak was massive and cooked exactly how I asked - with handmade chips which were also very good. The peppercorn sauce topped the dish off brilliantly and I would highly recommend it. My girlfriend ordered the pan fried beef from the Taste of Scotland Menu with seasonal veg in a mushroom sauce. It would of been rude not to taste this as well and again was cooked to perfection.

For dessert it was a tough choice with a couple of real stand out options, however we went for the banana mousse and the white chocolate panna cotta. Initially I had the panna cotta however, this didn't last long as it was so good that it was taken from me. Which wasn't too bad as the banana mousse was also excellent and capped off a great evening of food. Throughout our meal the Restaurant manager (Julie) and waitress (Susanna) were extremely attentive and clearly knew their menu inside and out, even offering some advice when struggling to decide on just two of the desserts on offer.

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this restaurant to anybody - give it a go!

1  Thank liam w
AdamGray1, Manager at Metro West End, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

Dear Liam

Thanks for your recent review following your trip to Metro West End Bar and Restauant. I was extremely pleased to read that you had an enjoyable visit and Julie and Zuzana provided you with excellent service.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Metro West End in the very near future.

Best Wishes