“If you can..... walk in for best rate!! Online through Fraser Suites not cheapest!!”

Fraser Suites Edinburgh
Ranked #51 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 July 2011

My husband and I stayed in April 2011 for 1 night before a 3 day tour of Scotland and 2 post nights after our tour. We chose them after lots of research online and thought we got the best rate for a hotel room directly through the Fraser Suites website. (We picked them because of the close proximity to Waverly Train Station and the Royal Mile, as well as previous trip advisor reviews)
The rooms were a great size, clean and comfortable. Bathrooms were clean and great size. On our post night stay the towel warmer wasn't working in the suite but not a big deal for us! A big bonus for us was the onsite free laundry availble to guests.
However I was not impressed that although I had to pay in full for the suite at the front desk at the end of my stay the posted price in the window was considerably cheaper than my "best rate guaranteed" price I paid on line. When I asked why I wasn't getting the cheaper rate posted on the window instead of the price that was given when I booked online the front desk since I was paying right now for our stay, the front desk clerk informed me the website is not owned by Fraser Suite but owned by another company, thus I had to pay the reserved rate online at the time of booking. (We would have saved close to 100 UK pounds for our stay if they had given us the posted price on the window.) I think it is stupid I had to pay the online price when I had to pay for the suite at the front desk and not in full online at time of reservation. I would have cancelled my reservation and just walked in for the best rate but due to the cancellation policy I would have had to pay in full for my reservation anyways.
So best advice I have is if you can stay there it is worth it for great rooms and great location, but walk in if you can for best rate.....or book online and check cancellation policy and see if you can cancel penalty free if you find the window rate better on site!!!
Also on the Fraser Suite website it says there is free airport shuttle service,,,,,,there is not!! You have to pay 20UK pounds per person. Which is a lot considering my husband and I caught the airport shuttle bus across from Waverly Train Station for 7 UK pounds each.

Room Tip: Walk in rate was about 35 UK pounds cheaper than online rates.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laelkins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Louisville, KY
Reviewed 23 July 2011

This hotel was very nice. Staff was very helpful and helped us with our needs. There is no airconditioning in this place, which is not uncommon for this town. There are fans in the rooms. When we checked in we were on the top floor and it was too hot. So, they moved us to the first floor which was great! We were very comfortable after that. The hotel is in a great location to everything, just off the miracle mile. We really enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Location was great. But, we were disappointed in some basic amenities such as no wifi in the room and you had to pay for it in the lobby. Our room on the 6th floor was very hot even though the daytime high was 58F. We later read other Trip Advisor reviews with similar comments. They are correct. There was no electric in the bathroom for a hairdryer. Our sink stopper was broken and staff miscommunicated the repair so it took longer to get fixed. Insufficient clothing storage in the room. Our first stay at a Fraser Suites and not sure we'd stay again.

• Stayed June 2011
Brussels Belgium
Reviewed 13 July 2011

I assume that, by virtue of the fridge and microwave and the standards of the day, the room qualified as a suite, but it was a very small room. Still, It was beautifully decorated - modern and comfortable. I have no complaints about the room (I'm very glad we were not in the front of the hotel - the bagpipes on the Royal Mile - three steps away - while lovely, would have been annoying after awhile).

No - this hotel's issue is it's staff. They seem lethargic and bored, and can't be bothered with guests once you've checked in and they have your credit card. If you don't have a concierge, obviously front desk staff is who you turn to for restaurant and attraction questions. In our case, it seemed like our asking them to make a reservation for us was beyond their personal interest. In one case, I asked a REALLY BASIC question about one of the main attractions in E'burgh and the person at the front desk had no clue what I was talking about. Sure, I could have run back up the three flights of stairs (elevator painfully slow) and looked it up on my computer, but I was on my way out.

Dear Management: Please train your front desk staff to give that little extra effort for the guests (even if we are stupid tourists) and to smile every so often. Surly, disinterested staff makes for disgruntled guests. You're sitting on a gold mine there - it's a beautiful hotel and your location and value for money is excellent...you just need....tweaking.

All in all, not awful. But not awesome, either.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Motherwell
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Stayed here on 18th June 2011 for our 12th wedding anniversary (with no kids) for one overnight, it was a short walk from Waverley Station and up onto the Royal Mile.
Location is second to none views over the city excellent from our 5th floor window, rooms all done to a high standard all have ipod docks,irons a microwave,fridge.
Decor nice but we found the beds very uncomfy.
One nights stay was expensive at £160 for B and B , there are more expensive rooms avaliable should u want them.
Breakfast as expected full Scottish and was great.
Had a lovely overnight and i should visit the capital more often seeing as we are only 40 mins away.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed 1 July 2011

A lovely hotel, well-located and comfortable. The friendliest and most helpful staff that we have come across anywhere.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Stayed last April for a 4-day romantic getaway in Fraser Suites Edinburgh proved an excellent idea indeed. Not only its location is prime, off the Royal Mile and overlooking the city (I booked a suite which had views on the Firth of Forth, the City and up till Arthur’s seat….embracing the whole landscape and area, that is). It is also a charming place with all amenities, amiable staff and stylish décor. Again, the suite was practical, large enough (large room, living room / kitchen area and bathroom) and a lovely place to cuddle and/or take a rest from visiting Edinburgh. Not many downsides, although the cleaning is definitely insufficient : room has not been properly vacuumed during our stay albeit we did draw the management’s attention onto this, we had to beg for a replacement to the L’Occitane products. Really minor, overall. Also, when coming from the city, watch the stairs…..climbing is not for the faint-hearted. But again, this is the land of the Scots ! Would definitely recommend, and even come back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view on the city
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple