“Great hotel - view not as promised”

Fraser Suites Edinburgh
Ranked #49 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Great hotel - view not as promised”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Booked a Executive Suite, as brochure promised "Large and spacious suite, stunning views, period features, additional lounging area with bathrobes and slippers"
Large and Spacious - TICK. Unfortunately the view was neither stunning - it was looking into the Judiciary building next door and there were no bathrobes or slippers; have to wonder if I got the room I ordered in the first place :?
I even asked the receptionist for a high room (thinking it may be quieter from road) and a good view. She had already got the room selected before we arrived, so I assumed it was a good one, but it could have been better - room was 504 by the way.
Anyway, other than that the room itself was excellent, two flatscreen TV's (one in bedroom and one in lounge) and the period features, fit and finish was top notch (very nice high ceilings and lush curtains).
I would definitely go again, but would INSIST on the view, as so many others have raved about it - I feel slightly short changed over this, as I spent a considerable amount of time in the room, so it meant a great deal to me.
As for amenities, gym = good, but there is no bar to speak of, which is a shame, although there are SO MANY bars and pubs nearby, that is probably why.
We had breakfast in the restaurant every morning (they only do breakfast and lunch - no dinner) and it was excellent value - why go to a local cafe when its the same price and metres from your room??
Anyway - I don't mean to put this place down - I really rate this hotel - just ensure you get what was described to you.

Room Tip: Apparently ask for 6th floor and a good view - wish I knew that when I checked in!!!!!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
ZJakri, General Manager at Fraser Suites Edinburgh, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Dear Reviewer,

thank you very much for your detailed description of your stay. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Edinburgh and to Fraser Suites Edinburgh. We are very proud of the quality of our rooms and I am happy that our brand new gym was also to your taste.

As you would expect this from a historic building, all our rooms are individual in shape and design, but all of them are finished to the highest standards.

We are in the process of refining our food and beverage operations, our bar and restaurant will be back to full service by the end of March, so during your next visit you will be able to enjoy a drink or a meal with us throughout the day.

Thank you very much for bringing the issue of the bathrobes and the slippers to my attention, I will certainly address this with my Housekeeping Manager.

Prior to your next visit, please do not hesitate to contact me or our front of house team and we will allocate a room with a view for you, subject to availability. Please also make use of the staff contacts in our welcome letter handed out on arrival and we will do our best to resolve any issues during your stay.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back at Fraser Suites Edinburgh.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Belfast
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Our stay was unfortunately only for one night but Fraser Suites was perfect for enjoying the old town. The views from the room over Princes St were great and the room itself was beautifully decorated. The bathroom was spotless and the kitchenette feature would be very useful on a longer stay. The staff were also very helpful and accommodating. In response to something I read a few times in earlier reviews, we were on the 6th floor and had no issue with temperature control in the room at all. Recommended and I'd love to stay again.

• Stayed February 2012
Dear eg82,

thank you very much for this great review, I am delighted that you enjoyed the experience at Fraser Suites Edinburgh.

It is great to read that our staff delivered the service we are famous for and the standard of the room was also to your satisfaction. We are confident that our suites and rooms are amongst the best in Edinburgh and we take great pride in maintaining them to a very high level.

Thank you once again, and I am looking forward to welcoming you back.

Assitant General Manager
Yorkshire
Reviewed 18 February 2012

stayed for two nights in february,sadly would not recommend,the check in was good and friendly but the accomodation was in need of a revamp the walls were scuffed and marked the lift was slow the bedding was stained it felt dirty ,the rooms were white and huge,not homely,it was cheap and convenient for the station,no style or luxury.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
ZJakri, General Manager at Fraser Suites Edinburgh, responded to this review, 19 February 2012
Dear wildcat15,

thank you very much for your feedback. I am delighted that you found our staff efficient and friendly. However, I am disappointed that you felt that one of our large sized and new bedrooms was not to your taste. In my welcome letter to our guests I always offer assistance with any issues so that they are dealt with immediately and to the complete satisfaction of our clients. I am sure in this instance we could have easily assisted you.

I would be grateful if you could contact me directly at zsolt.jakri@frasershospitality.com regarding the linen issue and the marked walls in the room so that I can share the information with my housekeeping and maintenance teams. Once again, thank you very much for taking the time to share your views, this will help us to improve our standards even further.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Kidderminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2012

This hotel is amazing, it is the best location ever, and very well priced.
I booked this hotel through a third party. I looked on here at some reviews which was all good and looked on google maps for the location, it is my second time to Edinburgh and once i got there and started to walk around to find my bearings from last time, i then realised that this hotel was in the best location for everything, dead in the middle of Edinburgh. Its a 5 to 10 minute walk to train station, princess street, grass market its just perfect. the hotel itself was just perfect, nice rooms and EXCELLENT SERVICE!!!, when i booked they asked if there were any prefrences and i asked for a top floor room with a perfect view. and they done exactly what i asked and i'll say what a FANTASTIC!! and AMAZING!! view we had!!! At night looking at princess street, balmoral hotel and the scott monument all lit up was just so nice and in the morning waking up and looking at the sea was just picture perfect. Hats off to this hotel, i will DEFINATLY be stopping again!!!
Many thanks to Fraser suites
Paul

Room Tip: Just ask for sixth floor with nice view.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
ZJakri, General Manager at Fraser Suites Edinburgh, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
Dear Paul H,

thank you very much for your fantastic comments, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Fraser Suites Edinburgh.

As mentioned in your feedback, our rooms are amongst the best in Edinburgh, spacious, new and well-maintained. The location of our hotel makes us the perfect base to explore the city.

I am very happy that these two strong points were matched by the service provided by my team and your had the experience we are famous for. I am immensely proud of the team we have here and we all work together to ensure that our guests leave us with the best possible memories.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the city.

pittsburgh
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Great room.Great Location. Great Price. Steps away from the Royal Mile, minutes away from the train station and the buslink to the airport, we stayed in our well-appointed room for our week's stay in the City. Though small, our room was clean, had a microwave, mini refrigerator, electric teapot, toaster and a very modern bathroom with an American sized shower complete with a rain showerhead and a never ending supply of hot water to luxuriate under. There was a heated towel rack in the bathroom. The thermostat was accessible to warm up or cool down the room though we were never uncomfortable. The staff was knowledgeable, friendly and very accommodating. The only downside was the location of our room. It was one floor up from street level and faced a construction site across the way. But since we were there to see the sites from the street, this was a non issue. And despite it being a construction site, it was very quiet. Fraser suites bill themselves as a boutique hotel and in my experience, they live up to that billing.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
ZJakri, General Manager at Fraser Suites Edinburgh, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Dear hipandhopping,

thank you very much for your feedback. As you rightly said, our location is unbeatable when it comes to exploring Edinburgh and our rooms and suites are amongst the best in the city. You can find kitchenettes in every room and it gives you the freedom to decide between a night out or a night in - what more you need to make your room a real home from home?

However, the most important for me was that you had found my staff friendly and helpful. We take great pride in providing very high quality customer service to create the best possible experience for our guests and it will be a great pleasure for me to share this very positive feedback with them.

Once again, thank you for your comments. I am looking forward to welcoming you back to Fraser Suites Edinburgh on your next visit to the city.

Rome
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Location, Location, Location! My daughter and I stayed at The Fraser Suites for three lovely nights. The location was superb. The Royal Mile is literally out and to the left of the hotel. Waverly Station and New Town literally minutes away by foot. Our room was very nice with a comfortable bed and a modern bath. Also, very clean. Most importantly, the noise level was zero. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. If you are looking for a great location, a quiet and clean room, and very good service, then you can't go wrong with the Fraser Suites.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Helen K
ZJakri, General Manager at Fraser Suites Edinburgh, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Dear Helen K,

thank you very much for your feedback, I am delighted that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay with us. It is great to hear that the level of service met your expectations. Our location makes us a great base to explore what Edinburgh has to offer and within our historic, listed building we provide the services of a luxury boutique hotel combined with the quality and the space you expect from a high quality apartment - a real home from home. However, what makes Fraser Suites Edinburgh a unique place is our staff, and I cannot wait to share your positive thoughts with my Housekeeping and Front of House teams.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Edinburgh.

Your sincerely,

Z Jakri
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We stayed at the fraser suites for 2 nights and found the whole experience excellent.
The staff on arrival were very welcoming and there was no delay on getting us from the front desk to our room.
We stayed in the courant suite which was fantastic. The suite was made up of a seperate bedroom, living room, kitchen area and large bathroom.
The living room and bedroom both had a large plasma television with cable and ipod docking stations. There kitchen was very well equiped, and although we didnt not cook anything, there was everything there you needed including oven etc.
The toilet was very modern and had a very big shower and his and hers sinks. There was toiletries supplied every morning as well as fresh towels.
Upon arrival there was a welcoming basket waiting for us, which included fruit, home made cookies and cakes, and wine. We felt this was a nice touch, especially after we had only booked the evening before.
The comfort of the suite was also very good and the bed was excellent. The furnishings were all very tasteful, making the overall feel of the room very relaxing. Large fitted wardrobes provided plenty of space.
We couldnt really find any problems with the suite, service or location. The cleanliness of the room was very good.
Perhaps the only downside, although one floor up, is that anyone across the street can see you lying in bed, or anywhere in the suite.

Overall the fraser suites and the room itself easily achieve 5/5. A fantastic location, beautiful suite and excellent service with a smile, made this a great weekend break. I would highly recommend.

Room Tip: courant suite, beautiful room - very large with plenty of luxuries.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gillingshill
ZJakri, General Manager at Fraser Suites Edinburgh, responded to this review, 25 January 2012
Dear Robert H,

thank you very much for your excellent review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are very proud of the quality of our rooms and suites, we have probably some of the best ones in the city. However, we find the level of service equally important and it is really great to hear that our team performed to your complete satisfaction. I am sure that my team will also be excited when I share your comments with them.

Once again, thank you for your kind words. I am looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Edinburgh.

Sincerely